Skip to main content

How 'bout a coffee break?



           It's the end of the week and here I am,  my coffee  mug in hand, all set to have our weekly tete-a-tete!

         So, how was your week? I hope it was  peaceful and pleasant, in spite of all the chaos that is going on out there in the world. My week was...umm...very productive, if I may say so. I prepared couple of  sketches for Mr. Bossy Pants (you all know who he is, don't you? For those who don't, well, he is my sweetheart! 😉),  typed a post in the wee hours of Tuesday morning on lessons life taught me.   I also read some amazing posts by fellow bloggers: Roshan Radhakrishnan, Shailaja V.,  Nabanita Dhar, ,Rachna Parmar,   Darshana Suresh . Do visit them. They are  accomplished writers and I am positive their writing will leave a lasting impression on your heart and your mind!

   
       Mind..hmm..that reminds me, I have been wondering about this complex thing gifted by God.  I often wonder in awe at its creation and  everything that went into its making. Your entire life, your thoughts, memories and emotions and YOU,  stem from this one thing. It's our heart that keeps us alive, but, it's our mind that works on how we use our being alive!  It's what plays a major role in how we shape up as human beings, how we shape our lives!

     It's one thing which, if you lose control of, takes over the power and complete control over you. No wonder the wise keep teaching us to rule our mind with an iron hand and never let loose the reins, lest it drags us into an endless chasm of darkness and despair.

    It's been some weeks now since I have been getting the blues; it may be because of all the hormones playing hide-n-seek inside my system. It's all to do with age, I know. The 40s can sure be full of testing times!  Earlier, I would rant and mope, all day long and the next morning wake up with a cheery smile! Strange, no? But, this time, I have decided to take control of things and keep my mind under observation. I am a work in progress! 😜


    No sooner do I feel like I am 'losing it', I try and change my thought process. I visit Whatsapp, read some inane jokes that get circulated widely, have a hearty laugh and feel better instantly. There are good days, too, when I am in a buoyant mood and in total control of every thing.  But, the  days  when my sunny disposition goes into hibernation  are the days that are exhausting.  Those are the times when I need to work harder to control my mind. It is such a task doing that, you know? But, it's what we feed our mind that reflects in our actions, is what I have heard often, and what I am trying to work on.

   I came across some very helpful quotes on Facebook and found them inspiring and enlightening, Sharing them here with you. I know, we all need such reminders, such motivation, time and time again! It takes practise to get better at things. And, I have heard that to get habituated to a certain thing, one needs to practise doing it for 21 consecutive days. Phew! That's such a long time. But, try it we must, for practise makes perfect. And, we really need to perfect the art of keeping negativity at bay.



     So, I am going to try practising being positive as much as I can. Of course, negativity is but a natural feeling that makes us human, so it will definitely make an appearance every once in a while. But, to not allow it to get the better of me, I will need to work doubly hard, starting TODAY! I intend to write a post on how it helped me to stick to this resolution in about 21 days. I hope I do well and don't let myself  down.
Practicing mindfulness will definitely help! 
 
    That's all for this week. It was a relief sharing my thoughts with you. You are such a patient listener. And, I know how much I need such a listener. We all do, don't we?

Oh, I have to mention - I love these pretty emojis which I can now insert into my posts. How we have gotten used to these! What did we do when these hadn't come into being? Haan?



 Until next week...Take care, cos I care! 💖

  Feel free to share your thoughts with me. I am a good listener (so says my bff!). Do share with me how you keep those nasty blues at bay. Also share how you abolish those frightful thoughts that threaten to steal your peace of mind.

   With Love

   SHILPA...


   

     
   

Comments

  1. Stay positive! things can only get better.And as for those hormones.... ignore them. From someone who's crossed that line a loooooong time ago, I'd say these days also pass and quickly enough.
    Meet up with old friends who make you laugh, watch a chic flick, go to the beauty parlour or just have a brisk walk... my remedy for a blue day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much, BB! I agree, those hormones need to be ignored big time, because the more we pamper them the more they torture us with their inflated egos! :P
      I am being positive nowadays and it feels great! And, yes, I agree with the chick flick and parlour visits cheering you up instantly!
      Thank you for your lovely suggestions! <3

      Delete
  2. Being positive in times of adversities needs to be the motto to be followed. It is tough at times, but I have found it helpful enough to let me past the hurdle most of the times. I hope you start to feel better soon. And yes, writing helps too. Keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Maliny, I am being positive now, giving myself pep talks every time I feel I am slipping into the blue moods. And, my writing is keeping me occupied, so it does feel better. Now, I only need to make it a habit!
      Thank you for your suggestions, Mqliny! <3

      Delete
  3. Hey Shilpa! Banish those blues babe! You are too sweet to ponder on those! I beat the blues by just going out, prettying up and of course being a shopoholic, retail therapy does the trick for me! And yes I agree, you are a good listener my dear :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kala, I know, and I agree I need to indulge in it all, too! Let's meet up some day and chat our blues away!
      Thank you, sweetie! <3

      Delete
  4. Thank you, my dear, for the mention among with some lovely names. You know l am facing the same hormonal issues since a few years. Have you consulted a doctor? They will give you something to help and meditation helps. Your method is good too. ☺️ Fun having this coffee with Shilpa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachna, I am planning on consulting a homoeopathy doctor, because I totally trust homoeo treatment. There are no side effects and they work on the root cause of the problem, which solves all the other problems in turn!
      I think you too should give it a try. I will keep you posted on my progress.
      Thank you for the suggestion, dearie! <3

      Delete
  5. I must admit, as a cynic, I do find positivity hard. However, looking for silver linings is a good way to start changing our negative mindset and it's something I'm trying hard at as well. At the end of the day, we are most critical about ourselves. If you're interested there is a lot of work out there recently on self-compassion. It might interest you. Btw, I didn't know you were in your 40s! I assumed you were in your early 30s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Sanch, I know how critical I am about myself. However, it's been some time since I am really working hard on being and thinking positively, not just about life, but about myself, too. And, it's helping, bit by bit. Just need to make it into a habit and I will be better! :)
      And, thank you for the compliments! I am 43, but I feel like a 20 year old from within! :P

      Delete
  6. These positive quotes are peppy and empowering to fight negativity that creeps from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely quotes and positivity is the key to stay calm and happy. I loved these posts of yours. They are a lovely sneak peek in your world. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I am glad you liked the post and the quotes, Parul! :)
      Be positive! :)

      Delete
  8. At times it is difficult to stay positive but we must try as much as possible! And I'm sure you will feel better soon. And I loved the quotes that you shared here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH yes, Reema. It sure is difficult to stay positive all the time, but that's the best we can do, isn't it?
      Thank you for visiting! :)

      Delete
  9. We all go through such phases from time to time. But the trick is to break the chains of negative thoughts and energies, and not let ourselves sink into it. I like the way you are diverting yourself, that's a good strategy. I hope you get to do the Vipaasana course sometimes soon, Shilpa. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shilpa! I wanted to try writing the coffee post in a different style.
      And, yes, I want to do that Vipaasana course some day soon! Keeping fingers crossed! :)
      <3

      Delete
  10. I was suffering from the blues last weekend and didn't feel like doing anything... I hate those times and hope they drag you down. My husband dragged me to the swimming pool and within an hour i was back to my happy self. Mind is like a child... It needs to be distracted when it starts behaving like a cranky kid. Loved the quotes... Specially the last one... I hope your blues are gone by now... And hope no negative thought clouded your mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mind sure is like a child, Raj. And keeping that child busy with positive thoughts is the only solution to all our problems!
      Yes, my blues are on their way out....for good, I hope! :P
      Thank you, Raj! <3

      Delete
  11. Blame it on age or hormones.. whatever it may be... But hang on there Shilpa. I know its easier to say it. But talking about the complex mind, positives vibes sure can be sent even virtually pepping up the mind. So here is more to you feeling positive!!! And glad you do those awesome sketches. They are a great way to beat stress, negativity and a general low feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Ramya. Positive vibes can be sent virtually, too. And, that's why, after reading all these encouraging comments, I am feeling much better. Your words are giving me the strength to keep working on myself.
      Yes, my sketches keep me sane, as do blogging and reading. Thank god for that!
      Thank you, dear friend! <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On love and attachments.

Learning to live without the person whom we loved more than our life is one of the toughest things we humans experience during our life.
Almost every moment of our day we spend in their shadows, enveloped in their love; we don't even realise when they became an extension of our selves. We come to accept them along with their flaws, their peculiarities, which often have the potential to drain us of our patience. Yet, we love them, unconditionally, at times wondering how we survived before they entered our world. Often, we also wonder how we will ever survive after they leave our world.

The human mind is such.  Its ability to give birth to a thought and then mull over it however unpleasant it may be, is quite baffling! We realise we stand to lose our sanity if we don't get rid of that negative thought; we understand how important it is to live in the moment and enjoy it with the loved ones we fear losing someday, yet we keep worrying ourselves to death about what would happen t…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…