Skip to main content

We, the caterpillars.

           
                                              God changes a caterpillar into a butterfly
                                               sand into pearls
                                              and coal into diamonds
                                               using time and pressure.
                                               He's working on you, too!
              

Human beings are ever-changing. Our future will not see even a shadow of our former selves. We change, transform, evolve into a different version of ourselves. We get better or bitter, fearful or stronger, all because of the battles we fight all along this journey called life.  So, can we take it as "we are creating ourselves?" Or, is it our life which is bringing about that change, that transformation?

I like to believe it's life, the people we meet in  our life and the various circumstances we go through that are responsible for the changes we undergo. Life teaches us lessons when we are  busy grumbling about our circumstances. But, the most observant among us catch the subtle signals life gives us from time to time, and bring about the necessary changes in themselves. In that, they create  themselves. The transformation may be conscious, or even unconscious, but a transformation does take place.

Until the recent past, I was a very different person. The ups and downs that I had been through, had changed me from a carefree, cheerful person to an edgy and a timid person I so disliked! But, unbeknownst to myself, I had also changed into a much more understanding, empathetic person - something I so admired!  It felt good that I could feel the pain of others, gauge their situations and assist them accordingly.

Did I create myself thus? Or, did life do it for me? Did I evolve through my circumstances, through the stress and the pressure, and come out of it shining brighter than I ever did? It was not consciously undertaken - this transformation. It just happened. And, I feel good  that it did! I really can't take credit for this change in me, for,  I can see Life smiling at me with a twinkle in her eyes, as if teasing me for being, err, arrogant!

We pass through tough situations, deal with adversities, stumble and fall a hundred times, hurting ourselves in the process. Yet, we also get back up on our feet, dust ourselves and keep moving ahead, a lot wiser than we were, about life and people. We learn our lessons, keep ourselves from making the same mistakes and learn to make better decisions and judgements. We also become a lot more calmer and mellow as well as considerate about our fellow beings. We do transform into the most beautiful version of ourselves - the ones we were supposed to be!

How did we do it?  Did we create ourselves? we wonder. Or, did we just come to be this magnificent version of ourselves?  Whatever it may be, the fact remains that we change, we evolve, we metamorphose, we transform, call it what you like. But,  we - the  caterpillars - do turn into the most vibrant, most beautiful of butterflies we were meant to be!


*Today's post has been written for  Friday Reflections at  Write Tribe. 
Today's  prompt: "Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." by George Bernard Shaw. 



Living my Imperfect Life

Comments

  1. Yes some people turn into butterflies and some remain a larvae (in their own egos) :-)

    PhenoMenon
    http://phenomenal-cuisines.throodalookingglass.com/lost-in-flavors-coringa/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am so much in mommy mode that the post title reminded me of my lit one's current fab book - a hungry caterpillar ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We definitely change with time. Situations change us, people change us, life changes us. As long as we are evolving into better beings, it is all for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree we change as we grow and with the experiences we have and people we meet. I like the analogy of the caterpillar turning into a butterfly

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On love and attachments.

Learning to live without the person whom we loved more than our life is one of the toughest things we humans experience during our life.
Almost every moment of our day we spend in their shadows, enveloped in their love; we don't even realise when they became an extension of our selves. We come to accept them along with their flaws, their peculiarities, which often have the potential to drain us of our patience. Yet, we love them, unconditionally, at times wondering how we survived before they entered our world. Often, we also wonder how we will ever survive after they leave our world.

The human mind is such.  Its ability to give birth to a thought and then mull over it however unpleasant it may be, is quite baffling! We realise we stand to lose our sanity if we don't get rid of that negative thought; we understand how important it is to live in the moment and enjoy it with the loved ones we fear losing someday, yet we keep worrying ourselves to death about what would happen t…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…