Skip to main content

Health is wealth.

              I stand before the mirror and admire myself in the jeans that I bought seven years ago, and blow myself a kiss! It makes me ecstatic to know that I haven't piled on any major number of kilos in the past seven years, or even for that matter, in the past 20 years! I am blessed to be born with a fast metabolism, which ensures that I metabolise the food quicker and don't take any fat from it.  Sadly, though, I wasn't born with this enlightened mind.
            In my youth, I took pride in  this lean frame of mine. However, after I entered holy matrimony and  my body refused to look happy and glowing,   I started getting questioned as to whether my spouse beat me up if I ate an extra morsel? I hit rock bottom. I dreaded meeting people, as I knew their first query on meeting me would be, why I was so thin! So, in the faint hope that gorging on all sorts of fatty food will push up my weight, I began overindulging. But, sadly, the weighing scale failed to show any change!  Broken hearted, I decided to accept the fact that eat what I may, I was stuck looking waifish for life.
          Around that time, I took up a job, where my colleagues looked at me in awe, as I would eat anything and everything and not gain a gram! And, they... they would survive for days on end on boxes full of salads!  They joined gyms, went on all sorts of diets, in the hope that someday they would fit into their old blouses, but, in vain! And, that was when I realised how blessed I was! That was when  I realised the importance of a balanced healthy diet that included every food group, and the disadvantages of crash diets that offered zero nutrients to the body, leaving us malnourished and fatigued.
        Over the years, I worked on my diet, included healthy, wholesome food that left me feeling satiated as well as well-nourished. It had a positive effect on my health and  I lost the waif look and gained a healthy glow! I began taking pleasure in the fact that I  not only  had a naturally slim (and a bit curvy) figure, but also a healthy system from within. And, that was all thanks to my revamped diet consisting of three meals per day, peppered with healthy snacks at regular intervals, which ensured I never went hungry.
         My body gets a continuous supply of fuel to keep it going through the day, and my various activities make sure I get ample exercise that keeps me fit. Yes, I do indulge in the sin-foods every once in a while. I mean, life has to have some spice, isn't it? But, I make sure I don't compromise on the  daily intake of good nutritious food, because that is what will stand me in good stead. I need to take care of myself now, so that I stay fit and fine as a senior citizen!
        My queen-size breakfast of  oats with curds and dry fruits, and sweetened with the tastiest of rich golden honey,  keeps me charged up throughout the day!I follow it up with a healthy lunch and a light dinner to  ensure a continuous supply of energy for my body.  I love adding honey to my fruit salads, and wheat bread sandwiches, and at times to my vanilla ice cream, too! My Honey Diet has made a lot of difference to my overall health and I can see that my face has attained a healthy glow, which I lacked all those years ago!
        Young girls, ladies, women...all of you who  switch over to crash diets in the hope of shedding kilos and getting a svelte form, I plead to you to opt for a healthier diet, instead,  and adopt a positive attitude in life.  It will not only get you the desired form, but will also keep you healthy in your later years. Haven't you heard the saying, "As you sow, so shall you reap"?
     
        

Comments

  1. Great advice, Shilpa. A healthy diet is so important and making peace with our bodies is important, too. Unlike you, I tend to put on weight easily especially now that I've gone through menopause but I've never been into crash diets. I know I have to keep the ol bod moving and eat properly. I do still indulge in sweets now and then. I love chocolate. It's all about balance, moderation and self love. Our bodies serve us well and deserve love and care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You too on promotion blog posts!! But u r slim and I am jealous ;) and absolutely right... Healthy food... I don't follow though

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are indeed blessed to stay slim.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…

The motherhood challenge.

A  few days ago, a dear friend of mine wrote a touching post disapproving the 'motherhood challenge' that has been going viral on Facebook. Motherhood challenge is all about women posting pictures with their children and tagging other women, who according to them, are 'awesome mothers'. But, my friend felt that by adding the words challenge and dare,  they were drawing a divide between themselves and others who weren't blessed enough.  I was touched by her views that defended women who might feel marginalised by such a challenge, although that might not be the motive behind it at all.
          Wonder how many women would feel the way my friend did! How many of the 'blessed ones' try and understand that behind such decisions might lie a reason, a helplessness that gives a woman endless pain? We haven't chosen to stay childless because of a lack of fondness for children. There were reasons and circumstances that stood in the way of us holdin…