Skip to main content

My guide.

              It will soon be a year since I started writing.  That makes me just a year-old writer. An amateur. A secret I would like to share here, unabashedly. As I began to make my writing public, and as my friends began to praise me for my newly developed talent, I began to think of myself as some big shot writer! God, how I cringe at those memories! But, it has been my good fortune that I met a writer/blogger who brought me down to the ground and  changed  how I viewed my writing! And, it is solely because of this person that my writing underwent some drastic changes, or should I say improvements, for which I am ever so grateful to him! I happened to read a blog of another prolific writer wherein she mentioned her 'mentor' who, I guessed, had a lion's share in refining her writing skills and I thought to myself that I, too, have a 'mentor,' a guide, who has been instrumental in fine-tuning my writing skills to a large extent. Of course, there is still a huge scope for improvement, no doubt, but I am sure I will be there, although not in his league, but somewhere nearby, for sure! Wishful thinking, eh?!
            And, thus, this post! Well, I had to thank him! 
             
             A tiny instance of my ignorance -- I was in love with the 'ellipses', the three dots (...) that I would love using anywhere and everywhere, without knowing its actual use! My 'guide' pointed it out to me and how I was embarrassed! What a fool I had been! Out came my grammar book, which became my bible since then and opened my eyes to the blunders I had been committing! 
          
             We all need a critic who not only points out our flaws, but also helps in keeping our feet planted firmly to the ground, lest we make a complete fool of ourselves. And, I am so glad to have found just the person who pointed out my flaws, praised my writing if and only where needed and inspired me to  better myself and use the talent that I have been blessed with to the best of my ability.

             So, a big 'thank you' to you, my  dear friend, philosopher, guide! The journey has just begun, so this is not a farewell speech or anything of the sort. It is just something that  has been brewing inside my mind since quite some time. Thank you for your critiques and suggestions and also for your technical aid! What would I do without you?! 

Comments

  1. Really appreciate this post. Simply because I rarely comment on a post if I find too many flaws / errors in it. I'm glad you're among the ones who appreciate constructive criticism. Isn't easy, in the blogging universe. Many congrats on the almost year anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be nice to have someone around to point out the mistakes we make. I wish someone had done that for me .. :) Congrats on your 1st year anniversary Shilpa.. May you celebrate many many more writing anniversaries.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first paragraph could have been divided into two paragraphs -- the first one about your beginnings and imminent bloggversary and the second one about you finding your 'guide'.

    Should have commas before 'who' and 'which' if they introduce phrases not necessary to identify the object.

    Ellipses is the plural of ellipsis. The pronoun should be in its plural form too.

    *its actual use

    *book, which became

    fool *i had

    Consider adding the dashes (em dash and en dash) to your arsenal.

    I see that you have used a hyphen in "A tiny instance of my ignorance - I was in love with the 'ellipses', [...]" to separate a dependent clause from an independent. This would not be the job for either of the dashes and especially not the hyphen, but I think you intended to use '—'.

    I think it's ironic that you made so many mistakes in this post. :)

    I hope you keep getting better with time and soon become an author as you always wanted to be. May the force be with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Pawan,
      Thank you for pointing out the errors. I will make the corrections right now.

      When I wrote 'it's', I knew I had made a mistake, but wonder why I didn't correct it then and there!
      You are right about the '---'.

      I, too, think it is ironic I made so many mistakes in THIS post! :))
      WIll be a lot more careful next time.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On love and attachments.

Learning to live without the person whom we loved more than our life is one of the toughest things we humans experience during our life.
Almost every moment of our day we spend in their shadows, enveloped in their love; we don't even realise when they became an extension of our selves. We come to accept them along with their flaws, their peculiarities, which often have the potential to drain us of our patience. Yet, we love them, unconditionally, at times wondering how we survived before they entered our world. Often, we also wonder how we will ever survive after they leave our world.

The human mind is such.  Its ability to give birth to a thought and then mull over it however unpleasant it may be, is quite baffling! We realise we stand to lose our sanity if we don't get rid of that negative thought; we understand how important it is to live in the moment and enjoy it with the loved ones we fear losing someday, yet we keep worrying ourselves to death about what would happen t…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

MOM - Film Review.

Starring: Sridevi, Akshaye Khanna, Nawazuddin Siddiqui.

Director: Ravi Udyawar

Music: A.R. Rahman.

Rating: 4/5


Because God couldn't be everywhere, He created Mother. A line from the movie, it could very well sum up the movie for you. Sridevi couldn't have chosen a better subject for her 300th film. I haven't been a diehard Sridevi fan, but her last film, English Vinglish, changed my opinion of her and that's the reason I simply wanted to see MOM, right on the day it released.

MOM is emotional; MOM is electrifying; MOM is hard-hitting; MOM is riveting, right till the end.  In short, MOM is Sridevi. This could very well be the review in a nutshell, but there's more I would love to talk about.

Devki Sabarwal (Sridevi) is a school teacher, the kind one can never mess with, whoever you may be. However, at home, she struggles to bond with her 18 year old step-daughter, Arya (Sajal Ali). The quiet acceptance and the sensitivity with which she accepts the cold vibes she r…