Skip to main content

The league of the lost.

           


       
  I often have dreams where I lose things.  I could actually call those nightmares, because I see myself getting frantic trying to find those lost articles.  Rarely do I see what exactly it is that I have lost, for my eyesight fails me, and rarely do I ever find those things. I wake up distraught for having dreamt something so unpleasant and keep pouring over every detail of the dream I can remember in a bid to comprehend its meaning. I guess this is what happens when we  attach  too many emotions to things and people, because  when we realise they aren't with us anymore, we hit rock bottom. I use 'we' here on behalf of all the sentimental fools who keep me company and who go through such distress on losing stuff in life.
            I have lost quite a many things till date, in spite of being very particular about safe-guarding them with my life, and it is missing those things that gives me such bad dreams. 'Things' here, though grammatically  incorrect, mean people. People, who were an integral part of my life, who walked some distance with me on this journey, making for a wonderful company, but alas, are with me no more. Things - like the material things - well,  I seldom lose those, as I am obsessive compulsive about keeping things in their rightful places, come what may!
          Those who are no more alongside me were so precious to me, they may not even know! People, who walked away, parted ways for reasons unknown to me or to them; who were snatched away by time and by life, people,  whom I miss so very much. I always wonder why is it that we lose our people - to life. Agreed, that nothing stays as it is for long, that change is the only constant in this world. People come and go, some of them stay, others leave and new ones join us on the way. But, why do they have to leave? It's a question I find hard to answer; a fact I find difficult to accept and live with.
         I may have lost things along the way which I do not miss today, but, people - now those I miss tremendously. So, what do I do? I hold on to the ones that are left. Hold on to them as I would hold on to dear life should I end up in some terrible life or death situation. Sounds miserable, but isn't it a fact that it's people who increase the happiness quotient of our lives? Isn't it people who by their sheer presence make our lives liveable, our burdens bearable?
        There are friends of mine out there, the people  I spoke about, who might (hopefully) read this post. I would have them know that they are being missed - missed terribly! Not a day goes by when I don't wonder about their whereabouts. Not a day goes by when I don't pray for their return. But,  accept it I must that not all prayers get answered; accept it I must that life goes on, and I have to move on. And, move on I will, but with a prayer sent out for all those who were once mine, a prayer for their well-being and happiness. May they spread happiness and cheer wherever they go; may they enrich the lives of whoever they travel with on this short journey of ours, called  'life'.


‘This post is a part of Write Over the Weekend, an initiative for Indian Bloggers by BlogAdda.’

Comments

  1. Ahh, a sentimental and lovely piece my dear! Yes, I get very uncomfortably attached to so many materialistic possessions, it is unbelievable! I have now matured a bit, I can say because invariably I have found these lost ones turn up when you are trying the least to find them, so I have stopped my full-wardrobe raids and ransacks in an attempt to find the lost ones! On a serious note, one never really gets over losing loved ones, the ache just dulls with time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Kala, the ache just dulls with time!

      Delete
  2. You're right. There are people in our lives who we cannot forget, ever. Unfortunately life is about losing friends and finding new ones. And happiness ultimately lies within us. That said, I hope you are always surrounded by people you love and who love and cherish you in return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tulika! That is such a lovely thought!

      Delete
  3. I face something similar. There are people who come in life and we become close until one day, out of the blue everything gets over and the other person drifts so apart that I know nothing about them. Those ones makes me really sad and I wonder what would have gone wrong.
    There is one thing that I keep telling people and myself - Life is like a set of rooms where every room has a set of people. These people include everyone we know..Our journey of life is passing from one room to the other. We meet our parents in the first room and then parents come with us to the second. Then there are friends and other folks who may or may not come with us to the next.In every room we also meet new people. Those who choose not to come wit us, we need to let them go cos they are on their own journey of walking through their rooms.

    Great post and see how much I could relate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I like this analogy of yours, Parul. I realise that not all the people we meet are going to be with us on our journey, for they have their own journey to cover, but, the heart seldom thinks logically, isn't it? However, I keep telling myself nowadays that not everything is constant, so learn to let go..let's see when I will be able to implement on my own teachings! :)

      Delete
  4. Yes, l know exactly what you are talking about. The losses of some of them are so unbearable. Some by circumstances and other due to time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes some losses are too hard to get over with. But we decide whether to moan over it or move on. I always think by the quote, 'Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened.' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Darshana! We need to decide whether to moan over it, or be grateful that it is over and then move on. There's a lot we can learn from things that happen, people we meet..
      Thank you for the visit, Darshana! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The motherhood challenge.

            A  few days ago, a dear friend of mine wrote a touching post disapproving the 'motherhood challenge' that has been going viral on Facebook. Motherhood challenge is all about women posting pictures with their children and tagging other women, who according to them, are 'awesome mothers'. But, my friend felt that by adding the words challenge and dare,  they were drawing a divide between themselves and others who weren't blessed enough.  I was touched by her views that defended women who might feel marginalised by such a challenge, although that might not be the motive behind it at all.
          Wonder how many women would feel the way my friend did! How many of the 'blessed ones' try and understand that behind such decisions might lie a reason, a helplessness that gives a woman endless pain? We haven't chosen to stay childless because of a lack of fondness for children. There were reasons and circumstances that stood in the way of us holdin…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…