Skip to main content

Veg or non-veg?

               Veg. V E G E T A R I A N.   I am a vegetarian. Do you have a problem with that?


               Ooh, boy! I can never imagine mouthing these lines when I stepped into my marital home nearly two decades ago!  I, born into a Brahmin family (simply put, Brahmin is a caste of people who 'apparently' stay away from non-vegetarian food and alcohol) married my hubby, who comes from the Kayastha caste (people who can't live without non-vegetarian food)! And, thus began a journey of culinary clashes, mastering the art of diplomacy and developing a taste for non-veg.

            Hubby's folks were flabbergasted to find out that  their new DIL didn't consume meat. Every time someone from the extended family came visiting, they would ask me if I had "learnt to eat non-veg."

           On our honeymoon, we had been to Shrivardhan, a coastal region in Maharashtra famous for its beaches and of course, its sea-food. So, there we were, roaming around idly, when hubby decided to prepare lunch for his new bride. He proposed a visit to the nearby fish market. It was my first trip to the place that was teeming with, what else, but fish of every kind, size, dimension! Some of you must know; it happens to be your favourite place in the world, isn't it? No offence meant. So, there I was, holding onto hubby's shirt sleeve for support, as he bargained for his favourite prawns.
       A fisherwoman did try selling me her wares. " Hey girl, buy this thing. It tastes heavenly when fried," she cooed. Hubby turned around, and with a sly grin informed her that "this girl ain't a fish-person." The guffaws that followed resonate in my mind to this day!

      A relative of hubby's lived nearby and when he came to know we were honeymooning there, invited us for lunch. And, you can guess what he must have prepared. Fish curry and rice. Only. One look of pity from hubby was enough to tell the old man that something was, ahem, fishy. But then, I was the new DIL. I had to respect my in-laws. So, I sat down to eat and finish every thing that swam in my plate, much to the the old man's delight and hubby's guilt. The ice cream that we had later, made up for the fishy lunch.

      Each time I attended a family function from the in-laws side, I would be asked if I had managed to give my taste buds a makeover. The menu almost always consisted of nonveg food, much to my chagrin. Talks would revolve around nonveg food, again, much to my discomfort. I would often get urged to at least taste the curry of the fish/chicken curry that was made. And, when I did oblige, a roomful of people  would eagerly (and with pin drop silence) await my reaction on consuming the  food they were so in love with!

    MIL took it upon herself to transform her DIL into a pakka non vegetarian. And, me being the obedient DIL, began bringing the much-needed change in my food habits. However, a person who hasn't relished nonveg food all her life, will definitely need time to unlearn certain habits, form some new ones,  and develop certain tastes. If I felt like having some of the nonveg stuff, I did. An act that left my MIL beaming with pride. Although, there still were people, who would ask me with concern writ large on their faces,"Do you at least eat eggs?"

       But, times change. And, so do people. And, so did I.  I would try out the nonveg fare made at home, once in a while. The 'while' being once in 6 months/ a year, depending on my mood.   I began losing less of my patience during discussions involving food. Although, there were times, when I couldn't stand being in the kitchen when the crabs came visiting, or even the dried fish, the aroma of which wafted through the entire house each time it was brought out of its container.

      And, today, I like to boast that I can not only eat nonveg, but also prepare it, with élan. Now my SIL beams with pride and rues the fact that her mum (my MIL) isn't here to see this sea change in her DIL! She may not be around, but I am sure MIL must be looking down  from up there and smiling at me, with a twinkle in her eyes! 

Comments

  1. :) It was as if I was reading my Mom's story. She started having eggs and chicken after marrying my Dad. She just can't take the smell of fish. I loved the way you narrated the whole experience. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as you are happy, that's all that matters :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, if you are happy eating what you are eating, then it is all fine. I would rather leave people to discover their own food choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Rachna, that is in fact very important. I do find it a big irritant when some people force-feed people like me.

      Delete
  4. I firmly believe in 'eat what you love and love what you eat!!' :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a vegetarian before marriage but slowly turned non- vegetarian :) Loved reading your story, made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Great to know a little bit more about you, Sulekha!

      Delete
  6. Hahahahaha.. I'm a hardcore non-vegetarian. My friend is a Jain and she too has this problem: she just can't stand me talking about chicken and mutton and fish with extreme gusto. I've learned to adjust with her and talk less about non-veg dishes, but then, me being me, I can hardly control myself!
    But I've decided: Even if the man I truly love is a vegetarian, I ain't getting married to him! :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my God! I am going to pray your guy turns out to be a hardcore nonveg lover, Mithila! :-) <3

      Delete
  7. Hahaha..I can't imagine not eating non-veg. Actually that was a condition while getting married - the guy cannot be a vegetarian! Most of my good friends are vegetarian; that just always seems to be the case, and that is fine. But in a spouse, that was a mandatory "quality", as I had grown up with a vegetarian father, and a non-vegeteraian mother, and I had seen how that turns out. Mom always complained about cooking 2 separate dishes if she ever wanted to eat non-veg, and then dad couldn't tolerate the smell, the dishes had to be different etc etc. Thankfully, my spouse share my love for chicken and fish. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. shares* (Yes, I am back to correct a typo. I am crazy like that :P )

      Delete
    2. You know, Shantala, earlier, when I was a vegetarian, there used to be two dishes on the menu, one nonveg and the other veg, just for me! My in-laws have been quite considerate, except for some..hehehe.. However, now there is not much of a problem, when there is fish at home. If there is mutton/chicken, then I opt for a veggie dish..

      Delete
  8. Reminds me of my mom... she is a vegetarian but prepares non-veg for the family. Kudos Shilpa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't even imagine how you ate fish! I love non-veg, fish, prawns, chicken, and everything else that finds its way to my plate will definitely end up in my tummy. But my husband likes veg more. He can't even stand it when I eat non-veg, especially fish. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :), I guess I had an intuition, Vinitha, that I would be marrying a nonveg lover, so my senses were pretty ready for it all! :)

      Delete
  10. It's a tough one - this transformation specially for a vegetarian to become a non-vegetarian. It has been a reverse journey for me. I gave up non-veg purely out of choice some ten years back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tulika, that must have been tough, too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The motherhood challenge.

            A  few days ago, a dear friend of mine wrote a touching post disapproving the 'motherhood challenge' that has been going viral on Facebook. Motherhood challenge is all about women posting pictures with their children and tagging other women, who according to them, are 'awesome mothers'. But, my friend felt that by adding the words challenge and dare,  they were drawing a divide between themselves and others who weren't blessed enough.  I was touched by her views that defended women who might feel marginalised by such a challenge, although that might not be the motive behind it at all.
          Wonder how many women would feel the way my friend did! How many of the 'blessed ones' try and understand that behind such decisions might lie a reason, a helplessness that gives a woman endless pain? We haven't chosen to stay childless because of a lack of fondness for children. There were reasons and circumstances that stood in the way of us holdin…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…