Skip to main content

Love bites...A happy post.

No, no. This post has nothing to do with erotica! It also isn't about love that bites (as in, our fur babies, who enjoy nipping, nibbling etc when in  prankster mode). It's about a  little something I have been indulging in since some time now.

My mind being very productive tends to go off on its own endless trips when left idle. Needless to say, such trips can  leave me totally exhausted, mentally and emotionally. So, some time back, I decided to keep it engaged in some more activities, apart from writing and art, so that it would stay happy despite all the chaos that life can be.

I began baking, seriously. I did bake earlier, too, but this time, I decided to really take  efforts in working on my baking skills with the help of my dear cousin, who is an accomplished baker herself. I began with different types of cookies and cupcakes and, fortunately, they turned out quite well! Chikoo would drool when those babies were getting baked in the oven, so I know. His drool spoke a lot about their goodness!
And, these are the love bites I am talking about! ๐Ÿ˜€ I mean, who doesn't love to have a bite  of such sinfully tasty things, haan?
I have been baking like a woman possessed, baking being such a therapeutic activity. Moreover, people buy the stuff I bake, so thankfully, I don't have to pile on the calories all by myself! ๐Ÿ˜œ




I remember how Chikoo would begin howling no sooner the aroma of the cakes would reach his highly sensitive nose and beg me to give him some..

Chikoo demanding his share!


"For the love of God, stop torturing me, woman, and just bring me some of those goodies, will ya?"
he would say. Never was he satisfied with a bite or two. He would demand a lot more and made sure I gave him all he asked for. I knew it wasn't good for his health, but I felt that he had lived his life eating all the healthy (and boring) food I gave him, day in day out, without grumbling even once, and now that he was old, he ought to enjoy in every way.


Chikoo by the oven, when he could walk.

These days as I bake, my thoughts invariably take me to the not-so-distant past, when Chikoo would keep loitering around the kitchen (or insist I help him move to that favourite spot of his when he couldn't walk) and keep staring at me as I worked. His olfactory organs on high alert, waiting to catch the first whiff of the oven baked yummies, his tongue drooling puddles as he sat in anticipation of his favourite cakes and cookies.

Nowadays, I place his picture frame on the dining table that's right across the kitchen, so each time I turn around, I find him staring back at me from the frame, inundating me with those sweet memories of the past. It brings a lump to my throat as I realise he isn't here to demand his share of my cakes, anymore, but I know he is there, somewhere around, drooling at the heavenly aroma!

                                                   ********************

Today, it's two weeks since my little fella crossed the rainbow bridge. There are moments when I smile - giggle, too -  as I reminisce about our past. But, there are also moments when the tears, they gush out unannounced, and leave me completely drained. But, then, so is life, isn't it? We all miss our people when they are no more with us. At times, their memories make us laugh, at times they make us weep, and then when these moments pass us by, we get on with life, all over again!

I do have a bone to pick with Chikoo, though. It's been two long weeks, and not once has he visited me in my dreams! I mean, I have a whole lot of people who do, but this little guy seems to have forgotten me completely!

Hey, Chikoo, are you listening?

                 
                                                ******************

Chikoo:  Chillax, mom! Yeah, that's one of the new and cool words my buddies here taught me. And they are so much better than those boring words you drilled into my head every time you went clickety-click at your laptop!
Anyway, woman, just 'coz I haven't visited you in your dreams does not mean I have forgotten you, okay? Don't you know I reside in your heart? The thing that goes thud-thud in your heart isn't your heartbeat, it's my tail, wagging against your chest, you dodo! 
Oh, and I am also very much around you...all the time. Those vanilla cakes you baked today..those smelled like heaven. Ah, I wish they baked those things here, too. Then, I would have my cake and eat it, too! Bwahahahaha! 

Oh, by the way, mom, I am gonna be busy for some time. Psst..there are some really sexy girls out here, and, they hardly leave me alone! So, ya see, I will come visit ya in your dreams once those chicks give me a break! 
Until then, ciao, mom! 
Take care!











Comments

  1. Awww what a sweet post Shilpa!! A big hug from another dog lover who has seen so many of them just go by; not just my own but my cousins and friends too!! I have baby sat so many of them that I grieved for them like my own when they went!
    I can smell warm cinnamon love wafting from your words as I read them and yes your little fella is gamboling in rainbow heaven - I bet he gets cakes and cookies there plus unlimited frosting to lick too!! Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww....thank you so much, Shalini! These babies, they do give us a tough time when they go away, don/t they?
      I too hope he is having a lovely time up there! :) <3

      Delete
  2. Awww.. that is so sad! But it was such a sweet and different post to share the loss of Chikoo. Hope he is happy where he is :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, Reema!
      Thank you so much! :)

      Delete
  3. This warmed my heart and I want to give a BIG tight hug to you, Shilpa! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the big , tight hug, Shilpa! Thank you so much! <3

      Delete
  4. Such a bitter-sweet post! Sweet, for the memories it must bring flooding to you everytime you bake and bitter, because the object of your affection isn't there anymore. Love and hugss.

    Shubhangi @ The Little Princess

    ReplyDelete
  5. The last paragraph brought a smile on my face. Btw, heard Chikoo is looking at you from the sky. Your love bites are really yummy. Decided to be off sweet for a week and will only have sugary stuffs once in a while. I have such a sweet tooth that carves every single day and time to pull the trigger:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Big hug to you, Shilpa. Chickoo has left you with loads of memories, cherish them. Glad you are baking , I find baking very therapeutic and I hope you do too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His memories are what I cling on to now, DA!
      And, yes, baking is such a therapeutic activity! :)
      Thank you for visiting! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On love and attachments.

Learning to live without the person whom we loved more than our life is one of the toughest things we humans experience during our life.
Almost every moment of our day we spend in their shadows, enveloped in their love; we don't even realise when they became an extension of our selves. We come to accept them along with their flaws, their peculiarities, which often have the potential to drain us of our patience. Yet, we love them, unconditionally, at times wondering how we survived before they entered our world. Often, we also wonder how we will ever survive after they leave our world.

The human mind is such.  Its ability to give birth to a thought and then mull over it however unpleasant it may be, is quite baffling! We realise we stand to lose our sanity if we don't get rid of that negative thought; we understand how important it is to live in the moment and enjoy it with the loved ones we fear losing someday, yet we keep worrying ourselves to death about what would happen t…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

How I wish I could turn back the clock!

"Youth comes but once in a life time!"
               ___H.W.Longfellow.



             Traversing through  life, how often do we look back wistfully at our past and wish we could go back, wish we could live it all over again, just one more time?   Each time we witness the young around us enjoying life, enjoying their freedom and pursuing dreams with an enviable vigour, how we wish we could swap places! Sigh.

             A few days ago, I happened to have a chat with a 23 year old cousin. Excited about her future and the plans she had chalked out for herself, she had quite a lot to share with me. The sparkle in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice spoke a lot about how eager she was to embark upon the path she had chosen! Her enthusiasm was, indeed, contagious, for it left me yearning to turn the clock back and re-enter that age I left behind almost 2 decades ago.

          Were I to find Aladdin's lamp, I would ask the Genie to transport me back to the past I so wish…