Skip to main content

Pintoo.

         Many years ago, when I was a little girl, a little guy came into my life and put a big smile on my face and a lot of love in my heart. It happened one evening when I was out playing with my friends. A girl from my neighbourhood appeared at the play ground armed with the cutest rabbit I had ever seen. White fur with a dash of coffee brown on his long ears and red eyes like two tiny buttons - yes, this  is the little guy I spoke about! We all gathered around the girl, fascinated, watching in awe as he hopped around  us. We all asked her what she was doing with this rabbit at the play ground and she said that her father ( who was a very strict man) had asked her to get rid of 'the creature' before he himself threw it out of the house! We were aghast on hearing this, and all the more stunned to see this girl actually planning to forsake this cute little fellow right there at the play ground!
       Everyone began to wonder what lay in store for him  when I - god knows what overcame me at that moment - said I would take the rabbit home with me and I would take care of it. How could any one in his right mind even dream of forsaking such a lovely creature out there? I picked it up gingerly, trying my best not to drop the wriggling bunny to the ground, and took it home without my parents' permission. As soon as I reached home  I announced that I had saved the rabbit  from the hungry stray dogs and decided to keep it with me. I still remember the look on my mother's face - amusement tinged with pride and love for her little girl. My grandfather, too, approved of the idea and, just like that, I had the first pet of my life!
      We began by thinking of an appropriate name for him. Grandpa thought of a name, Chanda ( my memory is a bit too sharp ), but I rejected it outright. Such a cute, furry little fellow deserved a cute ( and modern) name. So, how about Pintoo? Yes, exclaimed my younger brother and grandpa also nodded happily. Such indulging parents and grandparents make our childhood such a special time, isn't it?  And thus began my new life with my new friend. Pintoo was given the balcony to sleep and just chill out when we went to school. But, every morning, when mum woke up and entered the kitchen to start preparing the meals for the day, Pintoo would appear right behind her, standing on his hind legs asking for some treat! Mum would get cabbage leaves specially for him which he would enjoy munching on.
    The clever little fellow had quite a sharp brain up there. He knew where he could hide when we came looking for him and how to surprise us when we returned from school! And not once did he soil the house. Every small and big 'business' of his was conducted in the balcony. Such a good boy he was! Dad loved taking him out in the evenings for a good hop in the play ground, much to our horror! But, Pintoo would come right back to my dad after having his fill of hopping about! Such a darling he was and that  devil of a man had demanded his disposal! Human beings are a heartless lot! Anyway, their loss was our gain; we had learned to give love and take the responsibility of another living being!
    Pintoo was with us for around six months. He had developed a problem in his eyes and his general health was deteriorating with age. Dad would diligently take him to the Parel Animal  Hospital every Wednesday for his treatment. He said,"Let us do our best and give him the love and comfort he deserves and leave the rest to God." And that is exactly what we did. But, time  had run out for my little guy. One evening, as I and my brother unlocked the door after returning from school, Pintoo did not come rushing down the steps to greet us like he always did. We tried to wake him, nudge him, called out his name, but he did not make a move. He had left us - a heartbroken duo - to find a permanent place for himself in heaven.
     Dad wrapped him up in a brown paper bag and we buried him at sea. As we returned home, our thoughts were with Pintoo. Each and every day of the six months he had been with us flashed before our eyes putting a smile on our faces amid the unstoppable tears. How long has it been? Maybe 30 years or so. But the image of my little guy has stuck in my mind and his little paws have left an indelible mark on my heart. Really, these four-legged souls spread so much love in such less time - it is hard to delete them from our memory. Wish we humans were such, too!

Comments

  1. This is such a lovely post. I can so relate to your feelings. Our pets stay forever in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On love and attachments.

Learning to live without the person whom we loved more than our life is one of the toughest things we humans experience during our life.
Almost every moment of our day we spend in their shadows, enveloped in their love; we don't even realise when they became an extension of our selves. We come to accept them along with their flaws, their peculiarities, which often have the potential to drain us of our patience. Yet, we love them, unconditionally, at times wondering how we survived before they entered our world. Often, we also wonder how we will ever survive after they leave our world.

The human mind is such.  Its ability to give birth to a thought and then mull over it however unpleasant it may be, is quite baffling! We realise we stand to lose our sanity if we don't get rid of that negative thought; we understand how important it is to live in the moment and enjoy it with the loved ones we fear losing someday, yet we keep worrying ourselves to death about what would happen t…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

A pleasant surprise.

Life does that. Springs surprises when you are least expecting any. And  you are left baffled, overwhelmed, ecstatic, and, surprised, too! You find it unbelievable that such a thing could happen with you. And, it takes a lot of probing and analysing to finally accept that something this unimaginable could happen to you, too!

              The above emotions are  what I went through when I received a message from the Manager of Baggout that my blog had been selected as one of the 15 best love and relationships blogs in India. I must have read the message 5 times and still found it unbelievable. In fact, I thought someone was playing a prank. I made enquiries, tried finding out all about Baggout and went back to where I was - in a state of utter disbelief! Call it low self esteem if you wish, but I wondered how  anyone could find my one and a half year old blog worthy of any such mention.

        The feeling was  good, nay, great. But, unless I saw it all in black and w…