Skip to main content

A promise to my best friend.

                It's Friendship Day today, so what better occasion than this to make a promise to my best friend, to love her and cherish her for as long as I live!?  We - my bff and I - have been together since the moment I was born. It's some years now,  since I learnt about her significance to my life. To begin with,  I am my bff - my best friend forever. I do have friends, but, it's me, who is closest to me!
       We often fail to realise our own importance in our lives. We cherish our family and our close friends, but seldom do we cherish ourselves. Our contribution towards our development along this journey rarely gets the desired credit.  The people we meet during our journey, and our experiences with them, leave an indelible mark on our psyches. We evolve into better versions of ourselves thanks to those experiences, to those people, but, do we realise that it's  our own efforts due to which  we metamorphose into what we were destined to be?
      We always depend on others for our happiness, seldom realising that it's us on whom our happiness depends! We will be living with ourselves for the rest of our lives, not people, who never last throughout this journey!  Shouldn't we care for our own wellbeing than rely on others for the same?
       So today, I make a promise to myself to love and care for myself, be considerate towards myself, treat myself with kindness, the sort I deserve.  Be more forgiving, and  accepting,  of my shortcomings, knowing fully well that no one here is 'perfect'.  Of course, my dear ones will always hold a place of prominence in my life, but, I will position myself on top of my priority list. People will come into my life and move away, but I will always be here - with me, for me.  Taking care of myself is therefore a necessity, isn't it?



 *Today is the last day of  the Bar-a-thon at Blog-a-rhythm. It has been an exciting 7 days of blogging and blog-hopping. I hope you had as much fun as I did! 

*Today's prompt: Promise to (yourself /someone else).

*Team Orange Tango. 



Comments

  1. Aww! Self love is of utmost importance and priority too, Shilpa. May you be able to keep your promise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sid! Yes, I will see to it that I keep my promise to myself! ;)

      Delete
  2. That is the best promise to make, Shilpa. Truly! I hope you can keep it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, Rachna! It's taken me so long to realise this fact.

      Delete
  3. Loving yourself is most important. How hard is it to put into practice in a country which teaches its woman to keep everyone else interests above self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Ls. It's one thing our mothers have done it all these years and continue to do it even today. But, we ought to begin making some changes now; it's high time we thought about ourselves first!

      Delete
  4. Happy friendship day, Shilpa. Friends are our strength and makes us grow in life:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy friendship day to you, too, Vishal! I wonder what we would do without our friends! :)

      Delete
  5. Happy friendship day to your friend and you Shilpa! I completely agree to the fact that we are our own best friends. The more we take care of ourselves, the more we give our best to others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said Shilpa. We need to show more compassion to ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Tulika! And, if we don't, who will?

      Delete
  7. Very very true, Shilpa. Our happiness really only depends on us. No one else. Once we stop seeking happiness from external sources, I guess we will be happier all around.

    A very happy friendship's day to you, dearie. Knowing you (even virtually) has been enriching and wonderful. I hope to meet you in person, once I get to Mumbai.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shantala! It has been wonderful knowing you! How I would love to meet you some day - in the real world! :)

      Delete
  8. We have to live with ourselves, fabulous way to put this crucial point across :) Nobody knows us better than us, so let us be our best friends for life. Love your thought process, happy friendship day and happy writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sulekha! :)
      Happy friendship day and happy writing to you, too!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful promise post Shilpa :) So crucial to one's well-being and so often relegated to the lower end of our priorities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We ought to make ourselves a priority, Sunila, before it's too late!

      Delete
  10. I am glad you've made this promise to yourself! Hope you'll keep it! Much love and hugs! Great series with thought-provoking, heartfelt posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kala, I am definitely going to keep this promise! For myself!
      Thanks so much!
      Hugs!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…

The motherhood challenge.

A  few days ago, a dear friend of mine wrote a touching post disapproving the 'motherhood challenge' that has been going viral on Facebook. Motherhood challenge is all about women posting pictures with their children and tagging other women, who according to them, are 'awesome mothers'. But, my friend felt that by adding the words challenge and dare,  they were drawing a divide between themselves and others who weren't blessed enough.  I was touched by her views that defended women who might feel marginalised by such a challenge, although that might not be the motive behind it at all.
          Wonder how many women would feel the way my friend did! How many of the 'blessed ones' try and understand that behind such decisions might lie a reason, a helplessness that gives a woman endless pain? We haven't chosen to stay childless because of a lack of fondness for children. There were reasons and circumstances that stood in the way of us holdin…