Skip to main content

The touch.


                 Travelling during the monsoon in Mumbai's public transport can be quite a feat - achievable only by the regulars. I know, I travelled all through my college years. It can be a  fun ride and a pain at the same time. Fun - if you are in the company of your good mood, and a pain if you are in the company of too many people pushing you,  and brushing against you by mistake, or on purpose. And, being a woman,  reading the motive behind the push or shove in a packed bus is child's play. Yes, we are born with dozens of  invisible sensory appendages on our bodies that give us signals of all sorts, significance of every touch! But, once in a while comes  a  touch that's far from annoying; a touch that can transport us into a wonderland and leave us feeling tickled and flushed to a crimson each time the memory comes alive.

               So, there I was, travelling to college early one  morning in a packed bus; packed, because another bus on our route had had a flat tyre due to which the passengers from that bus had been loaded onto our bus, leading to utter chaos. Chaos within and chaos outside - it was pouring that day, pouring as if the heavens had had an overflowing dam. With tempers  frayed and patience running on an all time low, the poor conductor was doing his best to keep the situation under control.  I had given up my seat for an elderly lady and was balancing myself on one foot, holding my bag and my umbrella with one hand and trying to hold on to a  pole with the other.  And, all this at the beginning of the day! I was wondering how the rest of the day would unfold, when the driver hit the brake to avert a collision with a truck ahead. And, all hell broke loose.

             All the passengers who had been standing in the aisle toppled over one another, screaming and yelling in pain and anger. Abuses came thick and fast and the scene was worst than a horror movie scene. I almost  joined the people on the floor of the bus. For, no sooner had the driver hit the brake than I lost my balance, my hand slipped off the pole and I was about to fall into a heap on top of the lady in front of me, when a hand encircled my waist and pulled me to my feet. My bag and my umbrella had fallen off and I now stood facing my saviour, my hands clutching his strong shoulders, holding for dear life. All the commotion had left me out of breath and I was now peering into a pair of warm, honey brown eyes -  dumbstruck!

          "Are you okay? I hope you aren't hurt!" said my knight, all considerate and caring. For  two long minutes I stood mesmerised by those eyes and the sexiest voice I had ever heard, oblivious to the pandemonium around me. I kept on staring at him open-mouthed, and finally, when he shook me out of my reverie, I came to my senses and mumbled something. What a darn fool I had made of myself! I blushed like a teenager in love and chuckled sheepishly. He quickly bent to pick up my belongings and shove them in my hands before turning around to help a gentleman to his feet.

            Ah, a real knight he was! For, the touch that I felt - his touch, when he held me in his arms - was the gentlest touch I had felt for the first time in my life! Every other day, I was so used to the perverted touch of some male-passengers,  it sent me flying off the handle!  But, this was so different. So...nice, I didn't want it to end.  All of a sudden, I felt so conscious - conscious of his presence behind me, of his warm breath on my neck, of his eyes that I was sure were looking at the back of my head. I was breathing so hard, I wanted to disappear that very moment!

           Sadly, my knight had to alight the bus at the next stop. But, before he moved towards the exit, he whispered, "You take care!" into my ear and was lost in the crowd. It sent a wave of tickles all through my entire being! My eyes searched for  him, but the heavy rain and the crowd outside - all of it blocked my view. All the way to my college, I replayed the entire scene, and that too in slow-motion, just like in our hindi movies, and blushed  like an idiot. I was so lost in my thoughts, I missed my stop! Lord, what an imbecile I was!

         The rest of the day passed by, well, I really have no memory of how my day passed by. My brain had been busy wool-gathering. Silly me! But, it still leaves me  breathless just thinking of that rainy day, of my knight in shining armour. It's one incident that has embedded itself snugly in my mind and my heart; an incident I vividly remember  to this day. It was a touch which I might never ever feel again in my life, but it will sure make me all giddy  however much I age. Well, that's the magic of the right touch, isn't it?


         
‘This post is a part of Write Over the Weekend, an initiative for Indian Bloggers by BlogAdda.’


*The above post is a figment of my overactive imagination, although, I wish it were otherwise! :)

Comments

  1. It makes for a beautiful candy-floss romance and whatta moment in your life. This is amchi Mumbai:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, VIshal! True Mumbai-ishtyle, or rather, typical Bollywood-style! :)

      Delete
  2. OOh Shilpa, you silent romantic, you :) This was such an adorable read. I could almost see the scene playing out before me :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe! yes, Shailaja, I am a die-hard romantic with all sorts of dreams and scenarios floating in that wool-gathering head of mine!

      Delete
  3. Ahh it would have made quite a love story..I could see you and the knight the way you described it..goosebumps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.. to be rescued thus must be heaven. Honey colored eyes, indeed. Did you never see the guy again? What a shame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, Ls, never crossed paths ever! Sigh!

      Delete
  5. Good to know there are people who are genuinely good and can be trusted. Well written. I believe you would be interested to read about bad touch too. DO visit my blog and post your views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Nishit, thankfully there are some good souls around! Thank you for visiting! :)

      Delete
  6. Hmmm, chupi rustam! Rains and romance do go so well together don't they? Loved this romantic surprise journey! Did you ever see that guy again? Drool drool at your description of him!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! No, Kala, sadly didn't bump into him, ever again! Although, how I wish I had! WOuld have been awesome!

      Delete
  7. A mushy take on the prompt :) That teenage-heart-flutters don't fail to show up at times, I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sampada! The heart flutters, and at all the wrong times, I guess! :))

      Delete
  8. How sweet! I wish you had met him one more time and the post would have a part 2 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes! A part 2 would have been fabulous, Parul!:)

      Delete
  9. ohh wouldn't it be great if you bumped into him again :D A beautiful and romantic memory :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure would be fun if I did! Thank you, Rajlakshmi!

      Delete
  10. So romantic! I would remember that, too, if it happened to me. You are a natural at writing romance. I was swooning over that knight right along with you. Could be the start of a lovely romance story, Shilpa! I'd love to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Who doesn't love knights and who doesn't love romance, right, Cat? :) Yes, I think I will develop it into a full fledged love story...let's see! <3

      Delete
  11. Quite an exciting day for you. Some touches go beyond where you stopped 😋

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish that last line, that it was fiction, wasn't there at all. This is so very sweet. Off to read part 2.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The motherhood challenge.

            A  few days ago, a dear friend of mine wrote a touching post disapproving the 'motherhood challenge' that has been going viral on Facebook. Motherhood challenge is all about women posting pictures with their children and tagging other women, who according to them, are 'awesome mothers'. But, my friend felt that by adding the words challenge and dare,  they were drawing a divide between themselves and others who weren't blessed enough.  I was touched by her views that defended women who might feel marginalised by such a challenge, although that might not be the motive behind it at all.
          Wonder how many women would feel the way my friend did! How many of the 'blessed ones' try and understand that behind such decisions might lie a reason, a helplessness that gives a woman endless pain? We haven't chosen to stay childless because of a lack of fondness for children. There were reasons and circumstances that stood in the way of us holdin…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…