Skip to main content

On the temporariness of life.


It's not impermanence that makes us suffer.
What makes us suffer is wanting things to be permanent when they are not.

_Thich Nhat Hanh


How I wish this vibrant bloom would defy the impermanent nature of life!

It has been some time now since I have been on a learning spree, if I can call it that - spree, I mean. It really wasn't what I wanted to do, but life seems to have had some plans up its sleeve, and it sprung those upon me when I wasn't really looking forward to any major changes.

I lost the apple of my eyes - my pet, Chikoo. Not that I hadn't known  all along that some day he would part ways with us. We all do. As if we have a say in matters of the universe!  So, as much as I have accepted that this is the nature of life - temporary - I am finding it difficult to deal with my loss.

Dealing with loss isn't easy; how well we all know that! And, yet, we keep on moving ahead in life, wishing life was easier to deal with, loss was easier to deal with. Sadly, though, we really have no  choice but accept whatever fate has in store for us.  We lose people to death or to circumstances; at times, people simply drift away, like the ship that drifts away by the current of the sea waters leaving behind many a teary eyed souls waving their goodbyes to their 'someones' who may never ever return. Despite making promises of staying by each other's sides forever and ever people move away, reinforcing the temporariness of everything in life.

Haven't we known all along that nothing lasts forever, not even feelings, then why do we find it so painful to accept this bitter fact of life? There are some brave hearts out there, who accept it all with a smile - the changes that occur, the losses they suffer - all of it. I like to think that either they are superlatively courageous, or exceedingly stoic. I am not so sure if there are any degrees of stoicism, though, but this is what I feel about people who take it all on their chin.

And, here I am, unable to digest even the loss of  friends who decided to go their separate ways without so much as a goodbye! As much as  I am aware of this temporariness, I am still to come to terms with the fact that there are people  in my life who might just walk away from me some day; without caring to give me an explanation, or even bid me farewell! I am still to accept the fact that the life I live today might take a 360 degree turn and change like I have never ever imagined. And, that is what frightens me. It just scares the hell out of me! It's really not the kind of language I use on my blog, but these words perfectly sum up my feelings!

This constant urge to change is the one characteristic feature of life that overwhelms me. How I wish things were a bit different, with only the unpleasantness undergoing the necessary change and the happiness staying intact...untouched! Life would be so happy happy...no? Now, I know what you will say: "if we don't learn about sorrow, how will we value the happiness we are blessed with?" etc etc. But, I say, what's the harm in fantasising? We have to get back to facing life in a moment or two, so until then, why not just go sailing on the ship of our dreams and wish life stayed a bed of roses?

I would have then had my Chikoo with me, always, always!

Sigh.


                                              ************************


Linking this post to #ChattyBlogs by @ Shanaya tales. Do visit and share some love.. :)




Comments

  1. "This too shall pass" as is the famous saying. :)

    If life were not continuously evolving, imagine how worthless it would have been. You bemoan the wilting flower because you once saw it bloom. Imagine if it were to remain a bud forever.

    Hoping that good times come quickly for you and you get a pause from your learning "spree" ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How beautifully you explain things, Pawan! Loved your point of view. I too know and understand how important change is to life, it's just that sometimes the mind goes into the 'dil hai ki maanta nahi' mode! :)

      Thank you so much for your lovely comment!

      Delete
  2. My sweetheart Shilpa! I can sense your loss.... sadness... yes, I would wish that too sometimes. When I lost my mum last year- it was unbelievable - so unfair, unjust it couldn't be true... I think we will never be the same again after a loss ... it lives with us... biiiig hugs to you my dear friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, ELi. We can never be the same after we have lost someone who's been the most precious person in our life!
      Hugs to you, too! <3

      Delete
  3. Hugs, Shilpa. I can't even begin to imagine the pain you must feel at missing Chikoo. I always believe that Change is the only constant thing in life and if we learn to ride each wave that threatens to overwhelm us/drown us we are good. I hope you feel better soon. Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, DA. I, too, believe that change is the only constant and of utmost necessity for us to be able to survive in this world. It's just some times when the heart is too sad to accept these facts of life that I feel low. I will be fine soon...promise! :) <3

      Delete
  4. Hugs, dearie. I know nothing I say will make this easier, and all I can say is that choose strength and acceptance. But even as I write this, I know this is easier said than done.

    It's strange how we all know how fleeting this life on earth is, and yet very casually use the terms 'forever' and 'happily ever after'. Almost as if we refuse to acknowledge the reality. Or possibly it's making the best of the time we have, since that's all that is in our control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Shan..I feel that we ought to banish these words, 'forever' and 'everafter' from our dictionary! How contradictory they are to what life actually is!
      Thank you so much, sweetie! <3

      Delete
  5. Of course there's no harm in fantasising but aren't there other times when you are happy that nothing is forever ( like a toothache may be or a boss who is a PAIN? ) . It's ok to grieve and it's ok to worry about people leaving you ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Sunita, hubby got Chikoo home when after we realised that we couldn't even consider having a child of our own. So, Chikoo has been the son I never had. And, although he was my baby, it was I who had come to depend on him so much. And, now that he isn't here for me, I feel lost at times. I am coming to terms with it and accepting that this is how life is, but at tines when I feel low, such words come out pouring from my heart!
      I sure am glad that nothing in life is constant - how we need that change to be able to survive in life! It's only sometimes, when I feel low, that I wish the good times would last forever, and the bad times would go by quickly!

      Delete
  6. Sometimes, the loss of 'impermanence' gives you permanent loss, and it's really difficult to live (you have to, and you can't show your grief to everyone) with the loss. Time cannot heal every wound, sometimes, it just teaches you to live with it.

    Poignant post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Tarang! Time does not heal certain wounds; we just get used to living with that pain for the rest of our lives!

      Thank you so much!

      Delete
  7. Loved the quote at the start, Amazing click and post !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a tough one. I understand the conflict in terms of the acceptance that life and almost everything within it is temporary. Yet, knowing that, and knowing that change, death, transitions are all part of life doesn't make it any easier to process and hold. I hope your learning spree continues and you continue to enlighten us as well. Big hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sanch, I am glad that nothing in life is constant, and that everything here is impermanent. Yet, some times, when I feel an overwhelming sorrow bringing me down, I start hoping that the good times stayed forever and ever!
      I will overcome this pain, too...it will take a bit of a time, but I will be fine!

      Thank you so much! Hugs! <3

      Delete
  9. I wouldnt define it as stoicism or resignation but rather a strength to keep moving forward, no matter what!
    I hear you about these ppl walking in and out of our life without a goodbye - been there, done that so many times now that I now cringe when I hear that someone wants to be friends!! My first thought goes out to " it wont last, so whats the point?"
    A big big hug for Chikoo - I know what the loss of a pet does to you, I still havent gone back to keeping one again since my first left us two decades ago!!! Thats how much I am still holding onto it!!
    Cherish the memories to go forward is my mantra; letting go of the anger and stop blaming myself for it!! Thats my two bits for handling change.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Shalz.I, too, cringe when people come close..I have built a wall around myself and hardly allow anyone a peek inside!
      Yes, losing Chikoo has been tough, dealing with his loss has been painful, but I will get over it in some time. Getting over it does sound a bit harsh, but I am only trying to strengthen myself as it's a long road ahead, which is going to be without my baby!

      Thank you so much, dear! <3

      Delete
  10. Big hugs as always, Shilpa. Grief, I've told you my thoughts on this, so I won't repeat them here. Know that, as far as we are concerned, you have a friend for life. I'll never leave. This, I promise you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww.....that was so touching! Those last two sentences made my eyes moisten! Hugs to you, too, and I'll never leave, either! <3

      Delete
  11. The ones that leave you are not fit to really have the love you share, That is what I think and have been following. I give everything to people and when I know they are not worth I leave completely Shilpa. I somehow have this detached feeling which saves a lot of heartache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Menaka, you are lucky to have the detached feeling. Your heart is in safe hands! I need to learn to do it, too. That way I will save myself a lot of unnecessary heartache and live a peaceful life!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On love and attachments.

Learning to live without the person whom we loved more than our life is one of the toughest things we humans experience during our life.
Almost every moment of our day we spend in their shadows, enveloped in their love; we don't even realise when they became an extension of our selves. We come to accept them along with their flaws, their peculiarities, which often have the potential to drain us of our patience. Yet, we love them, unconditionally, at times wondering how we survived before they entered our world. Often, we also wonder how we will ever survive after they leave our world.

The human mind is such.  Its ability to give birth to a thought and then mull over it however unpleasant it may be, is quite baffling! We realise we stand to lose our sanity if we don't get rid of that negative thought; we understand how important it is to live in the moment and enjoy it with the loved ones we fear losing someday, yet we keep worrying ourselves to death about what would happen t…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

MOM - Film Review.

Starring: Sridevi, Akshaye Khanna, Nawazuddin Siddiqui.

Director: Ravi Udyawar

Music: A.R. Rahman.

Rating: 4/5


Because God couldn't be everywhere, He created Mother. A line from the movie, it could very well sum up the movie for you. Sridevi couldn't have chosen a better subject for her 300th film. I haven't been a diehard Sridevi fan, but her last film, English Vinglish, changed my opinion of her and that's the reason I simply wanted to see MOM, right on the day it released.

MOM is emotional; MOM is electrifying; MOM is hard-hitting; MOM is riveting, right till the end.  In short, MOM is Sridevi. This could very well be the review in a nutshell, but there's more I would love to talk about.

Devki Sabarwal (Sridevi) is a school teacher, the kind one can never mess with, whoever you may be. However, at home, she struggles to bond with her 18 year old step-daughter, Arya (Sajal Ali). The quiet acceptance and the sensitivity with which she accepts the cold vibes she r…