Skip to main content

The odd pair.

                  Our mind - it's a bit of an oddity, isn't it? Just when you want it to spin its magic, it decides to clam up! No amount of cajoling or flattery succeeds in shaking it out of its unresponsiveness. It's like you are talking to the walls; there is hardly any reaction! Or, like when you want your kiddo  to recite his nursery rhymes and entertain the guests - well, show off his reciting skills, actually - and he simply stands there, all shy and quiet; and all your coaxing seems to lack any power to elicit any reaction from the child!
             That is exactly how I have been feeling since the past week. My mind refuses to come up with a single idea for a blogpost.  "Have you decided to go on a strike?" I asked it. It replied it was away on a sabbatical, taking  along with it all the ideas that floated around in it all the time. Can you believe it? So, now when I sit with my laptop in front of me, my eyes stare at the screen and, in a few moments, glaze over.
           I strive to pull out some idea, like a magician pulling out a rabbit out of his hat, but alas, I fail to  find any!Thank goodness I am not a magician! I would have made a flop show! My Facebook page - Shilpa, the blogger - announces that around 194 people who have 'Liked' my page haven't heard from me in quite some time. So, what do I do? Do I announce in return that my mind is on a sabbatical and that they could wait for some more time, or, go visit other blogs? Or, do I tap away at the keyboard like a woman obsessed and churn out some inane stuff in a desperate bid to hold on to my audience?
          Ah! Whoever said that writing was an easy job hadn't been through a writer's block.  Surprisingly, I don't even see things happening around that I would like to write about and rant about! It's the same old world, with its same old people and their dull and dreary lives. I haven't even heard from my muse in a long time. Shucks! I feel like a lost cause! One week and no blog post. What if I lose my fans to other more productive blogs?
   "Ahem, 'fans' ? Aren't we being rather boastful now?", my conscience makes a snide remark.
    Ah, damn this conscience!
       Okay, let me see. How about I write something about my pet dog? I turn to look at him for inspiration. He turns his back towards me, mumbles something and goes to sleep. I can see a "Do not talk trash about me, a la AIB roast-thingy" sign put up by him.  Gosh! That brute has the nerve to say that to me?! And, it was I who made him famous! Now I can't even depend on him for any ideas!
       First my mind and then my pet dog have forsaken me! What if my muse does the same and leaves me all high and dry? What am I going to do then? How am I going to write a word? But, hey, haven't I already written all these words here? To begin with, I didn't have the slightest idea what I would write about, except jabber  about my lazy mind. And, look at me now - there is an entire blog post that I conjured up from all that jabbering!
 
     "Hello! Madam, it isn't you who has written the post, it's moi- your  lazy mind -out-on-a-sabbatical, who  helped you with those words, while you did nothing but type away like a mad woman the ideas that I was supplying you with! Hmph!" the mind nudges me out of my bragging mode. Boy! It actually works even when on a sabbatical! Oh, thank God, what would I ever do without it?

        Our mind and our conscience - quite a pair of oddities, aren't they? But, if it hadn't been for these two, who would have kept us grounded!?

               
             
               

Comments

  1. A free write works, isn't it? I like to do my picture posts and that keep my mind active and hunt for ideas all the time. Something that works this side :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! Your lazy mind did a decent enough job. I do hope it has pulled you out of the block. It can be terribly annoying. Some days your head is teeming with ideas but you have no time to put down a post and then some days you stare at the computer and nothing comes! Whoever said writing was easy??? Oh and that FB message 'so many people haven't heard from you for a while' - that makes me all guilty too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On love and attachments.

Learning to live without the person whom we loved more than our life is one of the toughest things we humans experience during our life.
Almost every moment of our day we spend in their shadows, enveloped in their love; we don't even realise when they became an extension of our selves. We come to accept them along with their flaws, their peculiarities, which often have the potential to drain us of our patience. Yet, we love them, unconditionally, at times wondering how we survived before they entered our world. Often, we also wonder how we will ever survive after they leave our world.

The human mind is such.  Its ability to give birth to a thought and then mull over it however unpleasant it may be, is quite baffling! We realise we stand to lose our sanity if we don't get rid of that negative thought; we understand how important it is to live in the moment and enjoy it with the loved ones we fear losing someday, yet we keep worrying ourselves to death about what would happen t…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…