Skip to main content

Granny.

       



            Memories. How enlivening they can be, when they call out to us from our distant past, and add a touch of freshness to our lacklustre lives! Memories,  of  people from our past, who no longer share the physical world with us; memories of the warmth and  the love they showered on us. Is there anything else that can bring an instant smile to our faces,overwhelm us with a deluge of emotions, and quench our thirsty souls, leaving us refreshed and  invigorated?   Many a times, when I am lost in my thoughts,  I revisit  my past, and,  am at once enveloped in a snugness, like the comfort of a  soft old blanket, stashed away in the attic, to be retrieved every once in a while, and used as a cocoon in the cold days of winter.
             SInce quite some time, these memories have been of my grandparents. Their love, their indulgence, it fills my heart with emotions that I haven't experienced in quite a long time.  I have forgotten what it feels like to be pampered silly by a pair of soft, wrinkled hands, and cuddled in their  cushiony warmth, listening to stories of kings, queens and scary demons, being fed my favourite food prepared with such love, the taste  lingers for days to come.
           I remember my dear old granny - my mum's aunt. A cheerful old soul, she had a ready smile that reached her eyes and touched our hearts.  For me, she was the epitome of affection. Not once did I see her feeling gloomy, or even angry with us kids. So patient, so understanding,  such an empathetic human being - she really was special! Every time I think of her, her smiling face comes to  my mind, and fills my heart with happiness. It has been long since she left this world, but, her memories are very much alive in my heart.
          I still remember my childhood, when holidays spent at her place were filled with joy. I didn't have many cousins to play with over there, but I had her! We would stand in the balcony of her fourth floor apartment, chatting endlessly, watching the world pass us by. Some of the memories of those days are so vivid, I even remember what we said to each other, the clothes we wore, the food she cooked for me...the list goes on.
         The quaint  old apartment building she lived in, now stands dwarfed by a cluster of modern high rises.  Yet, there is a charm that this old timer exudes, that hasn't faded with time.  The warmth that emanates from this old structure (nearly fifty years old!)  matches the warmth that I experience when I think of her, of her love, which, too, hasn't faded with time!  I know she is somewhere around - an angel,  looking after all of us, which is what she did when she was with us. I know, I will meet her again, some day. Until then, I will visit her in my memories, and come back refreshed.
        Miss you, aaji!



           

Comments

  1. Such a sweet post.. she seemed like a very nice person

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roshan!
      Yes, she was one of the nicest people I have ever met. :)

      Delete
  2. I can feel the longing in your voice, Shilpa, when you speak of her. How it must hurt and also give you pleasure, the memory of your grandmother. There are these souls who are sent to make a difference in our lives and we treasure them, don't we? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Shailaja. And, they touch our lives in such a way, it's a blessing having them in our lives.

      Delete
  3. What a sweet and beautiful tribute to your granny. I can see how you must miss her. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laurel!
      I do miss her, but thinking about her always brings me happiness and peace.

      Delete
  4. Lovely heart warming post. back some of my own memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely post. Your memories brought back memories of my maternal grandfather. He has passed away, and I miss those childhood days spent at his home playing rummy with him or just chatting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a touching post, Shilpa. A lovely tribute to your granny. She sounds like an amazing lady. You were so lucky to have known her and I am sure she must have adored having you too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shantala!
      She was amazing, and I adored her...a lot! :)

      Delete
  7. Cherished memories beautifully expressed. It sounds like she was a real gem. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy!
      Yes, she was a gem..:)

      Delete
  8. Aww! So sweet, Shilpa. Keep cherishing those memories!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…

The motherhood challenge.

A  few days ago, a dear friend of mine wrote a touching post disapproving the 'motherhood challenge' that has been going viral on Facebook. Motherhood challenge is all about women posting pictures with their children and tagging other women, who according to them, are 'awesome mothers'. But, my friend felt that by adding the words challenge and dare,  they were drawing a divide between themselves and others who weren't blessed enough.  I was touched by her views that defended women who might feel marginalised by such a challenge, although that might not be the motive behind it at all.
          Wonder how many women would feel the way my friend did! How many of the 'blessed ones' try and understand that behind such decisions might lie a reason, a helplessness that gives a woman endless pain? We haven't chosen to stay childless because of a lack of fondness for children. There were reasons and circumstances that stood in the way of us holdin…