Skip to main content

Valentine's Day!

              The ' Day of love'  is fast approaching; I can feel it in the air. Everywhere I go, I see  red and pink hearts, fluttering about gayly, love captions strewn across every billboard, and lovers going all out to make it a special day for their special someones. 14th of February does have a lot of hoopla surrounding it, isn't  it? However, not all find it amusing. Hubby, for instance, finds it ridiculous, that you express your love on just one day of the year, and spend the rest of the year exchanging blows! Aargh! Every year, I wish him early in the morning, "Happy Valentine's day!" and what do I get in return? A mocking look in the eyes and a derisive shake of the head. 
             I ignore it. I ignore it every year, as it is the day of love. I don't want to get into a fight on this day! But, the man isn't that bad! I clearly remember,  one V Day, aeons ago, when I had complained for the umpteenth time how unromantic he was, he got me a unique gift to lift my mood - a packet of my favourite banana chips! Aww, that was so sweet of him! Ah! Those were the good old days...
           However, I have been blessed with some amazing people in my life, who do know how to shower me with love. My parents and my close friends, who mean the world to me, are the ones whose  response bowls me over. After wishing the hubby, I wish all of these darlings, express my love and gratitude for everything they do for me, for being my support system, and for tolerating me patiently. And, the love I get in return takes my breath away!
         I do agree with hubby about why there should be just one day to express our love; why mustn't we do it all round the  year?  But, hubby, if I keep expressing my love to you, or to 'my' people every second day, won't you guys get worried and start thinking that a counsellor is the need of the hour? Or, worst, you might start pulling your hair (or mine!) in frustration! 
         Therefore, the Valentine's Day, to celebrate love and raise a toast to one of the gentlest emotions we have been blessed with! So, here's looking forward to a day full of love and laughter, and loads of happiness all around. Leave behind the grudges and the sourness. Pick up one of those 'hearty' balloons and make someone's day special! 
        Ahem, and about that special romantic gift that I yearn for --psst! I plan on finding a boy friend for myself, what say? 
        
      
        

Comments

  1. Shilpa, i think all husbands are strictly not interested in V-day including mine. But, we poor souls are left hoping for magic someday. Its almost like reading my story here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lata, that is quite a solace to know that I am not alone here! :-)

      Delete
  2. Valentine seems to come early for you. True that, make everyday a V Day:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so true. I feel that I got extremely lucky in marriage, as my hubby is more than what I could have hoped for in many ways. However, when it comes to days like V-day, he is just amazed at how excited I am, and his standard comment is "I just don't understand the necessity of expressing love on just one day" Sigh. But, I am one big advocate of V-day! Why leave any chance of celebrating the purest of human emotions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shantala, we all seem to be sailing in the same boat! Lets see, if this year hubby springs a surprise, or whether it is as always..dry! :)

      Delete
  4. I agree with most men! In my opinion, Valentine's Day is fake holiday, invented by the retail industry. LOL In all our 44 years together, my husband and I have never acknowledged it, because we prefer to show our love year round, when it suits us, not when the calendar says so - and for only one day a year??? Thumbs down to that! ☺ It's completely commercial and everything is overpriced on that day, Double thumbs down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, my hubby would agree with you, word for word! And, in a way, I agree, too. But, I also like to call up my closest friends, wish them, chat and laugh with them. That's my way of celebrating V Day.Nothing commercial! :-) No getting gifts! Heheh

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The motherhood challenge.

            A  few days ago, a dear friend of mine wrote a touching post disapproving the 'motherhood challenge' that has been going viral on Facebook. Motherhood challenge is all about women posting pictures with their children and tagging other women, who according to them, are 'awesome mothers'. But, my friend felt that by adding the words challenge and dare,  they were drawing a divide between themselves and others who weren't blessed enough.  I was touched by her views that defended women who might feel marginalised by such a challenge, although that might not be the motive behind it at all.
          Wonder how many women would feel the way my friend did! How many of the 'blessed ones' try and understand that behind such decisions might lie a reason, a helplessness that gives a woman endless pain? We haven't chosen to stay childless because of a lack of fondness for children. There were reasons and circumstances that stood in the way of us holdin…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…