Skip to main content

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!

*Day 2 of the 7 day blogging challenge at Write Tribe.

         

          Today's rule  brings to mind a line from an old hindi film song that went like this:

                "Kuch toh log kahengey..
                   logon ka kaam hai kehna.."
                   
        Meaning:
                  People will talk, for, that is what they are born to do!

         And, that's why..

                     What other people think about you is none of your business!

                 
          How often do we imagine all the horrid things people might think about us? We try out new outfits, or a brand new hairstyle, or visit a pub with friends, or just express our views on social media,  but, all through, the thought that  niggles at the back of our mind is, "What will people say? What will they think of me if I behave in such a way/opine on a matter thus?" 

          People's perceptions about us is a cause of great concern to us; our happiness rarely matters. Will we fit in with the conventional image set by the society, or will we be labelled a rebel?  These  thoughts often give us sleepless nights. We fear expressing frank opinions, living a life of our choice, or following our heart, all because we fear the repercussions vis-a-vis our image.

        Really, why should we care what someone thinks about us? What difference will it make, anyway? We also often forget that everyone has a life to live, matters to settle, problems to  solve.  Who really has the time to reflect upon our choices after a certain point? And, even if they do, so what? We fail to consider the most elementary  fact: how does it matter?  It's our life, isn't it?

        I have not been much of a rebel myself, ever.  I have always been cautious about what I say/do, weighed my words carefully, behaved in a certain manner so as not get labelled  as 'unrefined' or 'wild'. But, after all these years, I have realised that it has  made me so self-conscious, that I have been living a life full of inhibitions! There has always been this hesitancy in talking my mind (lest people ridicule) or, even dancing like crazy, lest I make a mockery of myself!

        I know some free-spirited people who live their life like they owe no justification to a single soul. Their body language, their self-confidence says a lot about their happiness quotient. It makes me envious, and I wonder why I can't emulate their carefree ways! They aren't demeaning themselves in any way, or hurting anyone around them. They are just living! Be it speaking their mind, pursuing hobbies or careers, or something as trivial as dancing in the rain; they hardly care what others think about them. Frankly, these are the happiest souls, ever!

       Well, now that I have poured it all out, and  gained some insight, I guess, I will just get up and dance! Or, even speak, or behave, in fact, just live the way I find fit. What the world thinks about me, is really not my business!

      Because, it's my life!

       *Click on the words above and you'll know what I mean!  :)

      And, have a happy, carefree day! 




      




     

Comments

  1. Brave words . We live in a society and "man is born free but lives everywhere in chains". It is hard to be completely free without social boundaries ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true, bellybytes. But, it won't harm in trying to live a little for ourselves, as per our wishes, too, would it? :)
      Thank you for the visit! :)

      Delete
  2. Hey, let me dance with you. Thanks for Inspirational words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dance along, Upasna! Hope you enjoy it!
      Thank you for the visit! :)

      Delete
  3. Glad you are all set to get up and dance! I definitely believe that we live for ourselves and as long as we are happy without being a nuisance to society why bother about what others think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly what we all should be doing! There will be many more happy faces around if we begin doing that in earnest!

      Delete
  4. What lovely thoughts, Shilpa! Dancing to: Its My Life...hehee, thanks for sharing that! This is one aspect that is probably pretty difficult to practice, but once you break the mold that society has cast you in, it can be very liberating. Wait for me...lets dance in the rain together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kala, taking the first step is a bit difficult, but, once you are in, you can make wonders happen!
      We are dancing together, for sure! Some day!

      Delete
  5. What a great topic! There are things we should always remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)
      Yes, we ought to keep these in mind!

      Delete
  6. Happiness comes from within. It cannot be had any other way. People who are happy are just happy no matter what. Expectations, frustrations when they are not fulfilled, comparisons...all these things hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quotes are too good. There's great wisdom in what they say. To each his own, isn't it? Love the concluding lines ... Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Expectations from others hold us down a great deal. If we keep on trying to impress the society then it wouldn't be a life worth living. We live for ourselves. Great thoughts Shilpa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. True true, not caring about what other people think is truly bliss! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mithila! Ignorance is bliss!

      Delete
  10. What others think of us need be no concern, in fact. But it's difficult to reach that stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it sure is difficult, but there's no harm in trying a bit! :)
      Thank you for the visit, Tomichan!

      Delete
  11. lovely thoughts Shilpa, sometimes its just good to be badass!
    Regards
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tina!
      Yes, badass is THE word! :)

      Delete
  12. Thought provoking post. I'm like you not a rebel but I'm also not a people pleaser. What I do, how I dress etc. may bother me only if it comes from my closest folks. Their intent would then be not pointing fingers but helping me improve and that works for me. Over many years, I've become better at going what I like to do vs thinking of others :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On love and attachments.

Learning to live without the person whom we loved more than our life is one of the toughest things we humans experience during our life.
Almost every moment of our day we spend in their shadows, enveloped in their love; we don't even realise when they became an extension of our selves. We come to accept them along with their flaws, their peculiarities, which often have the potential to drain us of our patience. Yet, we love them, unconditionally, at times wondering how we survived before they entered our world. Often, we also wonder how we will ever survive after they leave our world.

The human mind is such.  Its ability to give birth to a thought and then mull over it however unpleasant it may be, is quite baffling! We realise we stand to lose our sanity if we don't get rid of that negative thought; we understand how important it is to live in the moment and enjoy it with the loved ones we fear losing someday, yet we keep worrying ourselves to death about what would happen t…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…