Skip to main content

Just let it go!

             It has been a long time since I participated in a Blogging Challenge. So, when I learnt about the  7 day blogging challenge at Write Tribe, I jumped at the opportunity! Then, as I contemplated on the theme for the challenge,  I stumbled upon this post shared by a friend on Whatsapp:



 I was elated! I knew then that this would make for a wonderful theme.
 Each one of us is a work in progress. We do our best in fighting life's battles, living and loving the lives we have been blessed with. But, at times, we need such gentle reminders to help us change our perspectives on certain matters and live happier lives, free of the unnecessary burdens we carry around with us.

        The first rule  I write about today is:

               Make peace with your past, so it won't disturb your present.

        Our life is made up of moments that affect us in a hundred different ways. Some bring with them immeasurable joy and others, insurmountable sorrow.  The happy moments fill our lives with hope and positivity. They help us surge ahead with renewed enthusiasm and  faith that all will be well. But, the moments that bring tears, leave us feeling hopeless, and bitter. We fight our way out of the turbulent times, praying for better days. But, rarely do we acknowledge these turbulent times for moulding us into  a better version of ourselves. All we do, is curse the moment we took certain decisions, or met certain people, who brought with them heartache and despair into our lives.

        We move on to the next chapter in our life, yet, we fail to let go of those bitter memories. We hold grudges against the people who may have hurt us by their words or used us for their selfish motives. All through our lives, those painful memories remain buried within our hearts, spreading poison throughout our systems. We fail to realise that the past that was, is  travelling with us in our present, ruining our peace of mind and happiness. Neither do we see how those grudges ruin our relationships with the people who matter in our present. 

         I wonder why we do it, this holding on to the past? Why do we find it so difficult to simply let go of what was, and concentrate on what is?  People hurt us, break our hearts and leave us feeling miserable. The grief is indeed unbearable. Why then, don't we toughen  our hearts up  and forget all about it? Why not just deal with it like something that was destined to happen to make us aware of what is really important to our lives?

        We regularly de-clutter our wardrobes, our homes, doing away with stuff we no longer use or need. Why, then, don't we de-clutter our minds? Discard  those memories that haunt us, hurt us, bring us  grief. And, cherish those which are pleasant and happy and fill our hearts with laughter. Isn't it so simple? Yes, it will bother us for a while; the empty space will leave us feeling uneasy, but we could soon fill it with good memories and happy moments that put a spring in our step, a smile on our faces!

       This challenge  couldn't have come at a more opportune time! I have been reflecting upon life, trying to find ways to better myself and therefore needed some pointers to help me find the areas I need to work upon. This one here -  making peace with my past - features on the top of the to-work on list! Here's hoping this challenge not only helps the writer in me polish her craft, but also the woman in me bring out the best in herself!  

       



               

     

         
         

         

Comments

  1. So well summed up Shilpa. Definitely aspects for us all to remember so that we can live a life where we are happy. As Bruce Lee had said, be like water which cannot be harmed no matter what someone tries to do to you. And let negative emotions be like fleeting shadows of a bird passing over the water.

    Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let negative emotions be like fleeting shadows of a bird passing over the water! Wow! Now, THAT is what I need to remind myself every time I go,"Ouch, that hurt!"

      Delete
  2. True, sometimes the best medicine is not revenge, but forgiveness, as it leads to happiness and peace for both the concerned parties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, forgive and forget. Why keep burning in those negative emotions, punishing yourself, more than the others! Thanks Mithila! Hope you have been doing fine!

      Delete
  3. Amen to that, Shilpa! What a fantastic theme you have chosen! Letting go of one's past woes, hurts and grudges is such a hard thing isn't it! Forget, forgive and move on...so simple, yet so difficult. I am going to be visiting you through this week for my dose of daily wisdom. Cheers girl, happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kala! I felt I had to do this one, and maybe learn a few lessons along the way!
      I am going to be visiting you, too! Loved your theme!

      Delete
  4. Hey, that's a philosophical way of looking at things to de-clutter and unburden the mind. Enjoyed reading:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vishal! 'Tis the time to get philosophical! :)

      Delete
  5. Agree with you completely. Decluttering the mind and getting rid of painful memories is the way to move ahead. But it is easier said than done. Nevertheless, it is something that we should do for our sanity and peace of mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it is so much easier said than done, Shilpa! But, it has to be done, else it will drive us insane! And, we can't let that to happen, can we?

      Delete
  6. Very true. It is pointless to brood over the past, for what happened has happened and there is nothing one can do but to move on. Thought provoking piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Darshana. It's what my mum would keep saying. It is now that I can fully fathom the importance of what she said. Nothing can be done about what happened, so it's better to simply forget it all and move on in life.

      Delete
  7. Yes and yes my dear friend! Couldnt agree more, and was feeling happy reading through this post - you write so well about it, and it is a huge source of inspiration to be reminded of this. Gives us peace of mind and heart I think to just manage to let things go!Sending you biiiiiig hugs sweetie:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweetie! It's been so long since I heard from you!
      Yes, it is better to move on, let go and make peace with what happened in the past. What good is it to us in our present?

      Delete
  8. If you figure out how to let go, please fill me in on the secret. I have tried for years to move on from things but somehow, something else will happen to trigger all those memories all over again. It's like when someone hurts you and you move on from them and someone else does the same thing and not only is there a fresh hurt but also the reminder of the previous one. Not sure if that makes sense. Like I said, if you figure out how to make peace with the past, please let us know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Sanch, it is NOT easy - forgetting someone who meant the world to us and moving on. I have been trying to do it since some time now, and believe me, it has been the most difficult thing I have done in the past three years. I have lost a couple of friends who were so close to me, so dear to me. I am coming to terms that I no longer matter to them. I keep saying myself every morning on waking up, that no matter what, I am NOT going to dwell in the past, think about people to whom I don't matter. Instead, I am going to be thankful to the couple of friends who, I know, will always be by my side, rock solid. Yes, the mind does stray, but I have to go grab it with both hands and bring it back to the present. I will tell you something that might sound ridiculous, but, each time my mind goes 'there', I shake my head vigorously and begin thinking about things that I need to do. The reason I have taken up this challenge is 'this'! It is keeping my mind busy. And, you know, why forgetting is most difficult for me? I am a homemaker. I have to take care of my 'son', Chikoo, so I can't work. And, you know how tough it is to keep your mind busy once all the household chores are done? This challenge is helping me big time, and so will the others that I am going to take up in the near future.
      A dear friend told me to keep the 'door' of my heart wide open - those who wish to move out are free to do so. And, those who wish to step inside, are most welcome. But, to this i add, do not get emotionally close to ANYBODY ever again. Try it out, it might help. I hope it does.
      Hugs!

      Delete
  9. Love your theme. And the first one as you start off - well said to that. We need that decluttering more than anything. Good one Shilpa.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful theme.. and yes, painful memories from the past are best forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely theme for a blogging challenge! It is easier said than done but I think we need to imbibe these in order to make peace with our past and move on towards a positive outcome. Live and let live, forgive and forget...simple yet much-needed to learn to let go finally and attain peace within.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are in charge of our own happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very inspiring. I have to constantly remind myself of these very thoughts, it does no good to leave those negative feelings take residence, it's best to let them go with the past.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The motherhood challenge.

            A  few days ago, a dear friend of mine wrote a touching post disapproving the 'motherhood challenge' that has been going viral on Facebook. Motherhood challenge is all about women posting pictures with their children and tagging other women, who according to them, are 'awesome mothers'. But, my friend felt that by adding the words challenge and dare,  they were drawing a divide between themselves and others who weren't blessed enough.  I was touched by her views that defended women who might feel marginalised by such a challenge, although that might not be the motive behind it at all.
          Wonder how many women would feel the way my friend did! How many of the 'blessed ones' try and understand that behind such decisions might lie a reason, a helplessness that gives a woman endless pain? We haven't chosen to stay childless because of a lack of fondness for children. There were reasons and circumstances that stood in the way of us holdin…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…