Skip to main content

A lovey-dovey meeting.

                 A chance meeting with an old friend can simply brighten up your day, isn't it?  Especially, if you haven't met that friend in years, and who, out of the blue,  pops in front of you, recognises you and the love that overflows, is just like the good old days, when you were in constant touch!  That is exactly what happened with me, today, when I was out for my morning walk with Chikoo.
                As we were returning home, I was lost in my thoughts, when I happened to look up, and there, on the other side of the road, I saw a mongrel, who seemed very familiar, and who also was looking at us. And, just like that, it struck me that it was Chhoti, the stray dog who lived in our area once upon a time. I hesitantly called out to her, "Chhoti?" and it felt like something had exploded! She dashed  across the road and ran to Chikoo, who had recognised her, too!  The whining and yelping that followed, simply melted my heart.  She was so excited, she didn't quite seem to make up her mind whether to greet Chikoo or me!  

           They just couldn't seem to get enough of each other, when she reached for me, cuddling  up to me, all ready to get picked up by me. The love that poured from her eye -- she had lost the other one, which made for a pitiful sight -- made me want to hug her tight and never let her out of sight again! We must have been in that heap of love for not more than a few minutes, but it seemed like an eternity. The realisation, that she still remembered us, was heart- warming. 

          Chhoti used to live in our area long ago. I named her Chhoti because of her short stature. She refused to grow tall like her siblings! But, you know what they say about good things coming in tiny packages?  Chhoti was an absolute sweetheart, who was the most well-behaved dog in our area. And, the most affectionate one, who was immensely friendly towards all those who  reciprocated to her shower of love. But, one fine day, this little packet of love simply vanished. I tried looking for her, but in vain. I was broken hearted. And, so was Chikoo -- her centre of attention. 

         After a year or two, I ran into her when I had gone to another area, a little distance from my residence.  She was with her brood of five adorable pups. And she instantly recognised me.  But, as I didn't frequent that place often, I lost touch with her all over again. And then,  today, out of the blue, there she was!  She had put on some weight. Had just delivered pups, as was quite obvious, and had lost an eye. The poor soul. But, all that didn't seem to matter to  her. That's how it is with these four-legged angels. They are least bothered about their handicap, or their pain, unlike us humans. 

       So, the warm meeting I had with my dear, old furry friend brightened up my day. I just couldn't get her out of my thoughts! I wish I had spent some more time with her, petting her,  cuddling her, talking to her. She has the most adorable face, ever! She does not utter a word, but I know the amount of love she feels for me and Chikoo.  

       I wish we  meet her again, during one of our walks. I will be elated and Chikoo will be thrilled to bits!  I think we will meet her, for sure. Just one thing I rue -- I didn't remember to click her picture and capture the excitement on that pretty face on meeting her two long lost friends! 

       
 13 Dec.

Today, I met my Chhoti again and this time I was all prepared with my phone to click a picture of the meeting of two dear friends! Here, it is..Chhoti and Chikoo...



Comments

  1. awww my heart just melted reading your post. So beautiful!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That must have felt really awesome. I can just imagine all the love around. Yeah, dogs are very intelligent. More so than humans, I feel. I have very little experience with the 4-legged creatures, but I have found it much easier to communicate with them than with humans. They just understand you, even if they don't understand the words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Chicky. They do understand our feelings way more than humans do.

      Delete
  3. Shilpa this is a very sweet post. Choti is very cute.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…

The motherhood challenge.

A  few days ago, a dear friend of mine wrote a touching post disapproving the 'motherhood challenge' that has been going viral on Facebook. Motherhood challenge is all about women posting pictures with their children and tagging other women, who according to them, are 'awesome mothers'. But, my friend felt that by adding the words challenge and dare,  they were drawing a divide between themselves and others who weren't blessed enough.  I was touched by her views that defended women who might feel marginalised by such a challenge, although that might not be the motive behind it at all.
          Wonder how many women would feel the way my friend did! How many of the 'blessed ones' try and understand that behind such decisions might lie a reason, a helplessness that gives a woman endless pain? We haven't chosen to stay childless because of a lack of fondness for children. There were reasons and circumstances that stood in the way of us holdin…