Skip to main content

Obsessively compulsive...

        Today has been a very tiring day.For the third time since morning my pet dog is in the mood for some fun, which includes jumping and rolling on the bed, throwing the pillows on the floor and watching me run out of patience! No, I don't run out of patience because he is rolling on the bed, but because the pillows and cushions that I had arranged so well and at particular angles are all on the floor or strewn all over the bed. I can see the mischievous smile in his big,brown eyes and my heart melts. But, my mind...my mind is simply unable to take in the scene. The bed cover is also  messed up and it now has wrinkles on it!! Aah! All that hard work has gone to the dogs.....literally! But, for the sake of my little guy, I smile and tickle his tummy and get the sloppiest kiss ever! I then shoo him off the bed and get back to getting the bed in order....all over again...for the third time in two hours!
      Things in my house need to be in order....ORDER. And at particular angles, at set distance from each other. The door mat HAS to be at a right angle from the shoe rack, the dining chairs HAVE to be at an equi-distance from each other and the dining table, the towels HAVE to be hung in a specific style with the design on the front, the utensils on the kitchen platform HAVE to be at a certain spot, the clothes in the wardrobe HAVE to be hung or placed in a specific way.....in short, each and everything in my house has a specific place which is NOT to be altered without my permission....EVER!
    Yes, that is ME. That is my OCD level...UP there..quite like the character from the movie, Sleeping with the enemy. Now I realise why the film was named Sleeping with the enemy! I have been sleeping, eating, living with THIS enemy for so many years now. And let me tell you, it definitely IS the enemy that resides inside my head and makes me do things again and again and go crazy at the first sight of any disarray in my kingdom....er, should I say queendom?!
    And now, with the monsoon here, life is one never ending roller coaster ride! Wet floor, wet bathroom tiles, wet foot wear, wet clothes, wet hands, wet water.....ohh, I AM going crazy! Wet WATER?!!! I wash my hands and dry them, then wash them and dry them again...to stay free of germs. And how I dread opening doors...I will have to touch the doorknob and the handle which has been touched by people with god-knows how unclean hands!
    Believe me, all of this drives me crazy....totally insane. And try as I might, I am unable to bring an iota of change in my outlook towards the (unclean) world around me. That is the reason I am writing this post today. I just want to know if I have company or if I am all alone, battling this unnerving nuisance of a problem that is OCD. I can actually feel a tornado inside my head....what do I do about it?Now, please do not tell me I need help. No, I don't. All i need is company....knowledge that there is someone out there sailing in the same boat but, still has maintained his/her sanity. I know there are countless poor souls suffering from a much worse form of OCD and my heart goes out to them. But, right now, I need to know who in my circle of friends/relatives/fellow bloggers is going through the same dilemma as I ..
      To clean or  not...that is the question. To put things in order, or leave them messed up... that is the question.  To arrange stuff, or leave it strewn haphazardly...that is the question. To wash my hands for the twentieth time, or just use a hand sanitizer...that is the question!!
      Anybody out there?
    

Comments

  1. hehe thankfully no OCD for the time beings but yeah, I go get relapse from time to time. Cute post:)

    Check ma UBC Challenge:

    http://vishal-newkidontheblock.blogspot.com/2014/07/an-orkut-love-story-chapter-14.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. nope no problems as such but I do call my husband a zillion times even if a) he is asleep b) busy c) network problem d) any other situation....
    I never dared to call this love, maybe its OCD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved it !!! am I glad I visited your blog and read this post? I am -because it is so nice to meet a fellow neatness 'freak'. I can so totally visualize the chairs, cushions, towels etc arranged just so. And you write so well- you are going to blaze a path, dear Shilpa:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On love and attachments.

Learning to live without the person whom we loved more than our life is one of the toughest things we humans experience during our life.
Almost every moment of our day we spend in their shadows, enveloped in their love; we don't even realise when they became an extension of our selves. We come to accept them along with their flaws, their peculiarities, which often have the potential to drain us of our patience. Yet, we love them, unconditionally, at times wondering how we survived before they entered our world. Often, we also wonder how we will ever survive after they leave our world.

The human mind is such.  Its ability to give birth to a thought and then mull over it however unpleasant it may be, is quite baffling! We realise we stand to lose our sanity if we don't get rid of that negative thought; we understand how important it is to live in the moment and enjoy it with the loved ones we fear losing someday, yet we keep worrying ourselves to death about what would happen t…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…