Skip to main content

My weighty issues.

  A few weeks ago I met an old friend after nearly two decades. The first thing she said on meeting me was, " You look just the same even after twenty years!!" For those who don't know me, well, I weigh the same that I used to twenty years ago.
  Now, there is a section of the population who would love to swap places- or weights- with me. But, I started counting my blessings and thanking my lucky stars only recently. I have been through the entire gamut of negative emotions ranging from jealousy to hatred to an inferiority complex to depression and to any other there might be there. I was told not to worry, that I would surely put on weight and look 'better' once I got married. The magic of marital bliss would bring a glow to my 'sunken' face. But, even after several years of my marriage I was just the same. My doting husband ,who was imagined by some to thrash me if an extra morsel entered my mouth, would buy all the hunger inducing tonics and ' magic potions' that he could lay his hands on in the hope that there would be a miracle. But the needle on the weighing scale didn't move an inch! I was depressed, but, hubby dear goaded me to not give up and to start eating with a vengeance ALL that I loved to eat.
   I decided that enough was enough. There was really no point in crying over what I could not change. I would accept my 'slim figure' and make the best of it. So, I stopped climbing the weighing scale. And stopped stressing over my weighty issues. And started enjoying my God given 'size zero' body! During lunch break at my workplace, all the desserts were passed over to me. My colleagues grumbled that by merely sniffing the sin foods they would pile on a few kilos. I was looked at with pride ,with a hint of jealousy, by the girls! Ah! I was ecstatic! I felt re-born! Gone were all the negative emotions . Instead, I started revelling in my luck! I wouldn't ever have to worry about fitting in those old jeans. I would always 'fit in', no matter how old the jeans or the blouses. I wouldn't have to step into a gym ever. No huffing and puffing at the gym along with a hundred sweaty bodies. Just a stroll in the fresh air and I am done exercising. Ah! I hate being sweaty anyway!
   So, bring on the cakes and the pastries, the rosogullas and laddoos and all those 'sin foods'! Why are these called sin foods anyway? What did you say? Calories? What are calories? Who gives a damn about calories? I say, what's ;life without a few sins along the way?!!

Comments

  1. Shilpa you prove it so well that 'the grass is always green on the other side'.Even I have not put on much in last 15 years but it is not by choice though.And yes! you are right what's life without a few sins that dont harm others.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weight is a non issue 2 U n will always remain so.
    U r truly blessed 2 b d way u r.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On love and attachments.

Learning to live without the person whom we loved more than our life is one of the toughest things we humans experience during our life.
Almost every moment of our day we spend in their shadows, enveloped in their love; we don't even realise when they became an extension of our selves. We come to accept them along with their flaws, their peculiarities, which often have the potential to drain us of our patience. Yet, we love them, unconditionally, at times wondering how we survived before they entered our world. Often, we also wonder how we will ever survive after they leave our world.

The human mind is such.  Its ability to give birth to a thought and then mull over it however unpleasant it may be, is quite baffling! We realise we stand to lose our sanity if we don't get rid of that negative thought; we understand how important it is to live in the moment and enjoy it with the loved ones we fear losing someday, yet we keep worrying ourselves to death about what would happen t…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

MOM - Film Review.

Starring: Sridevi, Akshaye Khanna, Nawazuddin Siddiqui.

Director: Ravi Udyawar

Music: A.R. Rahman.

Rating: 4/5


Because God couldn't be everywhere, He created Mother. A line from the movie, it could very well sum up the movie for you. Sridevi couldn't have chosen a better subject for her 300th film. I haven't been a diehard Sridevi fan, but her last film, English Vinglish, changed my opinion of her and that's the reason I simply wanted to see MOM, right on the day it released.

MOM is emotional; MOM is electrifying; MOM is hard-hitting; MOM is riveting, right till the end.  In short, MOM is Sridevi. This could very well be the review in a nutshell, but there's more I would love to talk about.

Devki Sabarwal (Sridevi) is a school teacher, the kind one can never mess with, whoever you may be. However, at home, she struggles to bond with her 18 year old step-daughter, Arya (Sajal Ali). The quiet acceptance and the sensitivity with which she accepts the cold vibes she r…