Skip to main content

How I fell in love with myself.

              Do you love yourself? I mean, do you really love yourself, flaws and all? I am sure there  have been countless moments when you must have cringed at the sight you saw in the mirror, or when you spotted a yummy mummy sashaying past you at the mall. It's okay, confess you felt this way. We all do! None of us, okay, there may be some exceptions, so let me say, most of us are rarely happy with ourselves - our bodies, our physical appearances, our looks, take your pick.
         How we rue the fact that once we step into our thirties, we lose our charm! Bulging bellies, thundering thighs, love handles get labelled as "permanent accessories". Our husbands add to our distress by comparing us to "that curvy hottie" who seems to be blessed with some special anti-ageing genes. Yes, most of the husbands do! And, where does that lead us? To the gym, or the dietician. Swearing off this foodstuff and that, sweating it out at the gymnasium and worrying ourselves silly over the weighing machine become the new trends of our life.
          My story is, albeit, a tad different. I was  a skinny child, a skinny teenager and a skinny married woman till the recent past. "Skinny' has been the adjective used to describe me by the others. Being skinny was okay in my teen years. But, after getting married and not putting on an ounce was a cause for concern - for the others, of course! Life and its realities also took a toll on me and I became skinnier. A mere 45 kilos was what the weighing machine showed for quite a many years. The number of taunts grew("Doesn't your husband feed you ?" They asked) and anything and everything I tried to help my body gain some weight, failed miserably.
          To be frank, I did NOT like what I saw in the mirror. All I saw was skin and bones, sunken eyes and a skeleton staring back at me, pitifully. Yes, there were rare occasions when the lighting would help in hiding the flaws, but, I couldn't possibly carry that light around with me, could I?  I did put on some respectable amount of weight in the last few years, but just putting on weight was not what I wanted. I wanted to be fit and healthy. So, last year,  I enrolled in a Yoga class and also began making some subtle changes in my diet. Earlier, because of my inability to gain weight, I would eat anything I could lay my hands on. Not anymore. I do eat the occasional pizza and pasta, but otherwise I have been eating intelligently and exercising  consistently. And now, after a year, well, my hard work seems to have paid off!
       Each time I look in the mirror, I fall in love with myself. I have grown into Lady Narcissus! But, seriously, it feels good from within. The aches and pains  due to the cervical and lumbar spondylosis have disappeared. My body looks visibly toned and has become a lot flexible and healthier.
       However, I being a homemaker, could find time for myself. But, asking the working woman to give an hour to herself, is sure going to get me some exasperated looks! Finding even five minutes to pee in peace is like finding heaven for them! I know. But, if not an hour in the morning, maybe you could devote half an hour at night, or fifteen minutes, for a walk post dinner. That makes a lot of difference, too. Also, making healthy changes in the diet will help. Eating locally available fruits and veggies, and including  all the essential food groups (including  ghee for the necessary fats - it works wonders on our entire system!) in your daily diet will take care of your insides. Basically, we need to work on the inside, to get  the desired results on the outside. 
       It's how we feel from within that makes all the difference. If you are healthy from within, it will show. We women seldom give our bodies the respect they deserve. We only look at what appears to us, but never at what lies beneath. Our bodies have stood us in good stead through all the high and lows we have been through. Seldom do they complain about the gross neglect they undergo because of us. And, after we cross a certain age and our bodies grow tired of being ignored, we begin complaining!
      It's easier for me to say so because I am on the leaner side, but loving yourselves and your bodies the way they are, will make a lot of difference to your morale. Trust me. Forget the film actresses and the yummy mummies who do a thousand things to look like the million bucks  they do. It's you who are managing a thousand things in your life that matter to your people! It is a reason to be  proud of yourselves  that you are bringing up your kids fabulously, managing a career and your home with such efficiency, you could put those yummy mummies to shame!
      I could go on and on, but am worried you might never visit my blog again! So, my dear women, remember that you are magnificent beings, beautiful and charming, sexy and hot. All you need to do is take a little bit more care of yourself in every little way you can, and believe that you are amazing; the rest will fall into place. That's what I have been doing. It isn't easy, but who said anything is easy? It's a tough life, a tough business looking like a billion bucks, but it is also tough doing the job that you are doing and that is what you must be proud of. You will definitely fall head over in heels in love with yourselves. Trust me!





        

Comments

  1. I have had many years of not liking myself. When I say many years, over a decade. So, now I am in a place when I really like myself the way I am. Yes, trying to stay fit is part of game but I enjoy my walks or yoga days.
    So glad you feel that way and thank you for those inspiring words for women out there including me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so important that we love ourselves the way we are, Parul. That is the only thing that will help us feel better; expecting others to love us, if we don't do so ourselves, will not take us anywhere. And, the easiest way to achieve this is to stop comparing ourselves with others. I am glad you fell in love with yourself, too! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On love and attachments.

Learning to live without the person whom we loved more than our life is one of the toughest things we humans experience during our life.
Almost every moment of our day we spend in their shadows, enveloped in their love; we don't even realise when they became an extension of our selves. We come to accept them along with their flaws, their peculiarities, which often have the potential to drain us of our patience. Yet, we love them, unconditionally, at times wondering how we survived before they entered our world. Often, we also wonder how we will ever survive after they leave our world.

The human mind is such.  Its ability to give birth to a thought and then mull over it however unpleasant it may be, is quite baffling! We realise we stand to lose our sanity if we don't get rid of that negative thought; we understand how important it is to live in the moment and enjoy it with the loved ones we fear losing someday, yet we keep worrying ourselves to death about what would happen t…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

A pleasant surprise.

Life does that. Springs surprises when you are least expecting any. And  you are left baffled, overwhelmed, ecstatic, and, surprised, too! You find it unbelievable that such a thing could happen with you. And, it takes a lot of probing and analysing to finally accept that something this unimaginable could happen to you, too!

              The above emotions are  what I went through when I received a message from the Manager of Baggout that my blog had been selected as one of the 15 best love and relationships blogs in India. I must have read the message 5 times and still found it unbelievable. In fact, I thought someone was playing a prank. I made enquiries, tried finding out all about Baggout and went back to where I was - in a state of utter disbelief! Call it low self esteem if you wish, but I wondered how  anyone could find my one and a half year old blog worthy of any such mention.

        The feeling was  good, nay, great. But, unless I saw it all in black and w…