Skip to main content

The cookie thief.

     Now, I know you all must be wondering if this is the second part of my post, Paranormal Activity! But, calm down. It isn't! This is another kind of activity I am writing about.

     So, one night, as sleep evaded me, I sat reading a book - a cook book by Nigella Lawson. And, I don't need to tell you what an effect a  Nigella Lawson cook book can have on your taste buds and on your belly, do I? Yes, I began hearing that rumbling sound the moment my eyes fell on the cake in front of me.  So, to pacify the belly, I went to the kitchen and chose my favourite choco chip cookies from that jar I told you about. Remember, my cookie jar?
    I placed the  cookies by my side and continued reading. I would pick a cookie to munch on as I read a page. Soon, I was  immersed in the cake recipe I was drooling over. My eyes glued to the book, my hand busy picking the cookies and my tongue enjoying all that chocolatey sin.
    So engrossed was I in this entire drama, that I didn't even notice when some cookies had vanished from my plate. The sudden realisation that  I had run out of my  fuel, prompted me  to turn and look at the empty plate. I stared at it and tried recollecting how many cookies I had gobbled up. Counting back the pages I had finished reading, I realised I had read three pages, so that meant I had eaten only three cookies. So, where had the remaining three cookies vanished?
    Fear engulfed me as I recalled the  case of the open cookie jar. However, common sense prevailed and I chided myself for letting my imagination run riot. I got off the sofa slowly and turned to scan the room. There was no one around, except Chikoo, who had been sitting by my feet.
   I tried racking my brains to no avail. The cookies had definitely disappeared and the thief had to be somewhere around. My interest in Ms. Lawson's recipe vanished for good. I had to catch hold of this cookie thief! How dare he steal from my plate? I never shared such stuff with anybody, and I was not going to share it with this thief either! I  went back to the kitchen and brought  six more cookies. This time I made sure I counted them correctly. I placed those cookies in the plate by my side and began pretending to read the book.
   Soon enough, I sensed some activity beginning to take place around me. I stared at the pages in front of me as I tried visualising what or who it could be who had the audacity to steal my cookies. I will confess I was scared, what with it being the dead of the night and me being all by myself. But, I shooed away the fear and sat still, breathing as evenly as I could. Slowly, I moved my gaze away from the book and turned my head towards my plate. And, what do I see?
   The doddery old man who complained of joint pain was standing by the table, noiselessly pulling a cookie off the plate with his tongue! I stared at him open-mouthed as he  stood with a guilty look in is eyes and a cookie in his mouth.
    "Chikoo! You shameless brat!" I hissed in anger as I caught the thief red-handed. Instantly, he gulped the entire cookie and sauntered towards the bedroom, his  tail wagging joyfully.

     I sat there aghast!  My Chikoo, who had been having difficulty standing up by himself because of his arthritis, had stood up unaided, lifted those cookies off the plate and wolfed those down so quietly, I hadn't picked up a single sound! That thief! I chuckled as I rewinded the entire scene as it must have taken place and my heart swelled with pride! Yes! My old chap, who frightened me with his whines when his pain got unbearable, had used every ounce of his will-power to stand up, grab his favourite cookies and walk off to  the bedroom, all on his own!

   I blew him a flying kiss as he peeped from the bedroom to check if I was following him. A hundred cookies I would share with him, if that was all that took him to get moving all over again!

 

 *I am participating in the Bar-a-thon at Blog-a-rhythm, for an exciting 7 days of blogging and blog-hopping. Do join us with your posts and have a thrilling week! 

*Today's prompt: Caught red-handed.  

*Member of Team Orange Tango.






Comments

  1. Haha! This reminded me of a comment that you had made on one of my statuses a while back.
    May your darling continue to move and groove.
    But maybe a 100 cookies are too much ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, yes, Sid, I agree. A 100 cookies is too much, but, I am just saying, you know? I don't mean it! ;D

      Delete
  2. Yes, I did think it was a continuation of your paranormal post and it could have been if you had not caught the thief red-handed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Carol. Thank god I caught the thief, else the fear would have stayed in my mind for an eternity..:)

      Delete
  3. Lol.. Shilpa you reminded me of Joey from friends "Joey doest share his food!' As for your thief I could have hugged him in utter relief. Cookies in the middle of the night now sound like a scary thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tulika, I AM a bit like Joey there. I find it too difficult to share my food!
      And, no, cookies aren't scary, really. You could try it out yourself. Whenever you find sleep evading you, just reach for that cookie jar and think about my Chikoo. You will get that warm, lovey-dovey feeling, which I get. Do it! ;D

      Delete
  4. awww the cute old fella, Bibble sends him a hi-five and bows to this veterans superior skills ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...A high five to baby Bibble from oldie Chikoo! <3

      Delete
  5. Aww! How sweet! Why should you have all the fun, I mean cookies? :D
    Give Chikoo a cookie from my side today, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shilpa, Chikoo sends a grateful hug to you for that cookie! :) <3

      Delete
  6. What a smart fellow he is! Super Chikoo :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful post and yes watching some so close to your heart do something beyond their scope is worth all the cookies!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww..such a cute post. Glad it was only Chikoo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh, good boy Chikoo! I can imagine how scared you must have felt on seeing the cookies disappear! Glad Chikoo still has that playfulness and enthusiasm in him to make away with his favorite cookies! Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful post that brought tears to my eyes. Chikoo does love his cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hahahaha they can be so sneaky at times :D I have been through that :D Chikoo is adorable :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is quite poignant this one. I can feel the sorrow in those last sentences... I know what you mean. If it would rid him of that arthritis and he would be freely frolicking again, we would share all our food with them

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun post about the cookie thief! Go, Chikoo! Glad it got him up and moving but take it easy on the cookies, old boy. I know how tempting they can be!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww.. So cute. I saw that coming, Chikkoo being the theif :P
    You take care of him and yourself girl! And this story was wonderful!

    Cheers
    Geets

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, the power of motivation! Hugs to your Chikoo! May he be his usual active self soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…

The motherhood challenge.

A  few days ago, a dear friend of mine wrote a touching post disapproving the 'motherhood challenge' that has been going viral on Facebook. Motherhood challenge is all about women posting pictures with their children and tagging other women, who according to them, are 'awesome mothers'. But, my friend felt that by adding the words challenge and dare,  they were drawing a divide between themselves and others who weren't blessed enough.  I was touched by her views that defended women who might feel marginalised by such a challenge, although that might not be the motive behind it at all.
          Wonder how many women would feel the way my friend did! How many of the 'blessed ones' try and understand that behind such decisions might lie a reason, a helplessness that gives a woman endless pain? We haven't chosen to stay childless because of a lack of fondness for children. There were reasons and circumstances that stood in the way of us holdin…