Skip to main content

A love letter.

                     Dearly beloved, 

                               Hi!

                               Another letter!  I know, it's the first thing you will say (and roll your eyes at) when you open the envelop. Call me outdated, old fashioned,  whatever you like. But, well, that's how I am! And, you are stuck with me for life, so you might as well get used to it, dude!  

                        So, what's up? You home from work? Did you have your chilled coffee? Good. Now, sit back and relax and read on. Ah! Okay, so I AM getting used to this place, with it's myriad sights and smells. And, as you said, the people are a bit too friendly. So, I have made a few friends! Finally! Yes. Surprising, coming from this introvert.  A bit of your attitude did rub off on me, and I am stepping out of my shell, slowly and steadily. So, now, I have a morning-walk partner, a work-ride partner, a library partner, and also a dinner partner. But, there is one partner I miss like crazy. My life partner!

                    I miss you. So much. Soooo much!!! Tell you something? It's midnight and the electricity here, which I told you plays truant, has done it again!  The torch breathed it's last an hour ago, and I had but one candle left (stop tch tch-ing. I will buy a packet tomorrow) which I am burning now to write this letter to you. I just couldn't sleep, J. I kept tossing and turning for so long! And, as I was counting those fluffy sheep, hoping they would lead me to slumberland, I remembered that night, at the railway station, where we met. That moment - it felt so much like this very moment, that I just had to write to you!

                Remember our walk, from the station to the guest house through the jungle? Yeah yeah, I know, it wasn't a jungle. But, we did see those fireflies! That's the reason I call it a jungle. And, you know what? Last night, as I was standing in the balcony, taking in some cool air, I SAW A FEW FIREFLIES!  I was ecstatic! How I wished you were here, holding my hand, laughing at me, as I went berserk jumping with joy at that heavenly sight! 

            I miss you, J. I miss you, when I step out in the rains and the wind blows away my umbrella; I miss you, when I look up to see a magnificent rainbow light up the dull grey sky; and, yes, when I have those succulent corn cobs by the sea side, all by myself.  I miss you, when the curtain of the clouds clears away and the sun peeps at the world. I miss you, when the moon comes out in the black velvety sky to kiss me good night. I miss you. I miss those moments, when we cracked those inane jokes that no one would laugh at. I miss you, sweetheart.  I miss you every single minute. 

            And, I miss you now, as I write this letter, like  those hundreds that I wrote in the past few months, but failed to post. Where would I possibly post these? You didn't give me your address, you bad guy! You bad, selfish fellow! Why did you have to choose a place like heaven to go to? Why didn't you find a place somewhere here, on earth?  Why, oh, why, J? 

           Will you come back? Just once? Just once, when I will hold you in my arms, and breathe a thousand breaths and live a hundred lives? Will you? Could you?

           That's all for now, baby. The candle has nearly burnt out. And, so have I.

           Miss you. A lot. Do you?

                                                                                                   Forever yours
                                                                                                             S.
    
   
*The above post has been written for Wordy Wednesday.
  This week's prompt: Picture Prompt.
  This week's prompt comes from writer, blogger and B-A-R member,  Parul Kashyap Thakur.





Comments

  1. Shilpa, I loved this letter.. it's a bit sad at the end. But I loved the way you have written it. Actually feels like you are talking to someone. Thats a great letter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ls! I have always loved writing letters, and I have always written them this way, as if I was talking to the person I was writing to. :)

      Delete
  2. Hmm. Very conversational letter indeed, and a sad one. Though I must say, there's a bit of modern-ness in the old fashioned letter :D

    Loved the line, "The candle has nearly burnt out. And, so have I." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Vinay!
    That is how letters must be - conversational, isn't t? :) Well, you are conversing with the person at the other end! :))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On love and attachments.

Learning to live without the person whom we loved more than our life is one of the toughest things we humans experience during our life.
Almost every moment of our day we spend in their shadows, enveloped in their love; we don't even realise when they became an extension of our selves. We come to accept them along with their flaws, their peculiarities, which often have the potential to drain us of our patience. Yet, we love them, unconditionally, at times wondering how we survived before they entered our world. Often, we also wonder how we will ever survive after they leave our world.

The human mind is such.  Its ability to give birth to a thought and then mull over it however unpleasant it may be, is quite baffling! We realise we stand to lose our sanity if we don't get rid of that negative thought; we understand how important it is to live in the moment and enjoy it with the loved ones we fear losing someday, yet we keep worrying ourselves to death about what would happen t…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

MOM - Film Review.

Starring: Sridevi, Akshaye Khanna, Nawazuddin Siddiqui.

Director: Ravi Udyawar

Music: A.R. Rahman.

Rating: 4/5


Because God couldn't be everywhere, He created Mother. A line from the movie, it could very well sum up the movie for you. Sridevi couldn't have chosen a better subject for her 300th film. I haven't been a diehard Sridevi fan, but her last film, English Vinglish, changed my opinion of her and that's the reason I simply wanted to see MOM, right on the day it released.

MOM is emotional; MOM is electrifying; MOM is hard-hitting; MOM is riveting, right till the end.  In short, MOM is Sridevi. This could very well be the review in a nutshell, but there's more I would love to talk about.

Devki Sabarwal (Sridevi) is a school teacher, the kind one can never mess with, whoever you may be. However, at home, she struggles to bond with her 18 year old step-daughter, Arya (Sajal Ali). The quiet acceptance and the sensitivity with which she accepts the cold vibes she r…