Skip to main content

Cherishing moments, making memories.

                It was 10 at night. Hubby and I were driving down an almost deserted freeway. The radio was playing some melodious numbers from  old hindi movies. Looking out of the window, I saw  lush greenery on either side of the road offering some much needed romantic touch to the entire atmosphere.  To add to it, hubby and I were chatting comfortably, without arguing over any matter! The  entire scenario stirred an emotion  within me which I hadn't felt in a long time. How long had it been since we had enjoyed a conversation, or even the comfortable silence between us? Ages! And, that's when I had this irresistible urge to just grab that moment and never let it go!
        How often we experience such moments which we feel we could hold onto forever?  Moments we share with our family, our friends, or even with ourselves, that leave us with a feeling of euphoria. Moments, that we treasure as we would our precious jewels, cherishing them for days on end, specially, on days when life leaves us feeling gloomy or hopeless. Moments, that act as a balm on our wounded souls, giving us some much needed strength to keep moving ahead.
         That night, as I tried to soak in that breathtakingly beautiful moment, I wondered how it would be if I tried gathering every bit of it and held it tight into my clenched  fist; it would stay with me forever! But, the next instant I realised how, if I tried holding  onto something so fiercely, it would all just slip away, like the sand that slips out through the  gaps between your  fingers when you hold it in your fist. I realised I had to just live in that moment and preserve it in some safe place within my heart. Preserve it so  I can  reminisce about it in some distant future, to gather courage during times of distress when life changed her colours.
       There are  things each one of us cherishes that have stories attached to it; a moment that held promise of a beautiful future, or a blessing from one's parents.  And, these cherished things could be anything: a piece of jewellery, or an artefact, an item of clothing, or even a rose, pressed in between the fading pages of an old book. But, the memories attached to these things are the same; memories of love and laughter, of happiness and joy that strengthen our belief that life is, indeed,  beautiful!
     As for me, I cherish moments; moments that leave me feeling on top of the world; those that  fill my heart to the brim with boundless happiness and with a renewed enthusiasm to move ahead in life. Those are the moments that will stay with me always, fill my days with hope and restore my faith during the scary nights. And, these are what I will cherish, forever and ever!

    What is it that you cherish?
     

This is my post for the Cherished Blogfest 2016.   



Comments

  1. Cherish moments keep us going from strength to strength. It makes us emotional but we should always create such precious moments. I can related so much with it. I am writing my Pune Memoirs on blog and what a trip is to go back in time, trying to remember such moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a truly sage reminder -- to live life in the moment and gather those cherished memories. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also cherish moments a lot and I agree that the tighter you want to hold, the faster these moments slip away. Enjoy when you are there and smile. Be grateful and they will come back. Every single day. Lovely post and message there, Shilpa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are exactly right - the things we cherish lead us back to moments of joy, sadness, pride or sorrow. they lead us to family and friends and memories we can't afford to lose.

    thanks you for sharing your view. I hope you have many more such moments to hang onto.

    Dan - cohost - #CBF16

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes those moments, I wish they go on and on. The talks, the laughters ... just thinking about them makes me smile. Indeed those are cherished times... we can only hold them in our memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so sweet, Shilpa! Family and friends, time spent with them, enjoying the moment is what life is all about. Hugs! Lovely post for "Cherished"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, moments and memories, and the occasional object that reminds us of them. For me, it is also the sketchbooks that hold the memories! Lovely writing. Thanks for playing with us, Kate, Co-Host, #CBF16

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so understand what you express. Those fleeting moments that you want to hold onto because they are so precious. Thanks for sharing your cherished object with the blogfest this year. Cheryl, cohost.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I realised I had to just live in that moment and preserve it in some safe place within my heart." We should do that more often with those precious moments. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a wondrous reminder that we need to cherish precious moments, like reading a great blog. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The motherhood challenge.

            A  few days ago, a dear friend of mine wrote a touching post disapproving the 'motherhood challenge' that has been going viral on Facebook. Motherhood challenge is all about women posting pictures with their children and tagging other women, who according to them, are 'awesome mothers'. But, my friend felt that by adding the words challenge and dare,  they were drawing a divide between themselves and others who weren't blessed enough.  I was touched by her views that defended women who might feel marginalised by such a challenge, although that might not be the motive behind it at all.
          Wonder how many women would feel the way my friend did! How many of the 'blessed ones' try and understand that behind such decisions might lie a reason, a helplessness that gives a woman endless pain? We haven't chosen to stay childless because of a lack of fondness for children. There were reasons and circumstances that stood in the way of us holdin…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…