Skip to main content

Friends.


         As Friendship Day draws closer, I think about the numerous friends I have made over the years, and feel grateful for having amassed this treasure. But, more than that, I rue the fact that there have been some friends I have lost along the way due to reasons beyond my control.  For me, my friends mean a lot. They are my world; the priceless gift I have been blessed with. So, whenever I have lost some of these, or parted ways with anyone of these, I have been left broken hearted.
      The worst line I have heard is, that people come into our lives to serve a purpose; some of them leave after they have served that purpose, and others stay with us for the rest of our lives. How terrible that sounds! If people do come into my life and if I forge a bond with them, then I would want them to stay with me till the end of time. Period. I don't want them to serve any purpose other than to fill my life with their love and laughter, and vice versa.
    Today, I really miss a few of my dearest friends who were a very important part of my life for quite some time, but who walked away, all by themselves for reasons unknown, and I feel so helpless and desperate without them. How I wish they would read this post and get in touch, rekindle our friendship, so that we could  take off from where we left!  But, if wishes were horses...
   
     On the brighter side, I have made some new friends, who have filled my life with happiness, and impressed me with their loving nature and their large-heartedness, and for that I am truly grateful. I know that people keep coming into our lives and  leaving our worlds, but today, that is not what I would like to think about.  Today, I would just like to wish that all those friends who are with me, stay with me; I would like to wish, that all those friends who parted ways, come back and fill my life with the happiness that they took away along with them. Do I sound selfish? Well, I am a bit. But, more than that, I am possessive about my people, my friends. And, that is the reason behind my selfish desires.
   
     Friendship is such a sentiment  we humans have been blessed with, that had we been oblivious to this emotion, this feeling of kinship with people not related to us by blood, our lives would have been   meaningless. I believe that the people who come into our lives, and with whom we strike an instant bond,  have been a part of our  past lives as well (this thinking has been inspired by Dr. Brian Weiss' Many lives, many masters).  Just think over it. We come into contact with  countless people everyday, but there are just a few who enter our hearts and fill it up with their warmth. Why?
   
   My friends make me rich with their unconditional love and support,  and the immeasurable happiness they spread around them. Some of those who will read this post, will instantly know that I speak about them! And, to each one of those, I would like to give my love and warmest wishes for a beautiful life; and wish for  a world, where we shall  live and laugh and grow old along with each other, hand in hand, till death do us part.


Comments

  1. Happy Friendship Day, Shilpa and love the quote of Dr Weiss. I have the same feeling and love how you spoke from the heart:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Friendship Day, Shilpa! It's true, friends are family we choose for ourselves. It's a blessing to have some good friends in our life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shilpa! True, it is a blessing!

      Delete
  3. Lovely post!! Oh, it hurts so much to think of those friends who have left us or lost touch due to the busy lives we live! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. You seem to be quite an emotional person, I guess your blog title is a proof of that :) I must hastily add that I mean if in a good way :) I have always been very selective person in making friends or getting closer with people. So for me, the idea that people come into your life and walk away means something very different. And I am perfectly comfortable with the idea of each person fulfiing a certain purpose in our evolution. But like I said I can understand how you may feel differently about this idea. Happy friendship day! May you always have a rich life full of sweet friendships!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beloo! Yes, I am very emotional, and deal with life in a very different way. I am a 'heart person' and get affected with anything that touches the very core of my heart. At times, though, I wish I was stronger and braver, or in short, a 'head person'!
      I am glad that I have been blessed with some really amazing friends, who have stood by me through thick and thin. And for that I am very grateful. I do miss those who left, but, as they say, that's life! :)

      Delete
  5. You know, even if we have just a handful of friends we should consider ourselves lucky because trust me not everyone can be a good friend..And if you find someone who stays with you despite your quirks, I like to say that Friendship Day is for them..

    Wonderful post :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy friendship day, Shilpa. And I completely agree. I have lost a few for reasons known or unknown. The space is empty and blue. I get that feeling. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and wish you the same, Shalini! I am glad you understand how I feel!

      Delete
  7. I can't imagine life without friends! True... they come and go... and then new ones come... but the feeling of friendship remains, doesn't it? That there are some people around who share the same kind of craziness with you! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Chicky, life without friends would lose all its colour, its flavour! Just wish they stayed with us always.

      Delete
  8. Hope you had a good friendship day. I do not have many friends to brag about. In fact, when I think about it, I hardly have any. :) Anyone, new to your space. Happy to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have a good Friendship day. Met my two Bffs and chatted to my heart's content. Friends are really a treasure and one is really lucky, and rich, to have a few of them in one's life.
      Thank you for visiting, Tequila! Happy to have met you! :)

      Delete
  9. What a lovely post! I have a few great friends and I have those who just got lost somewhere in time. I believe that people are essentially loners. Some times, we meet those with who the chord strikes. Friends are the family we make for ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In our society, the relationship between lovers is given more importance, even if the relationship did not last. Even the ex-boyfriends or the ex-girlfriends have a place in human memory and make fodder for conversation. However, that is not the case with broken friendships. Very few people talk about it or even acknowledge it. More often than not, it is pride that interferes here. But the truth is that these broken relationships hurt just as much (if not more at times).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How true, Shantala! And, I am sure we don't forget about these broken relationships ever. They stay in a corner of our hearts forever!

      Delete
  11. Lovely post. "Friends give unconditional love and support and the immeasurable happiness they spread around them". I totally agree with you on this.":)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On love and attachments.

Learning to live without the person whom we loved more than our life is one of the toughest things we humans experience during our life.
Almost every moment of our day we spend in their shadows, enveloped in their love; we don't even realise when they became an extension of our selves. We come to accept them along with their flaws, their peculiarities, which often have the potential to drain us of our patience. Yet, we love them, unconditionally, at times wondering how we survived before they entered our world. Often, we also wonder how we will ever survive after they leave our world.

The human mind is such.  Its ability to give birth to a thought and then mull over it however unpleasant it may be, is quite baffling! We realise we stand to lose our sanity if we don't get rid of that negative thought; we understand how important it is to live in the moment and enjoy it with the loved ones we fear losing someday, yet we keep worrying ourselves to death about what would happen t…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…