Skip to main content

When I am really old, I hope to look back at life and know that......

                      Life, as we know,  is about looking forward-- leaving the past behind and looking ahead at  a  bright and  a  promising future.  But, there are times when the past beckons.  I have begun experiencing those moments, when I look back at the days gone by.  But, those moments are few and far between. I feel  there is still time to completely get into the reflective mode -- reminiscing about the years gone by and looking at the horizon, awaiting the finale  of a life well lived.  And, when I do reach that stage -- when I reach my old age -- and, when I look back at my life, I would like to know that...

                   ....I lived a full life, a contented life. That, I played the part given to me at every stage, to the best of my ability.  Be it of a daughter, a sister, a wife or a mother, I put in my best in every role I played. I know, I have driven people up the wall  at some point or the other, but, I would like to hope I have been forgiven.  I will be thankful to the people who were sent in my life. It is because of them, that I turned out the way I did. People who taught me the meaning of patience, understanding, empathy and selfless, unconditional love.  How these helped chisel the rough edges and  made me a much better person than I would have been otherwise!

                 ....I was lucky in meeting some wonderful people along the way, who, by their sheer goodness,  confirmed my faith in humanity. I was  fortunate in meeting the right kind of people, who were helpful in times of need. The tough chapters of my life will definitely end with gratitude for those guardian angels who looked after me, and helped me tide over  the turbulent times -- my hand secure in their's -- as I waded through the  rough seas.

                ....I was blessed enough to have made some really amazing friends, who, over a period of time, became my soul mates, and stood by me, through thick and thin.  Who  added cheer to the dull moments, picked me up when I stumbled and fell, drilled some sense in me when I went off-tangent .

               ....And,  most importantly, I will  know, how fruitless it is to hold on to grudges, and how fruitful it is to let go. And, how relieved it felt on letting go of some hurtful words and deeds committed in moments of intense passion. Letting go of what was never in my destiny, and doing good with what had been arranged for me.  Making mistakes along the way, learning from those mistakes and paving the way with stones of wisdom,  to avoid stumbling and falling  again!

              Aah! That felt good --fast-forwarding to the future and looking back at the past!  But, as I came back to the present, I realised I have a long way to go!  Many a things to learn, a countless improvements to make, so that when the time comes, I get a chance to smile at the life gone by and give a little pat on my back at having lived  a life just as it had been chalked out for me!
                   


This is a Finish The Sentence Friday post.

Today's prompt is When I am really old, I hope to look back at life and know that...

Comments

  1. To say that you have played all your roles to the best itself is a blessing.Hope you had actually feel like this in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems like a full list of things to be thankful for, Shilpa. What a pleasure it will be to look back at this post 20 years from now :) beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a really good idea, Shailaja! I think I am going to do just that and see how far I reached.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful post and you're so right that those who we meet and become close to shape us and provide loveliness and meaning to the moments and the years. Thank you so much for joining Finish the Sentence Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristi, for visiting and also for the wonderful prompt.

      Delete
  4. Lovely post...thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The motherhood challenge.

            A  few days ago, a dear friend of mine wrote a touching post disapproving the 'motherhood challenge' that has been going viral on Facebook. Motherhood challenge is all about women posting pictures with their children and tagging other women, who according to them, are 'awesome mothers'. But, my friend felt that by adding the words challenge and dare,  they were drawing a divide between themselves and others who weren't blessed enough.  I was touched by her views that defended women who might feel marginalised by such a challenge, although that might not be the motive behind it at all.
          Wonder how many women would feel the way my friend did! How many of the 'blessed ones' try and understand that behind such decisions might lie a reason, a helplessness that gives a woman endless pain? We haven't chosen to stay childless because of a lack of fondness for children. There were reasons and circumstances that stood in the way of us holdin…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…