Skip to main content

Movie character I would like to play #TadkaTuesday

    Dance is a hobby for some, but for some, it's a passion that runs through their veins, through every single cell in their body, bringing them alive like nothing else ever can!

    The very first time I saw, Shall we dance?, I was swept off my feet! The music, the various dance forms, and the actors for whom dance was akin to breathing, simply took my breath away! I may have seen it about ten times, already, but I am waiting with bated breath to watch it  all over again when it gets aired this Sunday, 20th November, on Romedy! Ah, that's how crazy I am about the movie, I could shout about it from the roof tops, urging every one to watch it along with me!

     But, amongst all the artists in the movie, the one who caught my eye, and my heart, was Paulina, played by Jennifer Lopez. the sincere and hard-working dance teacher who unknowingly entices the hero of the film, Richard Gere, into enrolling for the dance class. She also enticed me into believing that I could learn to salsa, or do the tango if I set my heart on it! She is the one for whom dance was a passion, a religion, a way of life!

    For someone who has learnt the Indian Classical dance for more than a decade, for someone who gave it all up when life intervened, thinking about dancing to a foreign music was unthinkable. But, Paulina did it, to me, for me! Ever since I have seen the movie, I have fantasised being her. I have secretly played her, dancing as effortlessly, as beautifully as her.

    The grace with which she tutors her students, be they the extremely handsome Mr. Clark (played by Richard Gere), or the clumsy, but sincere, Vern (played by Omar Miller), she enthrals them with her every move, every turn! I am a die-hard fan of Richard Gere's, (well, who isn't? ) but, when Paulina enters the scene, my eyes don't leave her for a second. Frankly, that's who I would love to be - the scene-stealer!

    The tango she performs with Mr. Clark the evening before their big dance competition to prep him up, is a number I would love to dance to! In fact, when I am home alone, I play it on YouTube and watch mesmerised as they whirl and twirl to the music. I imagine I am Paulina and my body moves to the beat, albeit not as gracefully as hers.  But, I come alive, in the same way that she asks Mr. Clark to be. At  the end of the song, their faces glistening with sweat, their hearts thumping with unbridled joy, she pants, "Be this alive! Be this alive, tomorrow!"
 
   She moves on the dance floor as if she moves on ice - she glides! And, when she dances, she becomes oblivious to the world around her. She is just into  dance mode. That is the passion with which I watch her move, with which I move with the music, in my mind, in my heart.

   If and when life allows me to indulge some of my fantasies, I would love to learn to tango  and dance to the number that sets my heart racing. Until then, I'll keep watching, no, gaping at Paulina and dancing in my dreams!

 
  Which movie character would you like to play? 


  With Love

   SHILPA...




*This post has been written for #TadkaTuesday.


Featured blogger for this post on TT!






Comments

  1. Though I have 2 left feet, I love watching people dance. Havent seen this movie and after reading your post, I am keen to watch it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do watch it, Shilpa! You will love it! :)

      Delete
  2. Dance is meditation for me. It is a supreme form of detox and learning any form of dance is possible at any age, the key is sincerity towards learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Karan! Learning anything at any age is possible, all it needs is sincerity and the passion, the drive to make it! :)
      Thank you for visiting!

      Delete
  3. You would make a good Paulina :)

    What character I'd like to play? Gosh, I have a list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you, Soumya! It sure will take me time to get into Paulina's shoes, for I will first need to lose my inhibitions. But, I will do it, for sure! ;)

      Delete
  4. This was my favourite movie too and my heart couldn't stop pounding when Richard Gere came up the escalator with roses in his hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my my! Yes, Richard Gere with the rose, coming up the escalator! I always wish I had been Susan Sarandon, too! :)

      Delete
  5. Aha! Now that was interesting. Seriously, I would like to play some kickass woman character. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine you playing a kickass woman character ONLY, Rachna! Because, even if we haven't met, I have imagined you to be this strong, fearless kinda girl who gives two hoots to what others think about anything she does! :) <3

      Delete
  6. I am a trained latin dancer (not as great as JLo), and all dance movies capture my attention like nothing else. How much fun it will be to dance and glide like them. And I agree very few people don't love Richard Gere. Thank You for participating Shilpa with such a lovely post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy! Jaibala, now THAT'S news to me! You are a trained latin dancer? What other feathers do you have in your cap, girl? But, yes, once you learn any kind of dance form, its the only thing that catches your attention in a movie, whether you know the particular dance form or no.
      Thank you for giving me TadkaTuesday...it was FUN!

      Delete
  7. Dancing is my passion and to follow this passion I take dance classes for kids and ladies. And I also loved 'Shall we dance?' Paulina does have that kind of effect on you. Now I am thinking, 'How come I didn't think of this character before? :) Thanks for writing for #TadkaTuesday. Loved your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's terrific, Deepa!
      Thank you for the visit! And, thank you for TadkaTuesday! I enjoyed writing this post! :)

      Delete
  8. Oh, Shilpa! Ohhhhh! I love the movie and JLo's character is etched in my heart. I so want to watch this movie again. NOW! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do watch it then, Shalini...it's on Romedy this Sunday, at 9 pm! :)
      And, dance awayyy...! <3

      Delete
  9. Oo-la-la! J'lo aka Shilpa!! Yess, that would be a dream role to slip into, so sensuous and graceful! And of course it wouldn't hurt to play against Gere!! I love this movie too Shilpa, good choice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, thanks, Kala! Just imagining being JLo, dancing with THE Richard Gere gives me goosebumps!

      Delete
  10. Paulina...really?
    That's an interesting choice.
    I might need to watch the movie again, but this time I promise to picture you with Gere :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaahhhh! Sid, you made my day! I have always fantasised it - sharing the screen with the unbelievably handsome Mr. Gere! I feel so dizzy just imagining it! ;P

      Delete
  11. Go for it, Shilpa! Enroll for a dance class! Your love and passion, along with a sprinkling of longing, for the dance form comes through in the beautifully written post:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, DA! Yes, the plan to join a dance class is quite on top of my to-do list. Let's see when it materialises!
      Thank you for the visit! <3

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The motherhood challenge.

            A  few days ago, a dear friend of mine wrote a touching post disapproving the 'motherhood challenge' that has been going viral on Facebook. Motherhood challenge is all about women posting pictures with their children and tagging other women, who according to them, are 'awesome mothers'. But, my friend felt that by adding the words challenge and dare,  they were drawing a divide between themselves and others who weren't blessed enough.  I was touched by her views that defended women who might feel marginalised by such a challenge, although that might not be the motive behind it at all.
          Wonder how many women would feel the way my friend did! How many of the 'blessed ones' try and understand that behind such decisions might lie a reason, a helplessness that gives a woman endless pain? We haven't chosen to stay childless because of a lack of fondness for children. There were reasons and circumstances that stood in the way of us holdin…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…