Skip to main content

My Encyclopaedia, my Google - my Mum!

                   Life, today, has become pretty easy for us humans, thanks to computers! I mean, life is tough, but when it comes to finding information on how to fight the various battles in our life, all it takes is a single click, and, Voila! we have an answer, with countless options, ready to help us out of our mess! Or so, we think. But, way back, when this Big C wasn't invented, we had another, much more reliable source of information, which guaranteed a clean rescue from our problems, and that was (and is even now) our mother!

               Really, today, when I look back, I realise, what a treasure trove of knowledge my mother has been! She has an answer to each and every question; and a logical one, at that.  I really wonder, how she could gather and process all that information and supply it so efficiently, as and when required! I have read somewhere, that every new generation comes  blessed with more grey matter than the previous one. But, when I think about my mother, I can conclude confidently- and, I am sure, you all will, too - that our mothers, who belonged to the past generation, were blessed with much more grey matter than any of us. Else, they wouldn't be having solutions to each and every issue in life.

            I remember how pathetic I was in mathematics. I hated the subject with all my heart. It showed on my answer sheets! But, one day, mum decided that enough was enough, and took matters in her own hands. She being a Political Science student, helped me with my algebra and geometry, and wonder of wonders, this dud secured fabulous marks in her tests! A feat she had never even dreamt of!
Well, that's how smart my mum is! Wonder why I am taking all the credit!

          Her knowledge about the universe and its funny ways was beyond my understanding. Every night, during our after- dinner strolls, she would point out to planets and constellations in the sky, telling us not only their names, but also the story behind each of those, which we found rather amusing, and enlightening.  And, if she failed to answer any particular question, then she would promptly find out the answer and present it the very next day! And, what do we smart-asses do today? We google stuff and call ourselves geniuses! No, I don't do it. At least, not in front of my mum. She would never say a word, but, I myself would feel ashamed to show-off my artificial knowledge to someone as 'genuine' as mum.

          These days, since the time I learned to handle the computer, I do look up for info on the net. But, if I am ever in need of some reliable information, I simply call up mum. I know I will get what I want. And, that's why,  I don't get panicky on days when Mr. Google decides go away on a sabbatical. I have my very own google, encyclopaedia, all rolled into one - my mum!        


Comments

  1. You are a lucky gal to have your mom to be your Google!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Right, Vinitha! I thank my lucky stars each and every day!

      Delete
  3. Mathematics! My sis used to help me out, there!

    But the one thing my mum used to very sweetly do: Read all the essays I had written as a kid, and saved some of them and kept them in her diary. She still proof-reads some of my blog posts, if I'm scared to hit the publish button. Or when I feel like - this blog post has gotta be the best one till date!

    I agree, moms are better than Google. Coz when you lose a sock, Google can only help you to buy a new one. Not find the old one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it, Mithila! It's only our mums, who can really get us out of any mess we may get into!

      Delete
  4. Your mom was your google? That has to be fun. Even now, I am called upon to answer all kinds of weird questions. But at least, I can toss -- google it to my kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Rachna, my mum has been my Google. She knows everything! Wonder why I didn't inherit those genes! :))

      Delete
  5. Such a sweet one! My Mum hated that subject and took me to market to calculate when she was buying vegetables. 7.75 - 2.5 equals how much? :)
    Loved your post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Moms always have this super power to do everything so flawlessly. Even my mom is a political student yet she taught the three of us maths and science at home. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, how very similar we are...and so are our moms! And,you are so right...our moms are blessed with the super powers that you won't ever find in any of the Super Men!

      Delete
  7. How fortunate you are to have such a super-mom! Thanks for sharing a bit about your mother. Cherish her every single minute! Best wishes to you and your mother.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…

The motherhood challenge.

A  few days ago, a dear friend of mine wrote a touching post disapproving the 'motherhood challenge' that has been going viral on Facebook. Motherhood challenge is all about women posting pictures with their children and tagging other women, who according to them, are 'awesome mothers'. But, my friend felt that by adding the words challenge and dare,  they were drawing a divide between themselves and others who weren't blessed enough.  I was touched by her views that defended women who might feel marginalised by such a challenge, although that might not be the motive behind it at all.
          Wonder how many women would feel the way my friend did! How many of the 'blessed ones' try and understand that behind such decisions might lie a reason, a helplessness that gives a woman endless pain? We haven't chosen to stay childless because of a lack of fondness for children. There were reasons and circumstances that stood in the way of us holdin…