Skip to main content

Maine pyaar ( kyun ) kiya?!!!

    No, no, no, I am not wondering why the hell I fell in love!!! Though, at times, I do wonder..hehehe!! But, right now, that is not the topic of this blog. Nor is the film with the above name...one which I have not seen and never will!  This blog is about the cult film, that took us by surprise and sowed seeds of love and romance in our fertile minds at the age of 20......MAINE PYAAR KIYA!! You all will surely wonder what is wrong with me, or that this movie is really very old to be written about. True.  I had totally forgotten the film, till today. As I was having lunch, I was surfing channels, when I ran into this film. I asked MIL ( Mother-in-law ) if she would like to see it, which she said she will, and so I let it stay. And, there began the test  of my patience and willpower to watch/tolerate the film we all so loved all those years ago.
    I started squirming in my seat as Bhagyashree made an entry. Ughh!! Try as I might, I could not avoid  her  even with my eyes closed!! Her sugary sweet voice pushed my sugar levels sky high and the spicy daal that I was having seemed to have turned sweet too! I really needed some thing to spice up my food. And Alok Nath and the rest of the senior citizens.....the less said the better.As it is the poor Mr.Alok Nath is already the butt of many a jokes on the net.   I kept going to the kitchen for some or other thing.....as an excuse to avoid what was going on on the tube.
   No sooner had MIL left the table, I switched channels! Ahh!! What a relief! MIL also said she was bored ...yayyy!!!! I was so happy....good riddance ! I was not interested in watching Salman Khan acting really weird and so self conscious and making a fool of himself. Sorry SK fans, but I am no fan of the bad boy of Bollywood.  So, again, I ask the question I did in my last blog...WHY? Why is it that I couldn't tolerate the film I must have seen back then at least 10 times, and many of you all...even a hundred times?! We all , yes we all ; even the stone hearted were converted into die hard romantics by this one; went weak in the knees seeing the girl and the guy on screen, romancing, singing songs,dancing  and doing etc etc! Then why do we find it all utterly ridiculous now? Well, I do! And I am sure, many of you will, too. 
     I think age is not the reason, as much as wisdom is. We have seen the world, experienced life and become wiser about love and romance. I might not be able to tolerate any of today's  hindi love stories ..(.but, will surely love to watch an English love story any day, hehehehe...because of its better story line and  sheer classic production, you idiots!! )  But, love story of this  kind doesn't seem to strike a chord with me.   Of course, there are some which will remain my all time favourites, but, MPK....no more of it, baba! A more mature love story for sure, but, definitely  not the ones which have kids in their teens willing to die for love.....please...there is more to life than that!
   Now, do I seem like the stone hearted one I mentioned above? I may, but  please, I don't need any love story to change my mind set...I would rather be  stone hearted  than watch Bhagyashree knitting sweaters for a whatever-he-was Salman, singing dil deewana....!  This dil ain't gonna be a deewana, ever again, folks!  :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On love and attachments.

Learning to live without the person whom we loved more than our life is one of the toughest things we humans experience during our life.
Almost every moment of our day we spend in their shadows, enveloped in their love; we don't even realise when they became an extension of our selves. We come to accept them along with their flaws, their peculiarities, which often have the potential to drain us of our patience. Yet, we love them, unconditionally, at times wondering how we survived before they entered our world. Often, we also wonder how we will ever survive after they leave our world.

The human mind is such.  Its ability to give birth to a thought and then mull over it however unpleasant it may be, is quite baffling! We realise we stand to lose our sanity if we don't get rid of that negative thought; we understand how important it is to live in the moment and enjoy it with the loved ones we fear losing someday, yet we keep worrying ourselves to death about what would happen t…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

MOM - Film Review.

Starring: Sridevi, Akshaye Khanna, Nawazuddin Siddiqui.

Director: Ravi Udyawar

Music: A.R. Rahman.

Rating: 4/5


Because God couldn't be everywhere, He created Mother. A line from the movie, it could very well sum up the movie for you. Sridevi couldn't have chosen a better subject for her 300th film. I haven't been a diehard Sridevi fan, but her last film, English Vinglish, changed my opinion of her and that's the reason I simply wanted to see MOM, right on the day it released.

MOM is emotional; MOM is electrifying; MOM is hard-hitting; MOM is riveting, right till the end.  In short, MOM is Sridevi. This could very well be the review in a nutshell, but there's more I would love to talk about.

Devki Sabarwal (Sridevi) is a school teacher, the kind one can never mess with, whoever you may be. However, at home, she struggles to bond with her 18 year old step-daughter, Arya (Sajal Ali). The quiet acceptance and the sensitivity with which she accepts the cold vibes she r…