Skip to main content

What the stars foretell.


Image: Stocksnap.io



 I awoke with a jolt this morning, at 8:15 am (that damn cough syrup, I tell you!) and realised I hadn't gotten back to my usual blogging schedule! What had I been doing all these days? As I brushed my teeth, and drew up my to-do list for the day, I decided I would, apart from chilling, write a blogpost today. The morning passed by beautifully and by noon I remembered my to-do list. Switching off the television, I brought out my laptop, lighted a few incense sticks (aww, not really! Just kidding ๐Ÿ˜‰), and prayed to the Almighty for some interesting prompts to  fire my imagination. Having done all of that, I settled into my favourite chair, my fingers ready to fly across the keyboard and type up a magnificent post in a matter of minutes.

 However, as always,  no sooner had I fired up my laptop than the ideas that had begun swimming in my mind, vanished, just like that! I sat for almost 20 minutes twiddling my thumbs, racking my brain and thinking of something to write about. Was I facing the dreaded writer's block? And, if this continues, how is it going to affect my resolutions? A dozen questions crowded my mind and sent me into panic mode. Grumbling about the inability to write a decent post and stick to my schedule, I cursed myself and reached for  the newspaper to see if I could find something there. You never know when inspiration would strike and what would prompt you to write, do you?

 And, as I had predicted, or rather, hoped for, I found the prompt hidden in the papers, in the astrology column, of all the places! I rubbed my hands in glee as I scanned the column to see what my stars had in store for me this week. Now, I am really not a believer of astrology; it's just out of sheer curiosity, when the morale and the mood are running low, that I turn to the stars for help. At times, they do come up with absolute humbug; but, at times, they bring me gifts galore!

 On some days, they tell me Cupid's going to pay me a visit, or, that I should be alert because love is in the air, and I might run into the object of my affection. I sniff the air -  like Chikoo does when I cook his favourite chicken soup -  to get a whiff of that drug which would raise my heart beat; I keep my eyes peeled for my beloved everywhere I go.  Alas, it's only the scent of either mosquito repellent or a pain balm that knocks me down!
And on other days, the stars congratulate me for a possible windfall! I don't need to tell you that this does not materialise , either.

 It's primarily because of these lies the stars told that I lost faith in them.  Why make all those glorious promises when you know not what's going to happen? Sitting up there in the heavens, how can those tiny twinkling dots predict our future?  I deduced that it was just a pastime for some people looking for entertainment, for which they used the stars to instil into us dimwits some sense of hope during the lousy times we went through.

 Just scan through these columns and you will find a pattern there. On some days, the stars have only happy news for one and all. Like, this week, I - the Gemini - will be enjoying good times, personally and professionally. Aries, Taurus, Scorpio, Leo... all have wonderful times ahead! Creativity will be at its best; people will be able to focus on their goals and watch their dreams come true; some will develop the Midas touch, turning to gold all that they, well, touch! In short, life looks beautiful for every soul this week!

And, on other days, the stars are the harbingers of bad news, for one and all. Health, finances, relationships, jobs...they predict  turmoil in every aspect of life for every zodiac sign under the starlit sky! And, to think of it, there are countless people who believe in the stars, in all that they foretell! The kind of heartache they subject themselves to; wouldn't it be better instead to just gaze at the stars and delight in their sparkle?

Anyway, believe in them or not, the stars helped me complete my post and get my writing back on schedule. So, thank you, little twinklers, for your guidance. Keep shining, as always, and showing us the way when we stumble in the dark and risk losing our way! Literally, not figuratively, of course!

Do you believe in the stars for what they predict? Or, do you prefer relaxing in their shimmer?

Love,

SHILPA...



Comments

  1. I've never believed in astrology although...hmmm, I am a Sagittarius in our astrology system (the Archer) and archery has always interested me. One day, I may even learn how.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the spirit, Alana! Your sun sign will help you pick up a new skill! ;P

      Delete
  2. Lovely. I believe that stars always inspire and motivate me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Nikita...they do!
      Thank you for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  3. I believe there is a cosmic power that watches over us. It's very heartening to hear the voice of God in the stillness of the mind. Most days I forget to listen but on the days I do, the peace is incredibly soothing. Some say stars and others say God. As long as they keep us happy and driven in the right direction I have no problems whatsoever. Of course, it would be nice if some of those windfall predictions did come true. He he he.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree with it, Shailaja...It is that super power that not only watches over us, but guides us and cares for us, too. You just need to listen..and it's only when the mind is still that one can listen to what that voice says!
      And, yes...I would so love for that windfall to take place! ;P

      Delete
  4. Damn it got posted before I could complete...
    So I was saying, my ideas too disappear. The stars always say the same thing about all the signs... Sometimes I just enjoy reading how they twist each word and sentence to have the same meaning... Now that's a skill ๐Ÿ˜‹

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One is only supposed to enjoy reading the predictions they print in the newspapers/magazines, Raj. It's only wise to do that, else we only end up with unnecessary stress.
      And, true, the predictors, they sure are a skilful lot! ;P

      Delete
  5. Hahaha! See? Just writing about the process is so much fun, no? And me? I prefer relaxing in their shimmer, definitely. I am giggling at your sniffing and the aroma of mosquito repellent. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, Vidya...I, too, enjoy their shimmer...love star-gazing!
      Hugs, sweetie! <3

      Delete
  6. That is a good post, smart of you to use the stars. They do take us for a ride often ;) I don't believe in them a 100% but at times they are hard to ignore. I am Virgo and sometimes I find my forecast quite accurate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At times, the forecast does turn out to be perfect, Indy. It's only those times when it doesn't, that we lost sleep over it. Best to either ignore it all, or take it in the right spirit. ;P

      Delete
  7. I do believe in the traits that sunsigns are attached to. But I don't believe in the every day predictions they are associated with. Loved your writeup. See, inspiration is around us all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too believe in the traits attached to sun signs, Maliny. In fact, that's how I bond with people...to see if we share the same sun signs, and if not, are we still compatible? ;P
      Everyday predictions are not supposed to be taken seriously. It's wise to take help from a scholar in the subject if you so need some hope during testing times.

      Delete
  8. First always quickly scribble down any ideas that come in your mind for later use. Note about astrology, l believe it is a science. Have heard enough stories to know that it has some basis. Of course, newspaper columns are not accurate. How can they? They are more for fun l think. But the key is in finding a learned astrologer. There are many things in life we don't understand. This could be one of them. Hope Chikoo is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that, too, Rachna. I have a little book that I carry with me when I am outdoors, or at home, to jot down the ideas I hit upon and then I work around it.
      I understand when someone says that they believe in the stars and their forecast, but, it's better to believe in God, our guiding force and in our destiny and also in hard work and to never lose hope.
      Yes, my dear, Chikoo is well...growing older by the day! Sigh.

      Delete
  9. Ha ha.. reading the forecast is one of my favourite pastimes. Somedays its uncannily accurate and somedays completely off the mark. And I'll let you in on a secret - when I was working with a newspaper and the forecast wouldn't come in time we'd simply shuffle what we had - put the gemini in the capricorn and cancer in the Leo and so on. It's still fun, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hawww! Tulika, you people actually did that?! Wait, I am going to tweet about it now! Hehehe...But it's a fact that the forecast does get shuffled every once in a while. And, that is the reason one must not believe in what one reads in the newspapers/magazines. Okay, there are some who do believe in what the stars foretell, so, for each his own. It's wise though, to follow someone who has studied the subject in detail and knows what he is talking.
      As for me, I believe in that guy sitting up there in heaven, who is always by my side, through thick or thin, and who, I know, will never let me lose my way!

      Delete
  10. I do turn to the stars when I am depressed or something hasnt worked out.... But yeah I do believe in destiny and a divine force that guides us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's times when we are depressed that we need some hope that the storm will die down and the sun will shine once again, and those are the times when we turn to the stars for help. I do, too, but otherwise, I trust in that divine force which is always with us.

      Delete
  11. My relationship with astrology (as a science) is weird, I think I do believe in it, but I don't ever rely on it.

    The newspaper columns I only ever read for entertainment in my younger days. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Shantala...The newspaper columns on astrology are only for entertainment..;D

      Delete
  12. Hmmm. I am a bit like Winnie the Poo... a bit of yes to both... I turn to the stars when I have some questions to be answered but I pick and choose what I like, and how to interpret, and enjoy hanging out in the shimmer most I guess:-) I love to just walk outside and stretch my back and neck and loooooook uuuup --- then I often get the answer all my that. Lovely post and lovely written my sweet friend Shilpa:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe...we all should pick and choose what we like about our predictions, Eli! If we keep believing every word written there, we are only heading towards a meltdown.
      Thank you for stopping by, sweetie!

      Delete
  13. And wowww! What an impressive write shilpa...shows u can write out of nothing and anything too. All tht u need is passion babes. And you have it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ru! <3
      Trying to do it to the best of my ability! ;P

      Delete
  14. I don't really believe in the stars. And believe more that man is the maker of his own destiny. But nevertheless I still rad the forecasts. Probably I find them like a sort of maternal advice. Repetitive indeed but constantly reminding of things that may happen to u in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, Ramya..Man is the maker of his own destiny. His hard work and his faith in himself and the Supreme Power is what will help him cross oceans and move mountains. The stars are mostly only to add glitter to the night sky! But, then, at times....you know! ;P

      Delete
  15. I normally don't believe in stars but buy the horoscope book for fun. Sometimes, stars put the fear in us in the same way rituals do! Enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, find the sun signs/love signs books quite entertaining. But, that's that. Believing in the stars can be distressful, no doubt.

      Delete
  16. Participate in blogging contest at http://www.funkaar.in/contest.html....ending soon.....Assured prizes for winners....

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do love to look up and see them winking at me. Amazing how a ball of fire from thousands of lightyears away can be relaxing to watch. I believe I still make my own destiny though.

    This has been fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just read them out of curiosity and nothing else. I don't take their predictions too seriously and I think no one should because whatever comes in the future is just the output of our actions :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. My problem when I sit down to write is focusing on only one thing at a time! I have so many ideas and I get distracted. And oh, about astrology...I look at it for entertainment, like I do the fortunes in cookies!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On love and attachments.

Learning to live without the person whom we loved more than our life is one of the toughest things we humans experience during our life.
Almost every moment of our day we spend in their shadows, enveloped in their love; we don't even realise when they became an extension of our selves. We come to accept them along with their flaws, their peculiarities, which often have the potential to drain us of our patience. Yet, we love them, unconditionally, at times wondering how we survived before they entered our world. Often, we also wonder how we will ever survive after they leave our world.

The human mind is such.  Its ability to give birth to a thought and then mull over it however unpleasant it may be, is quite baffling! We realise we stand to lose our sanity if we don't get rid of that negative thought; we understand how important it is to live in the moment and enjoy it with the loved ones we fear losing someday, yet we keep worrying ourselves to death about what would happen t…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…