Skip to main content

The Gratitude Post.

 *Participating in the November Gratitude Circle Blog hop at Vidya Sury, Collecting Smiles.


  This is my very first gratitude post on the blog. Not that I am not grateful for all that life has blessed me with. I am thankful for all that happened - the good and the not-so-good - especially the not-so-good. I wouldn't have turned out the way I did had it not been for 'those' moments.

  This Gratitude post is going to be a short one expressing gratitude to my Creator for creating me the way He did. I often rue the fact that I was made so sensitive and sentimental and not the rough, aggressive type that today's world requires one to be. I am  known to be the passive, submissive kind; I cringe when described thus. There are times and situations that call for me to be the aggressive type (which I can so not be, even if I tried!); situations when I, sadly, let myself down by being the exact opposite. But, on hindsight, I am so grateful that I am not the sort of person who would make others uncomfortable by their mere presence!

  Couple days ago, I came face to face with such a person who embodies the autocracy and aggression people shudder to face.  I had the misfortune of meeting this person, who, I wished, would help reduce the difficulty my Chikoo faces due to his ailment. To say she was arrogant, would be an understatement. She was loud, aggressive, dominating, condescending - in fact, all of that, that makes me so uneasy, it makes me want to run for cover!
  An hour at her clinic and I was ready to grab Chikoo and flee. Thankfully, hubby too agreed with my views of Lady Hitler and it was decided that we would be continuing with the homoeopathy treatment for Chikoo and just make life as comfortable for him as possible. And, that we would never  be visiting her clinic, ever again!

  How grateful I am that  I was not born so mean and cruel as to make people squirm nervously in my presence. How grateful I am that I was manufactured the way I was, at least I don't carry the guilt of having hurt people's sentiments with my harsh words and nasty behaviour. I may have hurt sentiments and I do feel guilty for the same - my apologies to all those I hurt unknowingly -  but I am hoping my words don't leave permanent scars on their hearts and that they are able to forgive and forget!

   Kindness and compassion is a quality we all need to develop in order to give happiness to people who come our way.  You never know the kind of impact your words and deeds can have on people. An overbearing attitude is not only going to leave people exhausted, it will also keep them away from us. What good will that do? We need people in our lives for the simple reason that we are  social beings. Harshness and autocracy will only leave us with none  by our side in time of need.  Don't you agree?


Have you ever come across someone you would rather stay away from thanks to their rudeness, their tyranny? How did you/do you deal with such people? Do share with me. It would be of tremendous help for me in the future!

With Love

SHILPA...

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Shilpa Gupte-
      It was quite an experience, Rachna, one that I would not like to have again!Phew!
      Yes, we are keeping Chikoo as comfortable as we can! Thanks my dear! <3


      Delete
    3. Rachna-
      Sorry that you had to go through that experience, Shilpa. Yes, l've been in the company of such people, strangely a doctor again. The husband and l decided to never visit him again. He treated us like school kids. Sorry to hear about Chikoo. Just keep him as comfortable as you can.

      Delete
    4. Shilpa Gupte-
      It was quite an experience, Rachna, one that I would not like to have again!Phew!
      Yes, we are keeping Chikoo as comfortable as we can! Thanks my dear! <3

      Delete
    5. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    6. Rachna-
      Sorry that you had to go through that experience, Shilpa. Yes, l've been in the company of such people, strangely a doctor again. The husband and l decided to never visit him again. He treated us like school kids. Sorry to hear about Chikoo. Just keep him as comfortable as you can.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Parul-
      Sorry to hear that. Sometimes doctors in the spirit to being very open come across as rude and yes, I have met a few like them. Good you did what was best for Chikoo. Hugs!

      Delete
    3. Oh yes, Parul, it happens. But, I wish doctors could be a little more empathetic and try to understand the patients better.
      <3

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Tina Basu-
      I hope your baby get well soon. I have faced so many of these doctors that I have started blatantly telling them - please stop giving unnecessary advise! It is very important that you give a piece of your mind these days.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Kala Ravi-
      Indeed Shilpa, I am glad you are just the way you are, sweet, kind and so understanding! What a sad experience, especially with someone handling mute creatures! Imagine how they would be to fellow beings. Life is all about small pleasures and victories isn't it? You make all that possible with your amiable ways! Love and hugs :)

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aarti-
      Hi there, came over from Shylaja's blog... Nice one and yes there are one or two who i steer clear of just cos of their personality [these are typically whiny, complains all the time, quite negative of even things that are positive]...

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eli Ert-
      Oh yes, my dear Shilpa- I have certainly come across some mean people over the years.... But as older as I get, the easier I think it is to just ... erase them... kind of... and concentrate on allthe kind gentle souls I have come across - you being one of them. Grateful that our paths crossed on the blogosphere my sweet friend. Huuugs

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…

The motherhood challenge.

A  few days ago, a dear friend of mine wrote a touching post disapproving the 'motherhood challenge' that has been going viral on Facebook. Motherhood challenge is all about women posting pictures with their children and tagging other women, who according to them, are 'awesome mothers'. But, my friend felt that by adding the words challenge and dare,  they were drawing a divide between themselves and others who weren't blessed enough.  I was touched by her views that defended women who might feel marginalised by such a challenge, although that might not be the motive behind it at all.
          Wonder how many women would feel the way my friend did! How many of the 'blessed ones' try and understand that behind such decisions might lie a reason, a helplessness that gives a woman endless pain? We haven't chosen to stay childless because of a lack of fondness for children. There were reasons and circumstances that stood in the way of us holdin…