Skip to main content

Some more memories of my college days.

                Since beginning the NaBloPoMo challenge, my day starts with wondering what topic to write on.  Writing everyday, on a different topic, seems to be a bigger  challenge,  than the writing itself.  Thankfully, though, the topic comes to me, from somewhere or somebody (helpful friends), and I feel relaxed. Today,  as I was mentally ticking off the topics from my list, some words from my past wafted from some unknown space and got lodged into my mind. And, voila! I knew what I had to write! 

             Throughout our youth -- during school and college days --  we meet countless teachers: some who leave an imprint on our minds, and some,  whom we would rather forget, like a bad dream. Fortunately, I have had more of the former and less of the latter.  And, today I would like to share a few memories of my college days, when I met some truly wonderful,  caring professors, and some (actually, just one), not as good, but memorable, nonetheless.

           During my graduation days, I had the honour of being taught by a very gentle, soft spoken, and also a very helpful professor, Mrs Shanti.  She taught us the subject, Social Thinkers. A rather dry subject, which, on hindsight, should have been called the 'sedative'. It also felt pretty heavy on our young shoulders and minds! Merely passing in that subject was considered luck. But, only because of my professor, who did her best to infuse some excitement into the topics, and who, empathising with us youngsters,  did her best to guide us well, did we manage to do well for ourselves. She always had that sweet smile and encouraging words every time  I asked her stuff related to the subject or about things I could do after graduation. Never once did she lose her patience or ridicule me for trying to think 'out of the box'. 

            That same year, for our English paper, we had the most weird professor ever! Can't remember his name right now, but can never forget that pervert and his disgusting words, that filled us all with contempt for the man! A bachelor, teaching at a Women's  University, he must have felt he had  countless options to choose from. He began his first lecture with asking us what plans each of us had for our future. I said I would like to 'stand on my feet' and help my parents, to which he replied that if I looked carefully, I was standing on my feet! When I explained that I would like to work and then think about anything else, prompt came his response,"You see, this is the kind of girl I am looking for, to get married!"  He gave me the creeps! There was a major signature campaign to get him out of college, ASAP! Which, thankfully, succeeded. Boy, do they come in all sorts of packages!

          However, there are some who come in some really incredible packages! Our professor for Fashion Merchandising was the sexiest man this then-young girl must have ever seen. I am sure, not only I, but every girl in class, must have had a secret crush on him! He must have been in his late 40s then. A thorough gentleman and a chubby, cuddly teddy bear, with grey eyes and a salt and pepper mop  of hair...get the picture?!  He simply had to enter the class and our sleep would vanish into thin air. Every female eye gawked at  him, unblinking! I am sure he must have felt it in the air, for, we felt he blushed every time he looked at us to explain some thing. Our jaws would always be dropped to the ground and we would nod our heads for every thing he said!  

           Every time I remember those days, I feel embarrassed. How silly we must have looked back then! What our professors must have thought about us giggly teenagers! But, I guess, they must have known. It was all part of growing up, seeing the world, meeting people -- good and bad -- and learning from those experiences, And, some of those experiences were lessons for life, taught by some really fantastic people, who left their imprints on our young minds, which refuse to get erased by the sands of time. 

          

            
NaBloPoMo November 2014

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On love and attachments.

Learning to live without the person whom we loved more than our life is one of the toughest things we humans experience during our life.
Almost every moment of our day we spend in their shadows, enveloped in their love; we don't even realise when they became an extension of our selves. We come to accept them along with their flaws, their peculiarities, which often have the potential to drain us of our patience. Yet, we love them, unconditionally, at times wondering how we survived before they entered our world. Often, we also wonder how we will ever survive after they leave our world.

The human mind is such.  Its ability to give birth to a thought and then mull over it however unpleasant it may be, is quite baffling! We realise we stand to lose our sanity if we don't get rid of that negative thought; we understand how important it is to live in the moment and enjoy it with the loved ones we fear losing someday, yet we keep worrying ourselves to death about what would happen t…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…