Skip to main content

'We' - ceased.

                     " I miss you; I  miss us," I whispered, as I sat on the bed, watching him pack his overnight bag.  The three-day long weekend had tempted him and his buddies to take a short trip, "to recharge the batteries," 
                    "But, what about us? We haven't been anywhere in ages! You are busy all the time, either with your job, or with your friends. Do I even have a place on your priority list?" I asked, and instantly bit my tongue.
                    "Don't you start that again, now. Don't spoil my mood, okay? Do you even know how I manage everything? Do you have any idea, how much of stress I have to undergo to maintain my position? I am tired, okay? And, I need a break," the last sentence spoken in the cold tone, that said I dare not argue anymore.
                   I kept mum. When was the last time we had taken a break, just the two of us? When was the last we had spent some time with each other? There was hardly any conversation between us anymore. Where were we heading? I had tried my best to adjust to him, to life with him, but, now I could feel myself failing, miserably. Did we even have a future together? There was really no point talking about it right now, or any other time, for that matter. How he hated discussing these things! Life, for him, was a business contract, where there was no place for emotions. Just his luck,  that  he had a wife, who invested emotions in everything she did, every relation she had!
               Every time I tried asking him for some time - for some of his precious time - I was met with the usual: I am busy. I have meetings. My friends grumble they don't get to meet me as often. I am tired. I am stressed out. I have problems at work. I am not in the mood. I am bored.  Every thing revolved around the 'I'. Did 'we' even exist?
         
             He zipped his bag shut, took one exasperated look at me, and walked out of the bedroom. I stayed on the bed, exhausted, drained of any emotions. Drained by the sacrifices, the adjustments, the loneliness.  Never had I imagined our life turning out like this; my life-partner, letting go of the hand he had promised to hold, for the rest of his life. But then, never had I ever realised, that everyone is self-centred; it's just the radius that differs.
            I lay down on my bed, lost in thoughts. The tick-tock of the clock, the whirring of the air conditioner, the outdoor noise, all keeping me company, as I slowly drifted off to sleep.



The above post has been written for Wordy Wednesday.

This week's prompt: Sentence prompt: Everybody is self-centred; it's just the radius that differs.
This week's prompt comes from blogger-writer and B-A-R member: Shilpa Garg.




Comments

  1. Aah! A very realistic story of our times. Loved your take on this prompt, Shilpa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shilpa! At first, I wondered how I would write on such a tough looking prompt! :) But, thankfully, I managed!

      Delete
  2. This was an excellent take on the most common problem of the world. Good work, Shilpa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Soumya. It is the most common problem, with no solution in sight! :(

      Delete
  3. A true-to-life story on such a take: well done Shilpa! :) You could have ended it at the sentence prompt just as well! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elly! Yes, initially, I did end it at the sentence prompt, but, then got tempted to add the last sentence, to show the loneliness in her life. :)

      Delete
  4. Some people never grow up and take responsibility, lovely post. I adore the paw prints wallpaper :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so sad. I wonder what state she might be in. Loneliness is indeed worst of all feelings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Nibhz. It sure is painful!
      Thank you, for visiting!

      Delete
  6. A very realistic story Shilpa :) Wonder how she coped with the situation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Swathi!
      She just learned to cope with it, the way everyone does..learn to live with situations!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On love and attachments.

Learning to live without the person whom we loved more than our life is one of the toughest things we humans experience during our life.
Almost every moment of our day we spend in their shadows, enveloped in their love; we don't even realise when they became an extension of our selves. We come to accept them along with their flaws, their peculiarities, which often have the potential to drain us of our patience. Yet, we love them, unconditionally, at times wondering how we survived before they entered our world. Often, we also wonder how we will ever survive after they leave our world.

The human mind is such.  Its ability to give birth to a thought and then mull over it however unpleasant it may be, is quite baffling! We realise we stand to lose our sanity if we don't get rid of that negative thought; we understand how important it is to live in the moment and enjoy it with the loved ones we fear losing someday, yet we keep worrying ourselves to death about what would happen t…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

MOM - Film Review.

Starring: Sridevi, Akshaye Khanna, Nawazuddin Siddiqui.

Director: Ravi Udyawar

Music: A.R. Rahman.

Rating: 4/5


Because God couldn't be everywhere, He created Mother. A line from the movie, it could very well sum up the movie for you. Sridevi couldn't have chosen a better subject for her 300th film. I haven't been a diehard Sridevi fan, but her last film, English Vinglish, changed my opinion of her and that's the reason I simply wanted to see MOM, right on the day it released.

MOM is emotional; MOM is electrifying; MOM is hard-hitting; MOM is riveting, right till the end.  In short, MOM is Sridevi. This could very well be the review in a nutshell, but there's more I would love to talk about.

Devki Sabarwal (Sridevi) is a school teacher, the kind one can never mess with, whoever you may be. However, at home, she struggles to bond with her 18 year old step-daughter, Arya (Sajal Ali). The quiet acceptance and the sensitivity with which she accepts the cold vibes she r…