Skip to main content

Down memory lane.

          Last night, as I lay in bed, beckoning my beauty sleep to rest awhile under my eyelids, a long forgotten nursery rhyme came to my mind. I know not how, but I felt I heard the words loud and clear, in the silence of the night! And, instantly, I was transported to my childhood, where I sat with my nursery rhyme book open in my lap, gawking at my dad, who was reciting the rhymes with much gusto. The rhyme, which even as I write this post, plays in my mind, goes like this...

                                    Multiplication is vexation,
                                    Division is as bad;
                                    The Rule of Three perplexes me,
                                    And fractions drive me mad.

         It has been more than 40 years, since I heard these lines being recited by dad, but I still remember the tune to which dad had set the rhyme. And, I vividly remember, he would emphasise on the last word, MAD, stretching it so, it left me awestruck! I think, he predicted back then that one day, his daughter is going to be struggling with arithmetic and its siblings, pulling her hair out in frustration, and driving him and mum crazy! 
       I still have that wonderful book with me. Long time back, when I had been to mum's, I  fished it out of the attic and brought it back. Dad suggested passing it on to my nephew, but I would have none of it. It was MY book, it would stay with ME! Today, when I see the rhyme books available in the bookshops, I feel  proud for having owned a book that was so royally printed and lovingly bought for me by my dear dad.
        The illustrations are all British, with kings and queens and young lads and little girls, all dressed in attire of the Victorian era. Some of the rhymes will seem familiar to kids of today, but, there are others that, I feel, belonged to that period. I couldn't sleep for a long time last night. I was lost in my childhood, with dad reciting the rhymes, and I, staring open mouthed at the marvellous book, lost in   those colourful pictures! I plan on going through the book today, and call up dad and thank him for his gift of a lifetime!
        Here's the picture of the illustration made for the poem. The boy, sitting at his desk, lost in thought, is how I was, back then, when faced with the most hated subject of my school life!
        


       This other picture will give you an idea of the era it was printed in...

         Life today, is so fast, and  so glamorous. It makes me yearn for  the simple days of my childhood. I pity the children of today, who have everything they could ever ask for, except the simplicity and the innocence, that we were abundantly blessed with. Thank god, I have these golden memories to cherish, and sustain me throughout the rest of my life! 
        Will call up dad now, and take him for a walk down memory lane! 
      


Comments

  1. Well written, Shilpa. There are some things that transport us back to a different time and place. Those simple, uncomplicated days of our childhood are such precious memories today :)
    -Shantala

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Shantala! You are so true...I cherish those memories..:-) We were lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely narration, Shilpa. The carefree, childhood days of our life were so simple and the chiding or beating by parents for not learning our lessons well cum the perk of candy after doing the home work is sweet and lovely. It brought back flash of childhood memories:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) I am so glad it did, Vishal! Yes, life back then was so carefree and so simple..miss those days!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On love and attachments.

Learning to live without the person whom we loved more than our life is one of the toughest things we humans experience during our life.
Almost every moment of our day we spend in their shadows, enveloped in their love; we don't even realise when they became an extension of our selves. We come to accept them along with their flaws, their peculiarities, which often have the potential to drain us of our patience. Yet, we love them, unconditionally, at times wondering how we survived before they entered our world. Often, we also wonder how we will ever survive after they leave our world.

The human mind is such.  Its ability to give birth to a thought and then mull over it however unpleasant it may be, is quite baffling! We realise we stand to lose our sanity if we don't get rid of that negative thought; we understand how important it is to live in the moment and enjoy it with the loved ones we fear losing someday, yet we keep worrying ourselves to death about what would happen t…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

MOM - Film Review.

Starring: Sridevi, Akshaye Khanna, Nawazuddin Siddiqui.

Director: Ravi Udyawar

Music: A.R. Rahman.

Rating: 4/5


Because God couldn't be everywhere, He created Mother. A line from the movie, it could very well sum up the movie for you. Sridevi couldn't have chosen a better subject for her 300th film. I haven't been a diehard Sridevi fan, but her last film, English Vinglish, changed my opinion of her and that's the reason I simply wanted to see MOM, right on the day it released.

MOM is emotional; MOM is electrifying; MOM is hard-hitting; MOM is riveting, right till the end.  In short, MOM is Sridevi. This could very well be the review in a nutshell, but there's more I would love to talk about.

Devki Sabarwal (Sridevi) is a school teacher, the kind one can never mess with, whoever you may be. However, at home, she struggles to bond with her 18 year old step-daughter, Arya (Sajal Ali). The quiet acceptance and the sensitivity with which she accepts the cold vibes she r…