Skip to main content

What has age got to do with it? Or, does it?

       Age is just a number, is what people say.  And it is always better to be young at heart even as you age....is also what they preach.  Right. I do believe in it.  A senior marathi actor  once said that if you stay young at heart, you keep yourself open to new ideas...you are always open to new challenges, acquiring new skills and also trying out something new which you might never dream of. I totally agree with all these fundas, but, I have observed something about myself as I have aged.  And that is, the inability to tolerate things that I used to enjoy earlier, when I was younger. And all this, inspite of staying young at heart!
      Some days back, people celebrated the festival of colours, Holi. There was a time when I loved this festival. I would look forward to celebrating it with all my friends.  I would even select the dress that I would wear!!  And right from morning till afternoon, when mum screamed her lungs out, I, along with my friends, would roam  the streets of my area, smearing each other with those vibrant colours and  drench each other with coloured water. We never really bothered about the quality of the colour used or roaming about all wet and dirty. The fun of the festival eclipsed all these trivial issues. But, now, I can not dream of stepping out of my house on this day.  Getting drenched and coloured is unthinkable! It makes me feel yuck! And I would only  wonder what the colours are made of and which water is being splashed. I will not be able to roam about all dirty and wet, smeared with all those colours.  Leave alone smeared, I will not be able to bear even a pinch of colour applied on my face just to respect the custom of this festival!
      There are some more things I find hard to tolerate.  Motor bikes and high speed. When I was in college, I would zoom around on my dad's Kinetic Honda and be teased by friends that I was a rash driver. I would also love to ride pillion on my hubby's bike and urge him to raise the speed! It felt as if I had grown a pair of wings and I was soaring high in the sky! What fun it was back then! But, now...now, I simply abhor those  mean machines, because that is exactly what they are! They are mean and they take lives!  I also recoil from vehicles that zoom by at great speed.  I shudder to ride with anybody who drives at a high speed.  It sends shivers down my spine and fills my heart with trepidation. The moment the speed rises, I start pleading with the driver to slow down. And if my pleas fall on deaf ears, I pray for divine intervention!
     I am also scared of getting onto  the joy rides at amusement parks, especially, the giant wheels and the scary versions of the sweet and humble merry-go-rounds, which I actually loved when I was younger.  I would much rather watch others from the side lines!  I dislike getting drenched in the rains, which till some years back, I enjoyed to the hilt!  Now, I cannot imagine stepping out in the rain just to get drenched, or even walking in the waterlogged streets with god-knows-what-muck floating in there!
      I really wonder what has brought about this change in me. Is it age? Or is it wisdom that comes with age?  I absolutely know not!  But, age has sure changed me, for the better... or is it worse? Is it only me? Or have you all too undergone such changes along the years? Umm, I think, that even though I have aged, I still am young at heart, but my ideas of fun have changed.  I will definitely not go back to doing all those wild and whacky things just to remind myself of my youth, but, I might surely try out some new wild and whacky stuff that would be age-appropriate and which would fit in with my new idea of fun.  I still have to figure out what those wild things will be. I am going to make a list of things I plan to indulge in, although after a lot of contemplation.  Till then, why don't you all think about the wild and whacky stories of your youth, as well as come up with your own list of to-do wild-n-whacky stuff for the present? Change is good. As is staying young at heart! So, as our senior said, lets all stay young at heart and bring about some new changes into our lives and make them more spirited and livelier!!

Comments

  1. Peace Shilpa Halwe: With age comes d wisdom. In fact I too had experienced d change in me in terms of high tolerance & compromising on fun moments. I had my first bike in my college days; A Hero Honda Sleek (Red) & I then used to race it very fast n furious. I remember I had even clocked just 20 minutes from Vashi to my place at Panvel flat where there were not even a single flyover then n now I am scared to even ride @ 40 speed. Worst is when my son Surya repeatedly ask me weather I did had a license then to drive leave along riding a bike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...Shilpa...I appreciate the subjects u choose...well my experiences with age...the number as u say...
    Holi....I did not like then...I don't like it now too
    Rides....I enjoyed them then...I enjoy them now too
    Regarding two wheelers....I too loved the speed....it indeed gave us the feelings of wings....but now when my son goes out....I keep worrying till he reaches his destination on his Vego....he insisted...he wanted a bike...but I m scared....for him. Yes regarding these machines...I still would love to ride a hardley myself....but now I know...I have to be careful....

    Adventure...I don't think....that has changed...I loved the thrill then...I t gives me a high now too...Infact both my kids like adventure n chrill...mohit has done sky diving n my little Kavya....does all sorts of sling shots, rappling, valley crossing...

    Yes with age...lot of things do change...there is a stability....a feeling of content...

    But I still love being pampered with surprises n still like eating chocolates, ice creams...

    There's a child in everyone....theres fun in doing naughty things....the forbidden things...it's just that we know the risk now.


    Yes it's just a number....age

    ReplyDelete
  3. nominated you for 'Real Neat Blog'award

    ReplyDelete
  4. read details at https://shomabhagwat.wordpress.com/2015/06/19/real-neat-blog/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On love and attachments.

Learning to live without the person whom we loved more than our life is one of the toughest things we humans experience during our life.
Almost every moment of our day we spend in their shadows, enveloped in their love; we don't even realise when they became an extension of our selves. We come to accept them along with their flaws, their peculiarities, which often have the potential to drain us of our patience. Yet, we love them, unconditionally, at times wondering how we survived before they entered our world. Often, we also wonder how we will ever survive after they leave our world.

The human mind is such.  Its ability to give birth to a thought and then mull over it however unpleasant it may be, is quite baffling! We realise we stand to lose our sanity if we don't get rid of that negative thought; we understand how important it is to live in the moment and enjoy it with the loved ones we fear losing someday, yet we keep worrying ourselves to death about what would happen t…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

MOM - Film Review.

Starring: Sridevi, Akshaye Khanna, Nawazuddin Siddiqui.

Director: Ravi Udyawar

Music: A.R. Rahman.

Rating: 4/5


Because God couldn't be everywhere, He created Mother. A line from the movie, it could very well sum up the movie for you. Sridevi couldn't have chosen a better subject for her 300th film. I haven't been a diehard Sridevi fan, but her last film, English Vinglish, changed my opinion of her and that's the reason I simply wanted to see MOM, right on the day it released.

MOM is emotional; MOM is electrifying; MOM is hard-hitting; MOM is riveting, right till the end.  In short, MOM is Sridevi. This could very well be the review in a nutshell, but there's more I would love to talk about.

Devki Sabarwal (Sridevi) is a school teacher, the kind one can never mess with, whoever you may be. However, at home, she struggles to bond with her 18 year old step-daughter, Arya (Sajal Ali). The quiet acceptance and the sensitivity with which she accepts the cold vibes she r…