Skip to main content

Anything but books.

My dear friend,  Shantala Nayak of Shanaya Tales, recently  shared a post, which was about anything but books. It spoke a lot about Shantala, the person, instead of Shantala, the book reviewer. It was, indeed, a wonderful way of learning more about her, her likes, her idiosyncrasies and about things that we generally don't care to share with the world. And, the lady tagged me at the end of the post, so, it goes without saying that I, too, have to publish a similar "about me" post and, inadvertently, pull out a few skeletons out of my closet!

So, Shantala, here goes...

Name a cartoon(s) that you love.

It has to be Tom and Jerry, the loveable scoundrels! I would watch it as a child and laugh like crazy and I watch it now and find it equally amusing. Then, there was also this one cartoon about robots...can't remember the name.. oh yes, The Flying Robot! And, yes, Fireball, too. Back then, I would sing along when the title song would be played even though I hardly followed the lyrics, but watching English (foreign) cartoons (even in black and white) and singing English songs was akin to being considered a "snob" for us kids. And, we were just 11 or 12, if I remember well.
For most of you, I might seem like someone from the stone age, considering the names of the cartoons I mentioned surely seem archaic. Moreover, when I was little, it was still the black and white era on television. 
Now, don't start guessing my age...I am not that old! 


What is your favourite song right now? 

Umm..right now, my favourite song is...I really can't pick out any one in particular because I keep listening to music throughout the day as I go about my daily chores or work in the kitchen. However, there is this one that comes to my mind right now which is "Tum pukarlo...tumhara intezar hai," (roughly translated as "Call out to me...I miss you!) from the movie Khamoshi. It's a movie from the golden era of Bollywood starring Waheeda Rehman, Dharmendra and Rajesh Khanna. 
I keep humming this song when I don't  hear from hubby during the day, or from a dear friend in a really long time in the hope that the person I think about might give me a call! 

Yeah, go ahead, laugh all you want, but this writer is a die hard romantic and a writer, to top it all, with an imagination as fertile as the most fertile soil in India! 
Eeks, that's really not a great analogy, but you do get the point, don't you? Tee-hee!


What could you do for hours (that isn't reading)?

 I could day dream all day long! My dad has always called me the Dream-y girl, right since I was little. It helps a lot, in that I am never in need of company; I can be by myself and never get bored!  Apart from that, I can watch reruns of Friends. Endlessly. And, being a lot like the control freak Monica Gellar Bing from the TV show, I can spend my time polishing/scrubbing/cleaning anything and everything, you name it! Provided I am in the right kinda mood! 

What's something that your followers would be surprised by?

Well, this might spoil the impression my friends might have about me, but I can be quite selfish/miserly when it comes to chocolates and cheese. I love to have it all for myself. I CANNOT share either of these, ever. Often, Chikoo would ask for a piece of cheese I would be eating and I would find it immensely difficult to part with even a bit! Yes, I was his mum, but I just didn't have it in me to share my favourite cheese with my baby! 
So,  do not expect a bite of chocolate/cheese from me if you happen to see me eating it. I can come up with all sorts of excuses to avoid sharing! 😜

What is your favourite unnecessarily specific thing to learn (this can do with books, I guess). 

 Umm, I like to learn about stuff that I may not necessarily remember the next day. The geography of some place I might never visit, ever, or how homicide detectives look for clues at the scene of a murder! Things I will never need, information I will never retain. In fact, I could learn about the countless unnecessarily specific things I learn about! However, it really helps learning such stuff when one has to pass time when stuck in a traffic jam, or when the wifi/TV/phone have conked out.


What is something unusual you know how to do?

Frankly, I don't consider myself very knowledgeable. The few things I can do very well, are the things almost every second person is capable of doing. But, to name one thing, well, I can administer medicines (syrups as well as tiny tablets) to a dog, right into his mouth, at the base of his throat. Having had a pet dog for almost 13 years, this is one thing I am adept at. And, considering not every second person owns a pet (I have also had pet parents ask me how I shoved my hand into Chikoo's mouth) I think this qualifies for being an unusual skill, isn't it? 

Name something you have made in the last year (and show us, if you can).

Sketching and baking are the two creative activities I indulge in apart from writing and I keep sharing my creations with the world as and when I can, so that's that. Nothing else to brag about here! 

What's your most recent personal project? 

It has to be about my blog. I  moved my fiction posts to another blog which I christened, Fictionista ( I love the name!). Other than that, well, time will tell! 😉

Tell us something you think about often (maybe while staring out of the windows). 

Oh, I do that often - staring out of the windows, I mean.  However, my  mind is an eternal wanderer, so there's really nothing specific it keeps thinking about. I reminisce about my life with Chikoo; about how far I have come from where I began (in life and blogging) ; about friends who have gone away; about what the future might bring along with it; about my wardrobe and jewellery (typical girlie stuff!) and, about what I would like to eat right now! 

Give us something that's your favourite, but make it something that's oddly specific, not like your favourite food, but like your favourite food when you have been studying for hours and forgot to eat. Or, you know, something like that. 

I love to gorge on pani puri after I have spent a lot of time baking. Not that I don't love cakes, but the mere sight of too many cup cakes/cookies makes me desperate to devour those hot and spicy pani puris, the spicier they are, the better! 

Also, each time I eat something sweet, I need to eat something savoury, instantly,  and vice versa. And, I have to have my all time favourite banana chips after I have had coffee (which has to be chilled and not hot!)

So, that's all about me. I know, it was a longish post, but I hope you aren't yawning from boredom! 

Care to share something unusual about yourself with me? It would be fun to know you better! 

Love,

SHILPA...





Comments

  1. What a fun post of Shilpa facts and fancy. Enjoyed reading about you and your fun answers to the questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy! I am glad you enjoyed it! I enjoyed writing it! :)

      Delete
  2. Interesting to read more about you, Shilpa. I would also like to make this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vasantha! Yes, do it! :)

      Delete
  3. Ah ha!!!! Thats so nice knowing you Shilpa!!!! Wishig you luck for Fictionista as hope you gorge on your favourite Paani puris more :)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to get to know you, Shilpa! Tom and Jerry is a fave for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a universal favourite, I guess, Damayanti! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  5. My fellow day-dreamer and out-of-the-window-starer, I thought I would be able to write this post when Shantala tagged me but I guess I won't be able to because my life is all about books and that too children books. It feels like I know nothing else apart from this interest. Getting the medicines down the pet's throat aptly is a skill, which you have definitely have, because in our house only my father had this ability with our pet dog. I have a dream to be able to bake a fine cake someday and everytime from there on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you will bake the perfect cake someday, Anamika!
      Wish you the best! It would have been interesting to know more about you, too! :)

      Delete
  6. Oh dear Shilpa - LOVED this post- yes, feeling like getting to know you even more:-) Fun read -. that you are a dreamer, so protective of your cheese and chocolate:-) And all the best to Fictionista . You will rock it there too, I know:-) Loooooove from Fusionista:-) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, my dear Eli! The names of our respective blogs do have a similar ring to them!

      Delete
  7. Oh this was really fun to read and yes adminstering meds to a dog does take special skill - so well listed!! I didnt know about your other blog- shall explore for sure. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun post, Shilpa. Thank you for sharing more about yourself. Cancer is a war. Bring in the Artillery. https://riseandsoar.com/bringing-artillery-fight-cancer/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for dropping by, Shirley! :)

      Delete
  9. Oh my God, Shilpa, I love that exact same combination. I need chaat (pani puri) after I gorge on baked goods. But since that was such a specific craving, I never thought anyone else would have it. So it made me irrationally happy to read that about you.

    And I love the name Fictionista too. I wish you every success with your new venture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that wonderful that we share some of our idiosyncrasies, Shantala! So, the next time you come visiting, we know what we are going to do....gorge on baked goods and then wash it all down with plates of paani puris! :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On love and attachments.

Learning to live without the person whom we loved more than our life is one of the toughest things we humans experience during our life.
Almost every moment of our day we spend in their shadows, enveloped in their love; we don't even realise when they became an extension of our selves. We come to accept them along with their flaws, their peculiarities, which often have the potential to drain us of our patience. Yet, we love them, unconditionally, at times wondering how we survived before they entered our world. Often, we also wonder how we will ever survive after they leave our world.

The human mind is such.  Its ability to give birth to a thought and then mull over it however unpleasant it may be, is quite baffling! We realise we stand to lose our sanity if we don't get rid of that negative thought; we understand how important it is to live in the moment and enjoy it with the loved ones we fear losing someday, yet we keep worrying ourselves to death about what would happen t…

You are The Man!

I admit, I am late in discussing this event, but did you watch the controversial 'Koffee with Karan' episode, two weeks ago? The one where the ubertalented Kangana Ranaut and Saif Ali Khan were Karan Johar's guests on his famous couch, sipping coffee along with him? Did you notice Kangana's confidence and her sassiness?   Do you remember her repartees, her jibes, her ripostes that were well-aimed at Mr. Johar? How fearlessly she spoke her mind without mincing words! And, she was in conversation with one of the Big Daddies of Bollywood.

I confess, I am an admirer of Ms. Ranaut, and I was blown away by her candour. The fact that she gave two hoots about diplomacy, and about the men in power in the hindi film industry,  shows how self-assured she is. She wasn't born into the industry, with a silver spoon; she entered the industry as an "outsider", who, despite being written off by the industry bigwigs, worked her way up the very competitive ladder, right to…

MOM - Film Review.

Starring: Sridevi, Akshaye Khanna, Nawazuddin Siddiqui.

Director: Ravi Udyawar

Music: A.R. Rahman.

Rating: 4/5


Because God couldn't be everywhere, He created Mother. A line from the movie, it could very well sum up the movie for you. Sridevi couldn't have chosen a better subject for her 300th film. I haven't been a diehard Sridevi fan, but her last film, English Vinglish, changed my opinion of her and that's the reason I simply wanted to see MOM, right on the day it released.

MOM is emotional; MOM is electrifying; MOM is hard-hitting; MOM is riveting, right till the end.  In short, MOM is Sridevi. This could very well be the review in a nutshell, but there's more I would love to talk about.

Devki Sabarwal (Sridevi) is a school teacher, the kind one can never mess with, whoever you may be. However, at home, she struggles to bond with her 18 year old step-daughter, Arya (Sajal Ali). The quiet acceptance and the sensitivity with which she accepts the cold vibes she r…