Skip to main content

A unique Valentine's Day.


           This year, Valentine's Day has been pretty unique for me. Some days ago, I happened to chat with a fellow blogger, Cat Graham. She, too, like me, is a member of B-A-R, a blog created by the very talented Shailaja Vishwanath; it's because of her that I could meet so many lovely people and make friends with them! So, as I was saying, Cat and I, we just happened to 'click', instantly! Mostly, because of our love for sketching. So, on her suggestion, we are hosting each other on our blogs, to celebrate this lovely day and mark the beginning of a new friendship. She has been gracious enough to share a couple of her fabulous sketches. And, I must say, she is simply fantastic! 
       I am also sharing the link to her blog, so that you all can visit her and get to know her. 


                 www.cattitudeandgratitude.blogspot.com


         Here's to a great start. Looking forward to sharing many more posts and sketches by this fine artist! 

In honour of Valentine’s Day, Shilpa and I decided we’d celebrate our new friendship by doing guest posts on each other’s blogs.

I love being creative doing writing, photography, scrapbooking, music and art. This January and February, I’ve been taking photos of birds on the feeders outside my living room window. I enjoy seeing them flitting about on the feeders as winter can be a bleak time without much sign of life. I don’t even mind the bratty squirrels who can be quite a nuisance, knocking the feeders askew and scattering seeds everywhere. At least the squirrels are entertaining. I’m still laughing at the sight of a black squirrel the other day leaping into the air and walloping a starling as if to say “Get lost, Buster! This is my territory!”

Shilpa and I both enjoy sketching and we both love our big dogs. She has a big dog Cheeko and I have a big dog, Loup.

Loup is an Alaskan Malamute, a true snow dog who actually enjoys our freezing Canadian winters while all the rest of us are longing for spring. 

I decided to draw a cartoony type picture of my dog, Loup. In celebration of Valentine’s Day, I took the picture, scanned it and put it into a Valentine’s template at the online photo editing site ofhttp://www.funny.pho.to.com. I think it turned out very cute.  

Thanks to Shilpa for letting me do a guest post on her blog. Here’s to our new online friendship that connects us despite the immense geographical distance between Canada and India.

Happy Valentine’s Day to you all! 



Comments

  1. What a lovely, adorable way to celebrate valentine's day! I loved this idea. Now, why didn't I think of it too? :D

    I love Cat, as she already knows and I love you, Shilpa, as you know too :) Great idea, gals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a great time doing our guest posts and sharing our love of drawing. I went and revised my post to mention you and Blog A Rhythm, Shailaja and thank you for all you do to make the group so fun and supportive.

      Delete
  2. This is indeed a unique valentine idea :) Lovely post. A wonderful way to celebrate a friendship, on an even better day! Happy Valentine's Day Shilpa. Hope you had a great day :)
    -Shantala

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shantala! It indeed was a great day, as I bonded with all of my closest friends, who mean the world to me! And, this post made the day all the more special!:) Hope you had a good day, too!

      Delete
    2. We were snowed in, so could not go out to celebrate. However the Indian victory in the match yesterday made up for it :D
      -Shantala

      Delete
    3. Shantala, the victory must have made up for all the snowing, right? :-)

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful idea to celebrate the day: perfect! Wish I had thought of it! ;) Great sketch of your dog Cat! (The juxtaposition of 'dog' and 'cat' is amusing to me...hope it is to you too!) ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elly! And, Cat has made the sketch so well!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Elly. Shilpa and I had fun doing the guest post exchange like you and Vinodini. Our friendships need to be celebrated!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On love and attachments.

Learning to live without the person whom we loved more than our life is one of the toughest things we humans experience during our life.
Almost every moment of our day we spend in their shadows, enveloped in their love; we don't even realise when they became an extension of our selves. We come to accept them along with their flaws, their peculiarities, which often have the potential to drain us of our patience. Yet, we love them, unconditionally, at times wondering how we survived before they entered our world. Often, we also wonder how we will ever survive after they leave our world.

The human mind is such.  Its ability to give birth to a thought and then mull over it however unpleasant it may be, is quite baffling! We realise we stand to lose our sanity if we don't get rid of that negative thought; we understand how important it is to live in the moment and enjoy it with the loved ones we fear losing someday, yet we keep worrying ourselves to death about what would happen t…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…