Skip to main content

Curiosities.

 An amusing memory from my distant past...


                It was a daily routine of the neighbourhood aunties.  Evenings would invariably find the trio planted onto a favourite bench in the park; packets of bhelpuri or sevpuri open in their laps and risque jokes spewing from their painted mouths.  With one eye on us kids,  as we played nearby, and the other eye on the young couples, who hid behind the trees, cooing sweet nothings to each other, these aunties went about their business of gossiping about all and sundry, arousing curiosity in those around. The mischievous looks they gave each other on spotting the lovebirds spoke volumes about what transpired in those grown-up minds.
              And, our ever inquisitive juvenile minds would often try to make sense of the tidbits that wafted past us; but, whom would we ask what those meant? From their sniggers and guffaws, we kids did  know their talks consisted of  the 'unmentionable' stuff, not meant for our innocent minds.  For, each time we tried inching closer to them, they would shush each other up and glare at us for trying to eavesdrop.
               A loud crack of  laughter from their corner and we little ones  suppressed shy giggles. How that memory brings a smile to my face now!
         
           I find it amusing, and a tad ridiculous, at all that intrigue from back then.  But, that's how young minds are - ever so inquisitive, curious to know what goes on in the adult world, in  the adult talks.  Especially curious about what they  are not entitled to learn about at their tender age.

          Do you remember those times from your childhood, when you would paste your ears to the walls, trying to catch snippets of  discussions that went on between the elders in the adjacent room,  and then dissecting them to make sense of it all?



*The above post has been written for Wordy Wednesday.
This week's prompt: Word prompt: RISQUE.
This week's prompt comes from  B-A-R member, writer and blogger, Geetika Gupta


       

Comments

  1. Can't believe we are at that age when we can do the same to our kids:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Yes, Priya! We can be those mean aunties now!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading about your memories of childhood wanting to understand the adult world through the "aunties". I find it so cute how in India they call women aunties like that. Fun memories. I guess most of my childhood memories of adults would be the parties my parents had when we lived on bases. The military can be quite coarse and I remember lots of people drinking and joking around with lots of raunchy, sexist and risque humour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can very well imagine the scenes at the parties, Cat! :D

      Delete
  3. Shilpa, I remember how we used to try and listen in to my mother and her friends' talks and would guess what they meant by the words we overheard them discussing and laughing like schoolgirls :) Loved your post, happy writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh. I'm the one in my friend group who has this habit of cracking "double-meaning" jokes. And the only retort I have when they giggle and tell me to stop cracking these jokes is - If you're so innocent, how did you even understand the joke? :D
    And I really wonder sometimes, how did we even figure out that the things which the elders talk about are things which we were not supposed to know about? The hushed voices are to be blamed for increasing the curiosities in our young minds! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, Mithila! I can imagine, you sitting in the centre of the circle of your friends, cracking all 'those' kinda jokes and having a rocking time! :))
      True, that. I, too, wonder, how we knew that those were 'those' kind of talks!

      Delete
  5. This one took me down the memory lane, Shilpa. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The motherhood challenge.

            A  few days ago, a dear friend of mine wrote a touching post disapproving the 'motherhood challenge' that has been going viral on Facebook. Motherhood challenge is all about women posting pictures with their children and tagging other women, who according to them, are 'awesome mothers'. But, my friend felt that by adding the words challenge and dare,  they were drawing a divide between themselves and others who weren't blessed enough.  I was touched by her views that defended women who might feel marginalised by such a challenge, although that might not be the motive behind it at all.
          Wonder how many women would feel the way my friend did! How many of the 'blessed ones' try and understand that behind such decisions might lie a reason, a helplessness that gives a woman endless pain? We haven't chosen to stay childless because of a lack of fondness for children. There were reasons and circumstances that stood in the way of us holdin…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…