Skip to main content

Dangling earrings.




What do you do when you find your days dull and gloomy?  What do you do when you find your effervescence forsaking you and your mood turning towards the nasty  blues? What is it that you do to lift your spirits when feeling all crappy and sick?

I put on my dangling earrings. The danglier the better. That's something I have discovered that helps put me in the right mood all over again. Let's admit it. A homemaker's life can be utterly boring, at times. The mornings are sure busy and rushed, but once you have bidden goodbye and "have a lovely day!" to one and all, you turn around to face an empty house,  pin-drop silence and a load of dirty dishes and unwashed laundry and whatnot.

Your first instinct is to just drop into the nearby couch and doze off. Forget all the damned chores and just put your feet up; play some soothing music, or curl up with that dogeared book that has been lying on the bookshelf since months. Or, maybe pour yourself a glass of wine (In the morning? Sure, why not! Who's watching!? 😜), tip your head on the cushion and just soak in the peace. But, alas, you know you can't afford to do that. You will be wasting precious minutes, and before you know it, it will be evening, with your little ones returning from school. Your morning unfinished chores will still be glaring at you in the eye, but all you would want to do is chat with your precious ones about how they spent their day at school.

At times, your body feels sore, you have the PMS blues, or the loathsome perimenopausal  mood swings, or just a lackadaisical day. Well, we can't be cheerful and in high spirits each day, everyday, now, can we? But, with whom do we share our misery? A phone call to our bestie does pep us up a bit, but then, what if she isn't available? Or, what if the pep talk doesn't work, either? What if your bestie is having a bad day, too?

I have experienced it all, as have you,  and have come to the conclusion, that it's not something you can crib about to anyone, not even to your better half ( they have better things to do, and moreover, we are now grownups, we can't expect any molly-coddling from them, can we?). It all rests in our hands, this cheering ourselves up to carry on with life and her sundry chores.

And, for me, the one thing that never fails to do the trick, is my dangling earrings! Wait,  should it be are my dangling earrings? But, if it's are instead of is, then, ah, I digress. Leave the grammar be! We were discussing things that perk us up in a jiffy. Mine are my dangling earrings.  Trivial though it may seem, this little piece of jewellery can work wonders on my exhausted mind and body.

This cheap trinket has a slight tinkle that reaches my ears each time it sways as I walk around. It brushes against my neck, kisses me behind my ears and puts a spring in my step! All the lethargy that had invaded my entire being some time ago, vanishes in no time and I feel a rush of adrenalin as I move about energetically, completing the chores.

In no time I am a free bird, with an impressive amount of time at my disposal, to do as I please! The mood swings do loiter around in the background, but I just give them a royal snub. The boredom does threaten to return as it skulks at the periphery, because household chores are a never-ending entity, and come evening there will be another mountain load of stuff to do. But, I push it further away from its position at the periphery and settle down with my happy spirits, thanks to my dangling trinkets, planning a wonderful day ahead.

At times, I put on my brown lipstick, too! I know, one might feel why play dress-up at home, when you can just play a ragbag and  pass your boring day! After all, who is there to give you an admiring look?  But, that's where the secret lies! WE give ourselves that much needed admiring look! WE play our own cheer-leaders!  We  dress up a bit, paint our lips, and our nails. add some bling to the dull and dreary pyjamas and just feel good...for ourselves!   It's something that will never fail to do it's magic. Trust me. Try it out for yourselves, if you haven't yet.

So what if lipstick and jewellery won't go with the worn pyjamas and the faded t-shirt! It will go with your attitude, and that's what matters, isn't it? So, girls, go ahead and dress up, even if you have nowhere to go. Dress up for yourselves and watch your smile light up your mood. It's instant gratification, playing dress-up.  Who doesn't like looking their best? Hmm?

And, if we don't hold ourselves together, who will?

What is it that peps you up when you are down in the dumps?  What is it that cheers you in no time and puts the smile back where it belongs - on your lips? Do share with me....I would love to hear all about your tips and tricks! 

Love,


SHILPA...





Comments

  1. Wow, such a lovely post! A much needed reminder that we are our own cheer leaders! Indeed we are :) Thank you, it made me smile! I love women who take responsibilities of their own happiness! Also, this article reminded me to get my eyebrows done! :D For....we all love to look our best! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Meghana, we all should do our best to cheer ourselves every time we feel glum. It's our responsibility towards ourselves - to feel good and to look good, too!
      Glad my post made you smile! <3

      Delete
  2. I do play dress up sometimes but that's mostly when I am happy, not to kick the dullness out. I resort to making lists, going for a walk or writing my heart out in order to get rid of the crappy feeling. Sometimes watching an episode of Friends or the big bang theory do wonders. :) But I see what you mean. Putting on some nice clothes and some make-up sure should lift one's spirits. And it doesn't matter if we are sitting at home. We matter, don't we, for us at least? :)
    By the way, I love the new look of your blog, Shilpa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, VInitha...we matter...to ourselves!
      I too watch Friends to cheer myself up when I feel lonely, and when my friends are unavailable. We all do what we can - what we should, coz if we don't pick ourselves up, it's we who will have a hard time!
      And, thanks darling, for the comment about my new look! I was wondering if anyone would notice!
      Hugs!

      Delete
  3. Well, yesterday I actually took a short nap at lunch time. I feel better when I put make up on. (I work at home so I don't have to get dressed OR put make up on!) Sometimes it helps to take a quick walk around the block. And by the way -- I love those dragonfly earrings...I used to have a whole necklace of dragonflies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nap sounds so rejuvenating, Caroline! I do it, too...a 20 minute nap after linch refreshes me in no time. As does some make-up!
      I love dragonflies and when I saw these earrings in the shop-window, I simply had to buy them! Your necklace must look awesome! :)
      Thank you for the visit!

      Delete
  4. Oh, that was fun to read! I like to put on music, loooooudddd! Or go for a walk. Dress up is fun to- I surely got inspired by reading this - will go and check out my earrings now. Loved yours my dear:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Eli....I looovee to put on the music on loud, so loud it shoos away all the negative thoughts from my mind! :) What a fun way to relax and refresh, isn't it?
      Hugs, sweetie!

      Delete
  5. I always put on red lipstick home when I feel sad .Danglers sound perfect to go.with the. Keeping this in mind for next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red lipstick not only adds colour to your face, it acts as a therapy for our mood, too! I can imagine how uplifting it must feel with that dash of colour!
      Thank you for the visit, Amrita!

      Delete
  6. This was so sweet to read. I suppose my mood lifter is music, usually good English numbers of some soft, Sufi music. Never fails to lift my mood :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. My mood lifter is also music, apart from jewellery, of course! Music put on loud...so loud it entertains my neighbours, too! Hehehe

      Delete
  7. What a lovely post. I love to step out in my balcony, look at my plants with music in the background. Sometimes, online window shopping is also a good distraction ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That brings to mind such a beautiful picture, Parul. Talking to your green friends as the music plays on in the background. Perfect mood uplifter!

      Delete
  8. I loved your enthusiasm. And you're so very right. Why wait for an occasion to dress up? Why remain a ruddy ruddy at home? Oh and I love dangling earrings - silver ones. I have loads and loads of them which N is hoping to inherit one day. Studs were never my scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, love those silver earrings, Tulika! I am aiming to hoard loads of those! Hehehe...They give that dressy look in a jiffy, apart from cheering us up, too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On love and attachments.

Learning to live without the person whom we loved more than our life is one of the toughest things we humans experience during our life.
Almost every moment of our day we spend in their shadows, enveloped in their love; we don't even realise when they became an extension of our selves. We come to accept them along with their flaws, their peculiarities, which often have the potential to drain us of our patience. Yet, we love them, unconditionally, at times wondering how we survived before they entered our world. Often, we also wonder how we will ever survive after they leave our world.

The human mind is such.  Its ability to give birth to a thought and then mull over it however unpleasant it may be, is quite baffling! We realise we stand to lose our sanity if we don't get rid of that negative thought; we understand how important it is to live in the moment and enjoy it with the loved ones we fear losing someday, yet we keep worrying ourselves to death about what would happen t…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…