Skip to main content

Motherhood



Some years ago an incident took place, which I haven't been able to forget, till date. I was out one evening, walking my pet dog, when a woman residing in  my building met me for the first time, and the following conversation, or should I say interrogation, ensued..
   SHE : Is it your dog?
   I      : Yes.
    SHE : Why do you have a dog?
   I  : Because I like dogs.
  SHE : Don't you have any children?
   I : No.
  SHE : Why ?
   I kept silent.
   SHE : Do you have a dog because you don't have children?
 I was agitated and had no intentions to answer her questions so, I just mumbled something and walked away. Now, this woman didn't even know my name, but, she wanted to know the reason why I didn't have children! Being a stranger, she should have had the courtesy to simply ask me my name. And she being a stranger, I did not want to disclose any personal matters to her. But, what is it about a woman without a child, that arouses curiosity in people? Does the absence of a child make the woman different or incomplete? And why can't people accept that there might be certain reasons behind such decisions, that is, reason why the woman is ' not a mother'? Why don't people just leave us alone instead of badgering us with all sorts of questions?
    Agreed, that having a baby, or rather, creating a human being in her womb and bringing it safely into this world is a blessing bestowed by our creator on the woman. Agreed, that it is a privilege for the woman to be a part of this miracle called 'child birth', but, does not being able to use that privilege make her less of a woman? That is how it is perceived in our society So, If I look at myself from society's point of view, I am not a complete woman, is that so? Am I a disgrace to my creator because I have not made use of His special blessing to me? I don't think so.  I think , and know, that I, and many women like me, have made the right decision. We may not have brought a human being into this world, but, we did save a human being from leading a life of misery and pain had it been born in spite of the health risks involved. And doesn't a mother do her best to protect her child from adversity? So, doesn't that make us much more loving mothers?
    I do have a child, though-my pet dog, And he may not be born in my womb, but, he grew in my heart! I have brought him up well. I shower him with my maternal instincts and love him unconditionally. I look after his health and understand his moods and his needs perfectly well. And I just read that " being a MOTHER doesn't mean being related to someone by blood. It means loving someone unconditionally and with your whole heart"!  So, we - I speak on behalf of all the women in a similar situation- may not have used our ' privileges ' ,but, we have surely used our hearts in a way He wanted us to, thus making Him proud of his creations!
    Every woman on earth is a mother, making use of her blessing and special privileges. She showers a child with her endless love and affection. The child may not belong to the human race, or may not be born to her, but, that does not make her less of a 'mother'. And, I think, this is what the world needs to understand and appreciate.






IndiBlogger - The Largest Indian Blogger Community

Comments

  1. UNCONDITIONAL LOVE is the only defination of 'MOTHER'.I totally agree with you Shilpa, this love can be for her own child, for other's children or for her pet. Love is love.Perhaps the Indian woman mindset is still such that she believes delivering a baby is the only purpose of her life.She is brought up in such a way that unfortunately she believes all can be well only when she delivers a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heart n mind over d body; love remains d same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well written Shilpa. In my eyes you are the best mom to Chiku!

    ReplyDelete
  4. uncoditional love is motherhood.no need to give a birth to child.motherhood is the states of mindset.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This resonates with me as I just published a blog post last week on this subject "I was born a mother." I didn't have a baby until I was 40 years old but I was a mother long before I had children, You are right. Motherhood is nurturing and loving and giving and that is imparted to people, pets or children. She had no right to be so rude to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol! Glad to have you on my side! :)

      Delete
  6. I so hear you on this one Shilpa. Really?! Such an odd question as nowadays women may not even be fertile to carry a child! And I so agree with you in that my adopted cat was "my baby!" ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Lord! Can't believe someone actually asked you that! Then again, 'people' seem to surprise me a lot off late. People should really just mind their own business

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really Sid. People SHOULD mind their own business!

      Delete
  8. People, right!! They ask questions as if they can't sleep if we don't answer them the way they want. I have one kid, 1 year after he was born people started telling that now its time for me to have another one. Honestly, I hate when someone else talk to me like that. I just get so much angry. No one cares how we live, how happy are we and all, but they have an opinion on how we should live. Its pathetic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So troe, Vinitha. Thats how people are. But, there is one thing I have learnt from such things, and that is I do not bother what goes on in other people's lives, neither do I go, give them my opinions as to what they should be doing and when and how etc.

      Delete
  9. Good grief! That woman had a lot of nerve to approach you! I've certainly had my share of inappropriate comments too, Hubby and I love our dogs but never had any desire for human children. You are so right that we are all mothers and fathers in some way, just not necessarily the conventional one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next time someone asks me such a question, I am going to be shameless and ask them, why they have children and not dogs! Hope that shuts their mouths! :-)
      You are so true, Debbie! We are parents, but to different kind of babies.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The motherhood challenge.

            A  few days ago, a dear friend of mine wrote a touching post disapproving the 'motherhood challenge' that has been going viral on Facebook. Motherhood challenge is all about women posting pictures with their children and tagging other women, who according to them, are 'awesome mothers'. But, my friend felt that by adding the words challenge and dare,  they were drawing a divide between themselves and others who weren't blessed enough.  I was touched by her views that defended women who might feel marginalised by such a challenge, although that might not be the motive behind it at all.
          Wonder how many women would feel the way my friend did! How many of the 'blessed ones' try and understand that behind such decisions might lie a reason, a helplessness that gives a woman endless pain? We haven't chosen to stay childless because of a lack of fondness for children. There were reasons and circumstances that stood in the way of us holdin…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…