Skip to main content

Are you a bibliophile?



  Over the years, I have realised that being an introvert and  loving your own company more than that of the others has its own benefits. You learn a lot about 'Yourself'  - the one person you are going to spend your life with - and, you learn to spend your time and energy on things that help mould you into a much better version of yourself.

  It can be stifling, though,  being with yourself all the time. I mean, we humans are social animals, and we need people to share our feelings with, at least every now and then, if not always.  But, when solitude gets forced upon you, all you can do is accept it,  learn ways to turn the situation around, and revel in it!

 I turned to the love of my life - my books! An avid reader as a youngster, I remember how I would  wander off in the pages of my story books and forget the world. Over time, though, my books took a backseat as life took over.  Until some time ago, when I heard them calling out to me during some silent moments and I picked them up again. And, discovered the magic they held in their bosom, waiting to be showered upon a solitary soul and turn her world upside down.

 I have read  books that took me away to distant lands; lands that held in their aridness souls that loved, laughed, cried and fought the battle of their extraordinary lives. Lives that, albeit fictional, dazzled me with their realness.  How astonishing and moving are some of the stories that lie hidden amongst the pages of a book! Aren't we lucky to have writers, who wield such  power over us that not for a moment are we able to put their books away!?

 There are scores of books with tales about fictional people leading a life as real as our own. People and their stories that leave us dumbfounded; characters that leave us amazed at their ability to live, in spite of it all; words that work their charm on us and help us look closely at the miracle called 'life'.

 How often does it happen, that we lay our hands on a  book not knowing how magically it might affect us.  A few words that almost jump at us and catch us unawares, help us find answers for riddles that leave us perplexed. Words that come together to form the epiphany that jolts us out of our slumber to look at life in a whole new light!

 Being a writer for some time now, I have realised the kind of tremendous efforts it takes to string together words that touch people's hearts, move them to tears, or even tickle their funny bones and leave them gasping for air. Words so ethereal in their beauty, they seem to flow effortlessly through the writer's quill. Words, we so often borrow to express our happiness, our angst and our sorrow. Words without which our world would have been barren, joyless!

 Ah, books! How would I ever live without them, without the exquisite little words they hold within them? I dedicate this post to the many books that helped me during some painful solitary moments; books that helped me look at life from a new angle and understand her a little better; books that made me weep, made me laugh, made me forget my worries and find happiness in their company. Books that make me happy for being more in love with them than with people! Well, you see, I am quite apprehensive when it comes to trusting people, but books...that's a different story, altogether!


The above post has been written for Wordy Wednesday

This week's prompt: Word prompt: ethereal, extraordinary, epiphany














  

Comments

  1. Hello from a likeminded soul. Books are an introvert's best friend. They're the most inexpensive hobby and now with online stores and kindle everything is available everywhere. I think that's marvellous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to the world of books. My reading also took a backseat post marriage. It is only in the past two years I have revived my reading habit and glad that I still love it. I love your pile of books especially the Rabindranath Tagore book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a thorough bibliophile. Ever since I can remember I have loved books. I always will.

    Loved your take on the prompt. The word epiphany in particular was brilliantly used :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how you've used exquisite little words to describe your affair with books, and spoken for many of us. Indeed, thanks to books, I've found it easier to stay away from people and be with myself. Plus, they help me discover myself over and over again.

    From one bibliophile to another, Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you because I love books too! Staying away from home is not easy and books have been my best companions throughout!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was wonderful, Shilpa. What a great tribute to the world of books! They are magical how they help us, inspire us and motivate us. I am a bibliophile, too. Great use of the prompt, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful love letter to books. My life would be nothing without books; I've given so many away but still have so many in the house; more than I could ever read in two lifetimes. I, too, am an introvert. I'm happy to find a kindred soul. As an author I know says, "Write on!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. You speak for so many of us, Shilpa, especially me. Books have been my first love and it's been the one constant in my life that has only ever brought joy. So happy to know that you have found the same joy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely the way you describe your love for books.I am an extrovert but I come back to books to travel into the lives of the unknown,unseen and unimagined. It gives me so much pleasure when the story finds an ending. And when it doesn't I feel myself yearning for the characters to have some kind of closure. Your books reminded me of long forgotten Brian Weiss! Totally thoroughly enjoy what he has to say.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shilpa, you've made me long to go dive into a cosy hole right now with a great book! Its been a while since I read anything decent! Yes, you are right, books do make the best companions for the lonely mind, you are never alone with a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally agree Shilpa... One other point Id like to share is I strongly believe each book comes to us at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shilpa, I am an introvert and books are my lifeline. It is a pleasure to sit and live the lives of the characters in the books. I have traveled far and wide with them, celebrated their successes and cried over their failures :) When being alone is a choice one is never lonely and the added bonus of the books makes it awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree to every word in your post, Shilpa. I love books and I regret it that lately I am not finding much time to read. But, I do know that it is for the time being. Books will always be my favourite companion :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Books! They are my true treasure. My folks often joke about whom I'll bequeath the thousands of books I've accumulated - digital and physical. Books are a blessing.Love your stack of books!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Definitely similar --- bibliophile and introvert. I think the two go hand in hand...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Books are for all moods and seasons - boring day, moody day, happy day ... it's a different world all together. And I agree, it's only after I started writing did I realize how difficult it is to capture a reader's attention and transport them to a different world.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I could not agree more. The world they make us see is something that is way beyond what we can think> Can't believe I let go reading for some years of my life and now that I am back, I can't stop reading ;

    ReplyDelete
  18. We share not only names but interests and personality traits too, Shilpa. Books are my life lines and I dont know how I would have managed life without them all these years!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hold a book in your hand and the time flies away.Like said above,I regret not having time to read more,and also not being able to recount the details of the many classics I have read till now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…

The motherhood challenge.

A  few days ago, a dear friend of mine wrote a touching post disapproving the 'motherhood challenge' that has been going viral on Facebook. Motherhood challenge is all about women posting pictures with their children and tagging other women, who according to them, are 'awesome mothers'. But, my friend felt that by adding the words challenge and dare,  they were drawing a divide between themselves and others who weren't blessed enough.  I was touched by her views that defended women who might feel marginalised by such a challenge, although that might not be the motive behind it at all.
          Wonder how many women would feel the way my friend did! How many of the 'blessed ones' try and understand that behind such decisions might lie a reason, a helplessness that gives a woman endless pain? We haven't chosen to stay childless because of a lack of fondness for children. There were reasons and circumstances that stood in the way of us holdin…